RC Enthusiast

Question 33 cool weather tune

The temps here have dipped below 50, and now I am having one heck of a time with my tune. At factory settings it will fall flat and die under heavy throttle. I have had to richen the high almost 5 turns out and the low needle 2 1/4 to get it to run half way decent. Is this normal for cooler weather? Any explanation would be helpful.

Totally normal…

Cold air is more dense (more O2 per volume) than warmer air.
    Since you will be getting more O2 into the engine you also have to increase the amount of fuel to balance out the air/fuel ratio.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Competitor
    Cold air tuning and starting is a challenge.
    For initial starting, one recommendation is to keep the motor inside until just before starting. Another is to buy a warmer for the unit. Or you can run a hairdryer on warm for a while to heat up the head and block.
    For tuning, remember that cooler air is more dense and requires more fuel. Unfortunately richening the fuel leads to lower engine temps and can make warmup a challenge. When temps dip down into the 30s and low 40s it can make the little engines a pain to keep running, especially at idle. You can put a wrap on the head to aid in maintaining operating temps if you find it too difficult to get temp in it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

RC Qualifier
    Is it ok to also break in the motor during the winter. I want to get a Jato 3.3 for Christmas and I was wondering if it is okay to break in and tune in the 35-50F weather.