RC Champion

Thinking about buying one tonight.

Just want something to mess around with in the house or garage on cold and/rainy days. Are they really worth the $70? What kind of flight times do must people see?

If I was going to buy one I have a save $10 off $50 on tower. Is it worth it lol

Thanks for any input and the only reason I ask is because there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity for it on the forums.

Are you asking about a QR-1 or a DR-1?

I have the QR-1 and have enjoyed it. I bought it just after they came out and have only had one motor failure and a few rotor replacements but that is gone down a lot once I got the hang of flying it and stopped running into walls and such. Great little bird for flying indoors and not too bad outdoors provided it is not too windy
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Oops. I was referring to the QR-1.

It looks like it would be a lot of fun. I actually changed my plan on planning to the QR-1, three extra batteries, two extra sets of blades. That way I reach the $100 mark for free shipping and $25 off.

IS changing the motors something we can do easily? I see they are not that expensive.

IS changing the motors something we can do easily? I see they are not that expensive.
    It is not hard but it does require soldering on the circuit board. My son is really good at soldering and lets NO ONE near his soldering station so he replaced the one motor for me. He did it in about 10 minutes or less.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    If i may chime in for a minute and tell you to NOT buy the QR-1...you'll come out better buying the new Latrax Alias. 10 times better than the QR-1 and i have the QR-1. i can go on for days about how its better but i just thought i should let you know

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...as/trae66.html

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    If i may chime in for a minute and tell you to NOT buy the QR-1...you'll come out better buying the new Latrax Alias. 10 times better than the QR-1 and i have the QR-1. i can go on for days about how its better but i just thought i should let you know

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...as/trae66.html
    The Alias looks really good but keep in mind he is looking for something for indoor flight. The size of the QR-1 makes it more suitable than the Alias for flight in most indoor environments.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Awesome thank you. I do not have a soldering iron but have access to one. Might be time to bite the buller and get one.

I have thought about the Alias but like previously stated I am wanting it more for indoor use. I am not really new, but still a rookie, to flying. And figured the alias would be a little too big for that. Thank you for your input though. It's greatly appreciated G.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    The Alias looks really good but keep in mind he is looking for something for indoor flight. The size of the QR-1 makes it more suitable than the Alias for flight in most indoor environments.
    That is true, QR1 is perfect for almost any indoor size.

What would you approximate the minimum indoor area one would need to fly the Alias? Maybe not just area but height too, do you need a higher ceiling- very large room for indoor flying??

RC Champion
    The alias is my first venture into to flight. Its a great starter and very durable but indoor flight is a bit difficult. You can do it and I practiced in my house but id suggest a gym sized area for it to truly shine flight wise.
    Rustler, Bandit, Summit, Emaxx, Rally, and Alias

RC poster
    Qr1!!! I haven't flown it yet but all I see or hear is all good!!
    Now the dr1 I got 2 weeks ago.. broke the fly bar and now I can't fly it or find any parts that I can swap it out for!! I'm really upset about this.. so I ordered $50 in parts and at the end the guy on the phone from traxxas said everything will be shipped but the flybar!!! I feel really let down..
    does anyone know any parts that are compatible with the dr1??? I REALLY NEED SOME HELP HERE!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    That is true, QR1 is perfect for almost any indoor size.

What would you approximate the minimum indoor area one would need to fly the Alias? Maybe not just area but height too, do you need a higher ceiling- very large room for indoor flying??
    I fly my Alias and my QR-1 in a bedroom converted to a computer room and exercise room that is loaded with a treadmill and many things, it is a 5 foot by 5 foot square that is clear enough to fly in and a 8 foot ceiling with a ceiling fan in the center and have no problem's at all, granted it is mostly hovering and small circuits but still it is very easy in small spaces to control and both have no problems with ground effect at all or wind off of furniture.
    Last edited by moe3754; 01-23-2014 at 09:58 PM.