RC Enthusiast

Taking a Summit on the airlines

Hey all, wasn't sure where to post this...

I tried to search here for the answer but didn't find what I was looking for.

Next week I am taking the airlines home for Thanksgiving, and I would like to take my full size summit with me. I am thinking about putting it in a full size suitcase and checking the bag....I am also thinking about taking it as my carry on item.

Has anyone here ever done either one of these while airlining somewhere? Obviously I am most concerned about the truck not getting damaged. I have seen how the airline ramp workers toss bags around.

I am fine taking the truck on the plane with me, if it's allowed. I have no idea if it would be allowed or not.

I usually check in the vehicles and carry on the lipos. This allows you to explain what they are and why you are bringing them on the plane....TSA guys are very familiar with rc lipo batteries and I have never had issues anywhere that I ahve flown. I would make sure that the packs are in good condition, though (no puffing), and set them into 'storage mode' before making the trip.
    If you have nimh's, just pack them with the car as a check in, no biggie.....

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds good. I will probably do that. Now, as far as packing my truck in the suitcase so it doesn't get damaged, what do you suggest? I've never shipped a vehicle before, not sure how most people do it. Especially in a suitcase that isn't completely rigid.

RC Qualifier
    I never have but I would just pack foam around it

RC Qualifier
    I've taken my 1/10th crawler with me. Used a large duffle bag. They will want to open the bag and search it. I called the airline and told them I had an electric rc with lipo batteries that I wanted to carry with me on the plane. Said it wouldn't be a problem and it wasn't. The lady that checked my bag said she sees them a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I would ship it UPS via if I wanted to take it with... I have more faith in UPS/FedEx vs Airline, not to mention USPS... Me only being 17 I have had a few well, and I mean well packed laptops DESTROYED in high dollar suitcases. USPS, at least in my section have actually tossed my packages at the doorstep(I wish I had it on video). It has been TWO USPS employees that have done that, I now have a new mailman. I tip the guy a few bucks so he will be extra nice to my stuff when it is delivered via USPS. Yes this is a little off topic besides the first sentence. Packing peanuts is what my RCs' get shipped with, along with laptops in bubble wrap...
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I will need to figure out something myself because we're flying to Maine for Christmas and I need to decide between my slash or e revo. or maybe I could figure out how to take both! I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    Is your E-Revo brushless? If so is it waterproof. Then you could take it in the snow!