Thread: Off-road Jato

RC poster

Off-road Jato

Hi guys, I just ordered the jato 3.3 and plan to make it off-road. I've done a lot of research and I've seen the post about the "ultimate off-road jato". But I'm sure there are better things now the when that was posted.

From what I've learned this is my shopping lost as of now.

Proline badlands/trenches 2.8
    20t clutch bell
    Rpm wide front bumper

I know I should upgrade the a arms. Should I get aluminum or rpm?

I'm going to be bashing it, so if there's any other musts, please let me know.

Also what are your thoughts on the stock shocks for bashing?

Thankyou!

RC Competitor
    Im using the stock shocks myself but I have changed the springs (tan in front, silver in rear) and shock oil(I think I have 35w in the front). Also using the RR 20t clutch bell and 54t spur with Badlands in rear and dirt hawgs in the front. RPM arms (rpm has lifetime warranty on their products) and bumper. Don't forget a rx battery pack....I'm using a pro-tek 6v 1600mah pack.

RC Competitor

Here is a bashing pic....I like to use the old body for beating it up. Since I have replaced the arms and bumper, the only thing I have broken is the rear shock mount. I would absolutely replace those too.

RC Competitor
    Hot Racing also offers different spring sets for the Jato, maybe go ahead and order a few different sets so you can play with you spring rates:

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?c=180

RC poster
    My Jato is nothing but a yard thrasher. I would upgrade the A arms to RPM as cheap insurance when you crash into (say a large log in my case) I went with some Thrashers from Pro-Line but since this is a 5" tire I am using a 56/ spur and 22/cb. Not the added traction will strain the tranny once you get away from the stock gears. So my second upgrade is a bit more $$$ and that is to get the Hot Racing all metal trans gears. other than the stinger mod mine is all stock and doing great with some jumps about 4' but more up and down not a long jump and wheelies across the yard.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeyta View Post
    My Jato is nothing but a yard thrasher. I would upgrade the A arms to RPM as cheap insurance when you crash into (say a large log in my case) I went with some Thrashers from Pro-Line but since this is a 5" tire I am using a 56/ spur and 22/cb. Not the added traction will strain the tranny once you get away from the stock gears. So my second upgrade is a bit more $$$ and that is to get the Hot Racing all metal trans gears. other than the stinger mod mine is all stock and doing great with some jumps about 4' but more up and down not a long jump and wheelies across the yard.
    How does the stinger mod work...I know you drill it out, but did you gain any performance or did it just get louder? I was thinking about drilling mine, but can't decide if I should just get another pipe.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-21-2014 at 11:18 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by diRt_JATO View Post
    How does the stinger mod work...I know you drill it out, but did you gain any performance or did it just get louder? I was thinking about drilling mine, but can't decide if I should just get another pipe.
    The Stinger mod does work and pretty noticeable from the low end to mid and notices the idle was much more consistent and helped the 11K carb hold tune on different days better. Though I may have went to large (1/4") and I am getting a little lean on the high RPM end. It will get louder. I am replacing the stock pipe with a THS that should be in by Friday along with a Losi Carb that should help my 3.3 get better power out. In the end I would say it is a very nice mod and you get a good bang for buck ($0) out of it.

I think the best Size for the Stinger mod is 15/64" that still had the best tune without leaning out on the high end.

I see your in Goldsboro,NC, I am just down the road in Fuquay-Varina, NC

RC Qualifier
    I used paddle tires, great off road traction and I locked my diff for even more traction.
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeyta View Post
    I see your in Goldsboro,NC, I am just down the road in Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Yeah not too far...pm me, maybe take you out to BUSCO (google it) Its an RC'ers Paradise. We dirt drag out there a lot during the warm season.

Which Losi carb is everyone running on the Jato to get more oooommmphhh?

RC poster
    losi 3.4 I have mine and you wouldn't believe how much more power you will make.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Fczm7AoduQ4AJQ

I have heard of Busco park never been there.

RC poster
    Hi do you still have the .15 for sale? Thanks

RC poster

Thumbs up Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by duramaxin View Post
    I used paddle tires, great off road traction and I locked my diff for even more traction.
    That is awesome ! Did you use heavy oil in the diff to lock it ? Thanks