Thread: 3.3 question

RC poster

3.3 question

On my nitro slash I noticed i was getting a noise similar to chain slop. Could not for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. After losing a spur gear i realized the clutch bell was rattling and super loose. Replaced the bearings that were gone and went out to run it. Starts and idles just fine, but when you go to take off out just revs really high and slowly takes off. If you slowly get into the throttle it does just fine. It also overheated after about a tank and a half ish.

Im thinking the clutch is gone, but any other opinions are appreciated. Thanks

It sounds like your slipper clutch is loose, I'd check that first.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    Either slipper is too loose or your clutch is toast. Like Wolf slash said check your slipper and make sure its adjusted properly.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    How do i adjust it? I pulled the clutch bell off, replaced the bearings and tossed it back on... Didn't see any adjustment.

RC Qualifier
    The clutch inside the clutch bell is referred to as, The Clutch. The slipper clutch is behind the spur gear. It's tightened by turning the nut in the center of the spur gear clockwise. You can check the pads by taking that same nut off and the slipper assembly will come off. If they're broken or missing you'll need new ones, but also check to see if they're glazed from overheating. If they are glazed a little light sanding will help.

RC poster
    Ok i did all this, got my slipper clutch tightened up, truck is ruining great.

But, now i just roasted another set of bearings on my clutch bell which then destroyed another spur gear... Are there special bearings i need to use on the crankshaft? O used the Traxxas sealed bearings but this set went out after maybe 4 tanks. Is this something i need to deal with on the 3.3? My old .15 never had this problem.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Watch the language and remove the ** from your post as the language filter has been tripped.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-19-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: language

RC Qualifier
    The bearings for a clutch bell are made specifically for the clutch bell. I'm not sure if they have a special name. When I buy mine at the hobby store I just tell them I need bearings for a clutch bell and what size.

RC Competitor
    It's been my experience that metal shielded bearings tend to last a bit longer than the rubber shielded ones. Clutch bell bearings should be considered an expendable item. With that being said, even the cheapest bearings I have ever used have lasted way more than 4 tanks. Perhaps your clutch bell, or crankshaft became damaged when you had the earlier problems. I would take it all back apart and inspect everything very well. Also make sure you don't forget the Teflon washer that goes on after the outer bearing but before the e-clip. If that is missing it could possibly allow the bearings to wear out at a faster than normal pace. Good luck.