RC Competitor

traxxas link training mode with older tq receiver?

I got a great deal on a 1/16 digger because the guy said it ran slow and couldnt figure out why. Got it home, re-bound and calibrated the radio, and 5 minutes later problem resolved.... but now its too fast for my son lol.
    I grabbed my tqi and bound the receiver to it. Recalibrated again and all works fine, but I cant get training mode to work in the link software. I can enter training, set the throttle % and apply, but it does not appear to do anything. I went back to my slash with tqi receiver and confirmed training mode works fine on it.

I read through the compatibility guide and know telemtry will not work, but no mention of training mode. I also searched the forums and didnt come up with an answer. Can anyone confirm if this is supposed to work using tq receiver model 2218x?

RC Competitor
    Looks like it may be an issue with the receiver. It lost sync twice today and I had to re bind and calibrate. 2nd time would not calibrate. Switched the tx from 70/30 to 50/50 and then it calibrated fine. Tested training mode in the traxxas link app again and it now worked as is should. Thought I was good to go, but it lost sync again. I suppose it isa good excuse to get a new rx.

Training mode is a ESC feature.

What servo is in the 16th?
    They are known to cause loads of electrical issues when they start to fail. I have seen "working" servos cause this exact issue before.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Ok... Made a little head way and I think I nailed down the problem specifically to a calibration issue. If I bind and calibrate with the original tq radio on 50/50 or 70/30, I have no issues at all.

Now, when I bind and calibrate with my new tqi tx to the 2218x rx, it will not actually callibrate properly on 50/50 or 70/30. 50/50 works ok and training mode seems to function but reverse doesnt calibrate correctly and acts a little wacky. 70/30 mode does not calibrate throttle correctly and has a large dead band before going straight to full throttle. I believe that's why throttle expo and training mode didnt seem to work properly.

I have verified I am using the correct calibration proceedure. I tried another tqi tx and got the same result. I have verified that I can bind and properly calibrate both 50/50 and 70/30 with this tx on my slash that has the newer tqi rx. The tqi compatibility page says this tx should work with the 2218x rx.

Is this a compatibility problem?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Training mode is a ESC feature.

What servo is in the 16th?
    They are known to cause loads of electrical issues when they start to fail. I have seen "working" servos cause this exact issue before.
    I am refering to training mode in the traxxas link iphone app. See my above post - training mode not working proved to be a symptom of the tqi tx not calibrating correctly when bound to the 2218x rx.

I am using the stock 2080 servo. I am aware of some weird issues that can be caused by a failing servo and already swapped in my spare with the same result. Besides, the original tx still binds and calibrates correctly.
    Last edited by c0rpse; 11-17-2013 at 09:21 PM.

RC Competitor
    I went ahead and swapped out the receiver with my slash. Still will not calibrate correctly. Is looking more like a flakey esc maybe?

If thats the case though, does anyone know why the original tx still binds and calibrates correctly? Esc is the xl2.5.
    Last edited by c0rpse; 11-17-2013 at 10:36 PM.

RC Competitor
    I had some extra time last night to swap things around and test. I have confirmed that I cannot calibrate the xl2.5 with any of my tqi transmitters no matter what receiver I use.

The original tx will calibrate and work without issue. Has anyone else seen this, and is there a work around?

I am now wondering if the xl2.5 I have can't calibrate correctly to the newer tqi because of the higher frame rates? Do I just have an older xl2.5 or is the esc faulty?
    Last edited by c0rpse; 11-20-2013 at 01:19 PM.