RC Champion

Question I mucked it up ...computer help needed

Hey guys been dealing with my computer haveing a virus...got all my needed stuff off of it. So i thought since im cleaning it out that i should clean the dust out of it. So i had taken out the cpu heat sink and fan ,chassis/system fan,graphics card heat sink and fan,and hard drive.

Finished cleaning the whole system.and reassembled the system. Powered it up and nothing it turns on and the fans spool up but nothing else.

I dont know what to do...i hope i didnt kill it during surgery.
    In the past the computer has only done this a couple times once when i took the ram out and most recently when i changed the font size for the system. But after it siting /restarting it comes back good but this time it hasnt

Thank you guys for your help
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    Reseat anything that you have taken out, MAKE SURE THE POWER BUTTON (probably a ribbon cable) is connected to the Motherboard. It's a flat little cable if you don't know. What model is your laptop, and how old is it? I still have a old Dell D531 from 2007 and it runs great,(I don't use it anymore except when I travel) only on it"s second battery. If it's under 2010 a replacement may be suggested, I have never had any problems with ANY of 6 Dell latitudes. I always upgrade RAM, Sometimes wireless card, sometimes CPU, and ALWAYS have an SSD form Crucial. I am currently running a Dell E6410 and run's flawless. I even got rid of the disc drive(who REALLY uses those anymore) and added in the secondary HDD module for all my movies/and other stuff. I keep next to nothing besides the OS on my main drive. Not that Dell is the best but they have been great for me(Latitude and Precision line ONLY). I do not suggest getting an Inspiron from Dell because they are just like the stock Summit tires durability.... they don't last and they don't like upgrades(IMO)
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    Assuming all the power and other cables are plugged in and in their original places, including the fans, etc...

Do you get any beeps, or series of beeps, at boot? Pull the CPU and the memory and re-seat. Then try again.
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

RC Racer
    okay did you take the heatsink off the processor and if you did did you put more thermal paste on it? if not go to radio shack and get thermal paste then apply it. if you already did take out all the ram clean off the contacts and put them back into the motherboard if you have a graphics card re-install it into the motherboard. if it still doesnt work it could be your power supply or mother board or a handfull of other parts there is no need to replace the computer just take it to the computer shop near you and have them see what wrong with it then replace the part. i have built 7 desktops my first one when i was 11 both for gaming and school use and anytime i have had the same problem it has mostly been something i didn't install right and just needed re installed.
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    okay did you take the heatsink off the processor and if you did did you put more thermal paste on it? if not go to radio shack and get thermal paste then apply it. if you already did take out all the ram clean off the contacts and put them back into the motherboard if you have a graphics card re-install it into the motherboard. if it still doesnt work it could be your power supply or mother board or a handfull of other parts there is no need to replace the computer just take it to the computer shop near you and have them see what wrong with it then replace the part. i have built 7 desktops my first one when i was 11 both for gaming and school use and anytime i have had the same problem it has mostly been something i didn't install right and just needed re installed.

I feel you there, sucks when you forget to plug in the PWR cable to the board and you start shaking! I had to stop with computers because they were too times consuming and my grades were starting to show it... Maybe the wall outlet you are trying to use is not working(has happened to me aw well)?
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Reseat anything that you have taken out, MAKE SURE THE POWER BUTTON (probably a ribbon cable) is connected to the Motherboard. It's a flat little cable if you don't know. What model is your laptop, and how old is it? I still have a old Dell D531 from 2007 and it runs great,(I don't use it anymore except when I travel) only on it"s second battery. If it's under 2010 a replacement may be suggested, I have never had any problems with ANY of 6 Dell latitudes. I always upgrade RAM, Sometimes wireless card, sometimes CPU, and ALWAYS have an SSD form Crucial. I am currently running a Dell E6410 and run's flawless. I even got rid of the disc drive(who REALLY uses those anymore) and added in the secondary HDD module for all my movies/and other stuff. I keep next to nothing besides the OS on my main drive. Not that Dell is the best but they have been great for me(Latitude and Precision line ONLY). I do not suggest getting an Inspiron from Dell because they are just like the stock Summit tires durability.... they don't last and they don't like upgrades(IMO)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but ribbon cables are used for data transfer (hard drives, optical drives, etc). Power button usually connects to the motherboard with a single cable. As for the Crucial and SSDs, all brands have their qwerks and I can say Crucial does as well, I don't see any interest from the OP in SSDs.

I also see nothing about a laptop, I will assume it's a desktop. If you've taken the CPU and heatsink off, you MUST re-install thermal paste. Otherwise, your heat transfer will not be nearly as efficient. But, the computer should still boot up. Take the CPU back out and check for bent pins and make sure you put the CPU in the right way... there usually are notches or a triangle in most motherboard socket corner and on the CPU corner to know the correct way.

Also note if there is any beeps, known for POST beeps. The number and length of beeps will tell you specifically what is wrong with the system (with some googling). You should at least get to some prompt (usually the request for boot media) if the hard drive isn't connected.

Video card is a possible issue, does your video card have fans to know if it's getting power?
    Is your hard drive spinning up?
    Assuming you also connected to the video card and not the onboard video (it's usually disabled in BIOS when a card is detected).
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    generally the interval power cables on laptops are not ribbon cables. I have had an old Asus that had that feature years back though, I don't know the age of his PC so.... I know he runs Vista(EW!) But now days it's usually a white little plug in thing(kind of like a small balance plug for a lipo) Maybe am display cable could be causing this? And traxxasbrothers, I will pick up a Crucial M4 before another Intel SSD any day because I have had TWO Intel's die within the first month versus an M4 from Crucial with 2K hours on it still running strong. Yes most brands have there special moments that require some tinkering...
    Last edited by Spartanator; 11-13-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    And traxxasbrothers, I will pick up a Crucial M4 before another Intel SSD any day because I have had TWO Intel's die within the first month versus an M4 from Crucial with 2K hours on it still running strong. Yes most brands have there special moments that require some tinkering...
    Odd, I have had probably built 4 computers with Intel SSDs... none have had a problem. Those were done about 2 years ago and have a tremendous amount of use on them and still running good (I've either texted or called those clients, just now). But obviously whatever you do is up to you. Anyways, this is a little off topic from what the OP is asking.

RC Champion
    hey guys figured it out the first and second time...... but eny way what i should of included in the first post.

i have a 2008 desk top model hp pavilion elite modle#m9458f
    -2.4ghx quad core intel
    -4gb ram
    -ati radeon 3650hd....dont know the specs
    -500gb hdd hard drive
    -tv tuner package(15in 1 card reader- tuner for cable, satalite,am and fm includes remote)
    and light scribe blue ray/dvd burner.

first time around i only had taken out the graphics card and put it back in. seemed to fixe the problem the first time around until nathan reminded me about the heat sink compound.wich got me into the same boat again power's up and nothing not even a beep.so next day and countless hours i decided to boot up with no ram....got the beep you guys are talking about..then proceded to turn off and put in the ram indavidualy between power ups and it had seemed to fix the problem.so everthing is all good now.sept that i havent got around to getting the virus off my computer.....

i want to thank you guys for the support that you all have gave me.

i havent had time to go throught all of the posts since im very short on time right now so i apoligise for miss spelling.and being al over the place
    but there was a coment that was in refrecne to a ssd hard drive: i had been talking to spartenaitor about ssd's a while ago. sorry if there is a problem cuased between the 2........but yes ....i am intrested in getting a ssd drive of around 150-160 gbs. since i havent even surpased 135 gb storage(includeing factory image/hp drivers ,OS , and personals and about 6-7 stored games so the 500 gbs isnt needed.)

and also i have been priceing virus removals vs getting windows 7 and the going rate for virus removal seems to be 90-100 bucks....found one shop that does for 45 bucks...and windows 7 seems to be about 110 bucks . but also want to go to windows7 so 7 seems to be the better option but the big thing is if i install windows 7 will it remove everything from the hard drive?(saying that viruses are in the hard drive to begin with...)
    if not i will begin my computer hobby and get a ssd hard drive.

thank you guys again. more to come
    if not

RC Champion
    A Windows 7 disk/license being yes, $110... I'd go that route. Re-installing Windows will DELETE EVERYTHING off of your hard drive. Now, if you have had a serious problem, I'd boot 'n nuke the hard drive. Simply because you may have rootkits and those are a pain to remove.

It's a free utility, you just need a USB and boot from it with the boot 'n nuke image
    http://www.dban.org/

This will run a few passes on the hard drive that will make sure the drive is completely formatted so you will have a much lesser chance of those rootkits re-appearing in your new installation. Better safe than sorry.

RC Racer
    yeah heppens to me a lot

RC Qualifier
    No problem red, I would suggest getting a new SSD and installing Windows 7 on that(yes any and everything on the HDD will be ERASED/DELETED. There is a chance that if you use the same Hard drive than a portion of the virus(s) may stay, traxxasbrothers is right, if its an advanced spyware/virus, adware/malware or mongoose(kidding) it could stay. I don't know what your hard drive hours are at but I usually toss traditional hard drives at 25K hours in a laptop and 35K hours in a desktop. my time variate because desktops usually don't move around like laptops. I have had a desktop hard drive at 49K hours, I decided it was time to pull the plug on that... It had no problems and its a proven brand in my book. I would suggest that if you get an SSD you order it from Amazon.com, reason being is because if it does not work than the return process is so easy! No problem for spelling and what not, we all get hurried and don't have time to read the small things. I skip to the good parts sometimes!
    PM for info.....

RC Racer
    No problem red, I would suggest getting a new SSD and installing Windows 7 on that(yes any and everything on the HDD will be ERASED/DELETED. There is a chance that if you use the same Hard drive than a portion of the virus(s) may stay, traxxasbrothers is right, if its an advanced spyware/virus, adware/malware or mongoose(kidding) it could stay. I don't know what your hard drive hours are at but I usually toss traditional hard drives at 25K hours in a laptop and 35K hours in a desktop. my time variate because desktops usually don't move around like laptops. I have had a desktop hard drive at 49K hours, I decided it was time to pull the plug on that... It had no problems and its a proven brand in my book. I would suggest that if you get an SSD you order it from Amazon.com, reason being is because if it does not work than the return process is so easy! No problem for spelling and what not, we all get hurried and don't have time to read the small things. I skip to the good parts sometimes!
    hey how do i check hard drive hours? im pretty sure mines far past 25k hours also on a side note one really really annoying virus is the "moneypak fbi virus" look it up i got that about 4 times but was able to remove it every time funny thing is i dont illegally download anything i use torrents to get minecraft mods which is legal so i knew it was fake

RC Racer
    ok never mind im sitting at about 40k hours i wont replace my drive till it fails i have to many operating systems on it to wan to replace it

RC Champion
    hmmmm dont even know how many hours i have on my hard drive. i have had the same stock drive since 2008

so guys a windows 7 O.S. and a crucial m4 240gb ssd...
    so what are the advantages of a ssd drive over a hhd drive?
    and what are the diffrences between home premeium and ultimate?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hmmmm dont even know how many hours i have on my hard drive. i have had the same stock drive since 2008

so guys a windows 7 O.S. and a crucial m4 240gb ssd...
    so what are the advantages of a ssd drive over a hhd drive?
    and what are the diffrences between home premeium and ultimate?
    as far as hard drive vs ssd rocket ship vs Prius

RC Champion
    hmmm okay ...lol car vs person in a race . got it

RC Racer
    hmmm okay ...lol car vs person in a race . got it
    exactly and as far as windows 7 ultimate vs home edition i honestly cant tell much of a difference i have ultimate on my desktop and home edition on my laptop with ultimate you do get backgrounds at your locks screen and a few other nice features but its not that different

RC Qualifier
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...mpare#T1=tab01

^^^^^For Windows 7 comparing^^^
    SSD drives have no moving parts, so in a laptop they are great!
    SSD drives are lighter(weight)
    SSD drives are faster, but not always! This can depend on your motherboard Sata connectors/cables
    SSD drives are quieter(no moving parts)
    SSD drives are usually cooler (temp wise)
    SSD drives, well you can say you have one!

I will never run Windows 7 home because the simple fact that it says home.... I like the sound of professional.
    Sorry I am slow on replies, I am saving my iPhone data for Thanksgiving vacation because we go to our "Ranch" in Kerrville, TX once a year so it's pointless to run internet there.... We have TV though!
    What I would do is get a small 120GB SSD and have another Hybrid SSD for storage like movies, music, pictures, and so-on.... It allows the computer to run faster. I run a laptop with a 120Gb SSD (Crucial M4) with a secondary Western Digital 250GB(Will upgrade very soon)
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    okay thank you......
    just wondering on the O.S. 7 ram limit. since centian versions limit you on ram. right now i have O.S. vista home premium and its max is 16gb of ram where if i were to go 1 up then i would be able to have more ram on my computer.
    (my mother board has 4 ddr2 ram slots so i could easly go to 12gb ram with 4x3gbs cards.but then there are bottle necks.being mother board and O.S. capabilitys)

spartanator:
    with 2 hard drives the computer is faster?

found the ram limit for windows 7.....home premium-16gb limit,and pro-192gb limit(how in the world ?)

RC Champion
    okay thank you......
    just wondering on the O.S. 7 ram limit. since centian versions limit you on ram. right now i have O.S. vista home premium and its max is 16gb of ram where if i were to go 1 up then i would be able to have more ram on my computer.
    (my mother board has 4 ddr2 ram slots so i could easly go to 12gb ram with 4x3gbs cards.but then there are bottle necks.being mother board and O.S. capabilitys)

spartanator:
    with 2 hard drives the computer is faster?

found the ram limit for windows 7.....home premium-16gb limit,and pro-192gb limit(how in the world ?)
    The more you fill up a SSD the slower it will get, so just have the OS on a SSD is the best choice. Keep the OS, and some necessary software (antivirus) on the OS SSD.

As for the ram limits, 32bit will only support up to 4GB of ram (usually comes up as 3.75gb) therefore anything higher will be useless. You will need to upgrade to 64bit for anything higher. Windows x64 Home Editions does not support anything higher than 16GB of ram. So, to go any higher than 16GB you will need to go with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate (I believe they both support up to 192gb)

Motherboard isn't a huge bottleneck unless you have a outdated chipset and bios.

Edit: just read your ram limit part.
    Last edited by traxxasbrothers; 11-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    exactly and as far as windows 7 ultimate vs home edition i honestly cant tell much of a difference i have ultimate on my desktop and home edition on my laptop with ultimate you do get backgrounds at your locks screen and a few other nice features but its not that different
    The big difference (reason why I run Ultimate on my desktop) is XP Mode and to edit group policies.

RC Champion
    post 21:
    okay i get it with the ssd's now.more info takes more time to look throught.
    so with a dual ssd setup i could go with a ssd that has about 50gb's for O.S. and norton 360. then have a secondary ssd for everything else. and it would be overal faster then if were to go with a singal ssd drive.
    dont get me wrong faster can be better. but right now. my computer's hard drive is fast enought for me. its just the reliability and lower memory that im wanting with a ssd.since disk's can fail. and 139gb was the max that i have ever had on the hard drive.

and odd question how in the world do you manage to use or even have 192gb of ram on a desktop?

RC Champion
    post 21:
    okay i get it with the ssd's now.more info takes more time to look throught.
    so with a dual ssd setup i could go with a ssd that has about 50gb's for O.S. and norton 360. then have a secondary ssd for everything else. and it would be overal faster then if were to go with a singal ssd drive.
    dont get me wrong faster can be better. but right now. my computer's hard drive is fast enought for me. its just the reliability and lower memory that im wanting with a ssd.since disk's can fail. and 139gb was the max that i have ever had on the hard drive.

and odd question how in the world do you manage to use or even have 192gb of ram on a desktop?

Most people just put the OS on a SSD and your programs on a standard hard drive. I would suggest a Western Digital blue or black. The bigger the HDD, the higher the chance of failure... that is what seems to be the trend, so anything 1TB and lower is pretty much good. Hard drives are cheap now a days, incredibly cheap. SSDs still need to drop in price. So - I'd recommend maybe a 60-80GB SSD for your OS and antivirus and then any files/programs/photos/etc you should put on the HDD.

In reality, no one really needs 192gbs of ram. It's overkill. If you wanted to run Battlefield 4 in 10 windows along with rendering 5 videos as well, 192gb MAY suit your needs. Otherwise - no one really needs that much. I know some 2 guys solved pi to like the 1 billionth decimal or something, they needing the 192gb of ram they had.

There are also RAM drives, which is basically using your ram as storage space (as if it was a HDD). RAM Drives are INCREDIBLY fast, beats SSDs lol. But - they are volatile... so once they loose power everything is erased. :P
    Last edited by traxxasbrothers; 11-19-2013 at 12:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I think the blue versions spin at 5400RPM and the black versions spin at 7200RPM. Take a guess which is faster.... The black version. Yes I have had a computer with 32GB ram, it's a pure waste of money unless you are a movie editor... My desktops usaully have 8GB-12GB. 4GB and your computer is happy, 6GB it cracks a smile, 8GB is a smile, and anything else it the biggest grin you have ever seen!
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    I think the blue versions spin at 5400RPM and the black versions spin at 7200RPM. Take a guess which is faster.... The black version. Yes I have had a computer with 32GB ram, it's a pure waste of money unless you are a movie editor... My desktops usaully have 8GB-12GB. 4GB and your computer is happy, 6GB it cracks a smile, 8GB is a smile, and anything else it the biggest grin you have ever seen!
    It's sorta different. Desktop drives usually all spin at 7200rpm, laptop drives spin at 5400rpm.
    I believe all laptop blue and green WD drives spin at the 5400rpm

WD Black laptop drives spin at the full size rate, 7200rpm.
    All WD desktop drives (blue, black or green) spin at 7200rpm
    The only way to get higher, is to upgrade to WD's velociraptor at 10k rpm. Which, is not needed in a standard desktop config.
    The green drives are generally what they call, IntelliPower, they spin at different rates to what is needed (to save energy).
    Only differences I know of between WD's line of HDDs (green, blue and black) is where black has the 5yr warranty and have a larger cache (I believe they are all the same now, though).

My desktop pc, which is one I built 6-7 months ago. It has 8GB of ram, plenty for what I need to do with it, homework, occasional video editing and some gaming. RAM is one of those over-hyped things, RAM is there to be used and if it's not used... it's useless. The only thing that makes a computer slow due to the ram, is that the computer needs more. It's capping out the ram it has already, so if you have a old computer with 512mb of ram... it's possibly using the full 512mb at some points which makes it appear slow.
    Last edited by traxxasbrothers; 11-21-2013 at 08:56 AM.

RC Qualifier
    WD even has a red hdd now for NAS configs... Any of the laptops I have had(almost all ordered direct from Dell/Alienware) have had the option to change your internal hdd from 5400RPM to a 7200RPM, take a guess which I picked! This is a little hard to see but you can open image in new tab and that may help a bit...
    PM for info.....

RC Competitor
    reod12x2....... in the future beware of static electricity from your body even touching any electronic component. That will really mess it up. Unload the static before doing any work, or wear one of those anti-static bracelet things for engineers.
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit