Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

my first rally car

well its official. just now finished my order on tower for my green latrax rally. me and some friends were looking for something to run indoors of 1/18th scale so this was the option i chose over some of the cheaper options from other companies with less parts supply as well. there are already more upgrades available for the latrax then most of the other options combined lol.

so........ this will be my official thread for it! now it just needs to hurry up and arrive lol.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

just checked and my rally was marked as shipped today
    Drag It!

guess i should have ordered my car one day sooner. its scheduled for delivery by the end of monday lol.
    Drag It!

cant wait, mine will be in tomorrow, and my friends will be in tuesday. he already has a track setup in his basement for us to run on. and since he didnt know i ordered the green one he did as well lol. so i went back and ordered some of the "black chrome" wheels/tires for mine. depending cant wait though
    Drag It!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Cool man. I kept waiting to see if you got it over the weekend. LOL

I bet its going to be a blast in the basement. Especially for those rainy or cold days you don't want to be outside.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Yeah I wasn't lucky enough to get it over weekend like I had hoped for. So now I'm waiting on 5:00 lol. Just wish I had my own basement so I dont have to go to a friends lol. I'll try and get pics n video tonight. Dont know that it will get posted tonight though. Check and see lol.
    Drag It!

so............... i got my latrax rally..................... and..................... its awesome! i love it. got some pics for you guys, and video's uploading right now.

sitting at the starting line on my friends basement track.

getting ready to race his 1/16 losi 2wd

heres a little size comparison to a 1/16 losi

decided to change the track a little

gotta say i am super happy with my purchase as of now. cant wait for the upgrades to really start coming available. and my first is already on the way, so hope you guys enjoy waiting

ill get the videos on as soon as there done uploading to youtube
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Nice track you got there.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    wow. that track just makes having this car even better I bet! basement fun lol

yeah, only problem is that its not my track. its my friend with the losi. and he lives like 30 minutes away from me almost lol. but his rally came in today as well. so now i will have equal competition. but the first video is done uploading finally so here it is guys. enjoy. (keep in mind battery not even charged yet. litterally strait out of the box running).

Drag It!

ok well here is the second video with a fully charged battery now (still the included 5 cell). watch for the camera change angle and the close up shots and let me know what you guys think of it all. didnt do any editing what so ever on either video either i will add.

Drag It!

My first upgrade is out for delivery and every week at my work there's a drawing for an extra $50 on someone's paycheck. I won this week so time for more upgrades
    Drag It!

Could you please tell me the box size? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    He who dies with the most toys wins !!!

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Could you please tell me the box size? Thanks!
    sure, can i ask why though out of curiosity?

12 1/8" long x 8 1/4" tall x 7 1/4" wide
    Drag It!

shes hiding out in my toolbox at work

yay.... upgrades

the white isnt bad, but black wheels are where its at on almost every ride

mmmmmhhhhmmmmm id say it was a wide choise.

might pick up some more wheels to play with some dye. but that will be later. im pretty happy with these ones for now

and i just placed my order for next upgrade as well
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-21-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Removal of inappropriate photo
    Drag It!

sure, can i ask why though out of curiosity?

12 1/8" long x 8 1/4" tall x 7 1/4" wide
    Thanks! I live outside the US, it helps to know how it's going to be classified by our local post office (by size and weight) so I could have an estimate on how long I have to wait to get it once it arrives in my country and it clears Customs.
    He who dies with the most toys wins !!!

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Thanks! I live outside the US, it helps to know how it's going to be classified by our local post office (by size and weight) so I could have an estimate on how long I have to wait to get it once it arrives in my country and it clears Customs.

ahh, got ya lol. well hopefully you get it soon, because its a blast i just looked on box but it doesnt say weight of it all. but im sure it wouldnt be to hard to find out. i can probably scale the box and 99% of the packaging with batteries and all for you tomorrow if you want.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Those rims are a nice addition. Lookin' sharp.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    nice! are you going to pick up a clear shell? or is that the next upgrade on the way?

I may pick up a clear one to paint down the road but I'm pretty content with the included one at the same time. So no Thats not the upgrade. But I will tell you that I got email saying it will be shipped today and take 2-3 days. So it may just be here in time for weekend fun

Edit: thank you by the way revoman. I like them alot
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    On this side of Eternity, which means Texas for now
    shes hiding out in my toolbox at work

That's one of the nice things about the LaTrax Rally, it's a very convenient size. I've carried one in my backpack while riding my motorcycle and barely noticed it.

Also, if you ever get the chance to go to a hobby shop with an indoor on road track, preferably carpet, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it does. It's a fun little car.

I love the little thing so far. One of my favorites despite how low end it is compared to my others as far as adjustments to. And despite its limited ground clearance for locatio z to drive it.

Heres my question for you more seasoned guys. I want to change the pinion size but having trouble finding the .5 mod gears. My friend found a 3 piece set from novak that was proper shaft size and pitch but Thats it. The set comes with 11,12, and 13t gears made out of aluminum. But is there another name than .5 mod I could search or something that will mesh up with it? Maybe a different pitch spur gear from another vehicle?
    Drag It!

anyone know if the black oil filled shocks part #7561 are aluminum or plastic? i like how there all blacked out but i would much rather have an aluminum shock than plastic if im going to spend money anyway. the shocks # 7560 say right there anodized aluminum so i was kind of figuring that the 7561 shocks were just plastic. but if someone knows, please do share
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    According to the accessories page the #7561 are plastic, the #7560X is aluminum.

Latrax Accessories page

Looks like gray bodies with blue collar and end cap on the aluminum.

I'm not sure what other spur would fit. .5mod sounds like mini size to me. Robinson racing doesn't list the spec on their rc18t pinions online, but the package lists it at .5 mod.

thats where i was looking. and plus the price is like half for the 7561 which is why i figured they were plastic lol.

ok, i was wondering how robinson racing didnt have .5 mod at all. i just went to there online list lol. maybe ill just call up the lhs i go to and see if they have some in the size im looking for in pinions. i havent checked mine yet, but my buddy temped his the other day and he only has the included 5 cell battery like me right now and his still was at 148 degrees.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    If you guys are trying to figure out the weight, see if it's on the shipping bill or paperwork. Just a thought.

so found this on sale at sears for $10

if you completely take out the top tray the control fits standing up like so. and so perfect even that the lid just barely puts pressure when shut so it holds it perfectly in place. i plan on cutting the top tray around the controller since the car fits under the rest of tray good. then ill have more space.

the new upgrade i was waiting on

and i notice that my pack was just barely rubbing the driveshaft when laying flat plus its a pain to get it and out. so i will be running mine standing up. this stuff holds pretty tight even when you peal at an angle which is the only way its letting go at all.

and i switched my car over to traxxas connector if nobody noticed as well lol

heres the 12t pinion i bought that my lhs had. the selection was a little more limited of what was in stock lol.

if nobody has had there motor out yet theres a little removable plate that fits in the slot to set your gear mesh. just take that out to change pinion size. seemed a hair tighter then the mesh i like as well.

and this pinion is a little longer than other. just barely rubs the case a light bit. but it should probably be fine to run. you cold always drimel the gear down a hair for something if you wanted though

but thats pretty much where im at now. sadly the motor hit 193 degrees one time on less than half of one of these battery packs before i switched the pinion gear. and needless to say smoke was coming out of my motor and its now locked up......... so a new one is already ordered................ but what did i get? that is the next question!
    Drag It!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Looks good man. Good idea on the Craftsman tool box. Think i'm going to pick one up for my dad to store his in. Perfect!!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Looks good man. Good idea on the Craftsman tool box. Think i'm going to pick one up for my dad to store his in. Perfect!!!
    well you can see what mine looks like obviously lol. but its the 17" one. here atleast its normally $15 and i got it on sale for $10.

i love this little car because its so cheap for upgrades not $50+ at a time lol
    Drag It!

sigh............ i want my new motor/esc combo so i can drive my rally again.......... i hate playing the waiting game. was hoping it would be here by wed since mail wont be going thursday but i dont see that happening. so hoping by the weekend.
    Drag It!

Motor and ESC are out for delivery
    Drag It!

heres from the other day. added some stickers.

its only as long as my slash 4x4 is wide lol

hmmmmmm wonder what this could be?

Drag It!

well of course it couldnt just be easy adn the motor bolt right up........ because that would makes sense............ so i had to grind the lip next to the screw flat, then bring the adjuster slot all a little closer. and to keep the screw head touching still i used a washer to bridge to the other side

and heres a few different angles just to try and best show you guys what i did.

it looks so good, like its ment to be

here you can see where i cut part of the stock suround that goes around the regular esc. i did it this way to clear the new esc but still keep the end screw to hold receiver box lid on.

just need to put a battery lead on

had to add mor stickers of course lol

Drag It!

Oops.... Well I got the battery connector on and the car was running great. But I think I just put flat spots I. The front diff lol
    Drag It!

Punch control is your friend.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Your rally has to be sick fast i have a traxxas 380 brushed in mine and its fast but i just lost mine front diff

yeah i havent opened it up yet. but it still drives, the front diff just makes hillarious noises lol. and the gearing i have doesnt even get the engine look warm so i think im going to gear it up higher to eliminate some torque as well as adjust the punch which is all the way off right now lol. so hopefully i can keep diffs in it as well. but i guess there kind of loose inside? so im going to order the bearings and a new diff and shim it all at the same time. then hopefully no more problems. the velcro system seems to be working decent though. battery did pop a little loose one time after my brother slid hard sideways into the wall with it. and just before that the guy at lhs was messing with the battery so i dont know if he loosened it as well. but i think i will work on another hold down as well. so................ time for more upgrades lol

edit:

ok so just got on the old interweb and ordered some parts i have 2 complete differential sets ordered in case i blow another since they are plastic after all. the aluminum axles to go all the way around. and the bearing kit. i was going to get the center shaft to but im trying to limit my spending a litte more. so ill order the center shaft and maybe something else next paycheck next weekend.

good thing is that atleast the car is still drivable right now. and im running stock gearing as well again. motor barely over room temp on lipo now, so im pretty happy about that.
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 11-30-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    ok so just got on the old interweb and ordered some parts i have 2 complete differential sets ordered in case i blow another since they are plastic after all. the aluminum axles to go all the way around. and the bearing kit. i was going to get the center shaft to but im trying to limit my spending a litte more. so ill order the center shaft and maybe something else next paycheck next weekend.

good thing is that atleast the car is still drivable right now. and im running stock gearing as well again. motor barely over room temp on lipo now, so im pretty happy about that.
    Where did you get your parts. I have gone to my usual sources and cant find much if any.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

ebay man. just went to ebay. ive notice that so far there and tower hobbies are the most supplied for the latrax rally.
    Drag It!

RC poster
    There is a ball diff comeing out but no one has it yet let me know how that spool works wish flm would start makeing parts for them i have a savge with flm stuff and great stuff or rpm thats good stuff to but we will see