RC poster

The RWD E-Maxx (The Drift-Maxx) - I know I know....

Good afternoon all.

After buying first one and then soon after a second E-Maxx this summer, and spending all my dough upgrading, I finally manned up to write my first post after reading thousands.

My BL-converted 3903 basher has been upgraded with Trenchers, RPM arms, RPM bulkheads, Big Bores, T-Bone bumpers and wheeliebar - and probably a ton of other goodies. But thats not the issue - I just needed you to understand why I am even pondering the following silly project.

See - I bought a spare 3905 and stripped it down to the smallest components, as I wanted to use it as spare parts. Eventually I assembled it again and here the story starts. I wanna do something different with this one - not just have another basher.

Sooo....I'm gonna go 6S via either a Mamba Monster or the (Hobbywing) Yakuza Boss 160 Sensored M6 combo. I've already shorted the shocks, and installed the next-to hardest integy springs. I got my hands on some nice Pro-line Road Rages and the 17 mm hex conversion. I will gear it with 28/65 which should top me out at 65 mph (~100 kph).

Here is what I got at the moment:

Now, obviously I am thinking in the lines of a road-going 2nd E-maxx - and how to make this a fun build, and gain something "different". Other ideas are RWD for drifting, locking the rear diff for moar drifting, stupid(tm) slick tires, etc.

What do you guys think, and do you have any other ideas - or inspiration you are willing to share. I know that the driveshafts and the rear diff will be sore points, but im hoping that slick tyres and a feather light triggerfinger will help.

- Bane
    Last edited by BaneMaker; 11-11-2013 at 09:07 AM.

RC Champion
    I think it sounds pretty cool. A vw E-maxx RWD drift car. I thought about doing that too. Closest I got was a FWD after I blew the rear diff. lol 28-65 with a mamba on 6s is going to be out of control. imo I run 22-65 on my road maxx with a 2200 mmm on 6s and its plenty fast for me. shredded two sets of tires off it so far. lol Make shore you check your temps.

RC poster
    Thx. Yeah I expect plenty of power, but then again.....too much? Nah! Do you have any experience with locking or semilocking the rear diff without it exploding in your face?

- Bane

You should be able to put the diff spool in the rear with minimal issues, since you are only running it in 2wd and 2s....although, I think that a high Kv motor may be an issue.....if you run dual titans, or a single 2200 MMM, you should be fine.....especially on slippery surfaces, like concrete or blacktop that hasnt been swept (pebbles, and sand still on the concrete). This will cause the rear tires to slip more than normal, which is what you want anyway, drift-guy :-)

RC poster
    Not 2S - it's gonna be 6S. And I'm thinking 2150-2250 kv. I have to look into those diff spools...

Ah - seems those spools will rip the back-end a part. What I really need, might be a limited slip diff, but is that even possible?
    Last edited by BaneMaker; 11-11-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Research

RC Champion
    Yep, The diff spool for pavment is a bad idea. Probably your best bet would be to put 1/8th scale diffs in it.

RC poster
    Check. What am I looking at exactly?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BaneMaker View Post
    Check. What am I looking at exactly?
    Ah I researched a bit more - the FLM hybrid diffs looks nice (but expensive). I would just do the rear one for the RWD. Say - If I cram it full of 50k wt. diff grease/oil, will it give me the sensation of a semilocked differential?

If I were only to upgrade the insides of the diff but maintaining the stock case, what are my mest options? (hope they are cheaper than FLM hybrids...)

- Bane

RC Champion
    yep, Some heavy oil or grease in the diff will give it more posi action. As far as upgrading the stock diffs you can get alum. diff cups for them. Maybe find some robinson racing ring and pinion gears.

RC Competitor
    FYI: You can't replace just one diff with a hybrid diff because the stock and FLM diff have different gear ratios.

RC Qualifier
    With my flm UHB I use around 3-5k weight

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dildano View Post
    FYI: You can't replace just one diff with a hybrid diff because the stock and FLM diff have different gear ratios.
    You can if you are only running rear wheel drive - No front diff at all

If you are wanting the rear end to spin both tires pretty well, I would put some 500k diff oil in it. I think that will get you close to what you want. 50k probably wont be as thick as you would like. I think a 2wd would be pretty fun. A hand full for sure!
    Cummins Powered!

RC Champion
    I like the 2wd idea. After all traxxas made a nitro s-maxx that was only 2wd. I've alway's had a 2wd e-maxx with a locked rear diff. They are fun, and wild. Note- i was always titan 775/evx2 in mine. Brushless will be a real drifter .
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC poster
    Thx all. Sounds good - I'll try the 500k diff oil to lock it up some more

RC Competitor
    I had one of those 2wd nitro s maxxs. lots of fun to slide around & drifting was fun, but w/ full size m/t treads,applying throttle mid drift usually resulted in a very cool power wheelie out of the corner. only trouble I had was trying to stop the thng w/ rear brakes only. I know,sounds fun now,but wait till you hit your wife in the ankles at almost full speed. sold truck soon after.....