RC Enthusiast

Titan 21T 550 Motor

How would this motor do in the Telluride? Too much torque for stock parts? I would imagine you'd have to replace the high stall clutch with a slipper clutch? What gearing?

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/motors/titan550

I have this motor and would like to try it out.

Thanks

RC Competitor
    I'm currently running this motor in my son's Telly. I think it works well, and probably should have been the motor it came with from the factory. It slows it down quite a bit, but adds gobs more low end torque. Nice thing about this motor is it does not run hot, and appears to be much more reliable than the 12t. I currently am running it with stock gears and the high stall clutch with no issues at all. You could gear it up though to get back some of the speed.

RC Enthusiast
    Great thanks for the response
    l'll give it a shot with the stock gearing first and then try gearing it up a bit and see how it goes.

RC Enthusiast
    I tried the 21T motor last night. It was raining so I went down the ravine by our place and the truck performed great. I agree with VMX12R that this is the motor the Telly should have came with. I may try a 16T pinion to bring up the speed just a bit more. The torque is really nice. I may even try bumping up the diff fluid to get more traction.
    All in all very happy with it.

RC Enthusiast
    I had a 25T pinion gear so I tried it out and I got back quite a bit of the speed back but the motor got quite hot. I think a 16T pinion may be the best compromise for bashing.

RC Enthusiast
    Just wanted to update this thread in case. The 21T Titian blew out 2 high speed stall clutches so I went and replaced it with the 6878 Slipper Clutch and a 13tooth pinion. The truck runs and sounds awesome now. Decent speed and lots of torque. I also replaced the stock plastic motor mount with the Traxxas aluminum one because I suspect that the stock one may have been twisting due to the torque when punching it and thus causing the spur gear to twist out of shape and strip the teeth.

I will update on the durability in a week or so since that's about how long it took to break the stock setup.

RC Qualifier
    Did you change the stock esc too?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, are you still running 8.4V Nimh or 2S? If you swap out the esc you could run 3S, the 21T can handle 14.4V and that would bring all your speed back!

RC Enthusiast
    No I didn't swap out the esc and I'm running with 8.4V Nimh.

Right now I don't intend to swap the esc as I'm going to run with the 2 Nimh's I bought with the truck about a month ago.
    Too much of an investment between the 2nd 51000Mah battery and charger to just have siting around as I don't have another RC to use them in. If another RC happens to land in my lap, I might move to LiPo sooner.

I have a 16T, 18T and 25T pinion gears I want to try out to see how much more speed I can squeeze out the set up before blowing it up. LOL.

I ran with a 25T pinion on the stock 12T and clutch for pack and it was pretty fast.

RC Qualifier
    You really should consider getting a 2S LiPo, the improvement is pretty dramatic, I threw my Nimh in the garbage after getting LiPos, they are a waste of time.

If your Nimhs are that new then u should try to sell them now while they are still worth something

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    You really should consider getting a 2S LiPo, the improvement is pretty dramatic, I threw my Nimh in the garbage after getting LiPos, they are a waste of time.
    Not at all. Especially if you're like me and like to submerge your trucks in mud and water.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VMX12R View Post
    Not at all. Especially if you're like me and like to submerge your trucks in mud and water.
    LoL. I am like you VM , I run my Telly through everything, water, dirt, snow etc.. , plus I'm not one to throw perfectly good batteries in the garbage just because something better is out there. I'm happy with the NiMh's for now. I'm actually working on converting a PC power supply I have into a bench charger. That will double my my charge rate, cutting the time to charge in half.. but that's for another thread

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with Mike... Completely different truck with lipos. The Run times and torque greatly improved. Barely use nimh now. Best upgrade I've made. Also I've submerged both lipos and nimh. Both still working fine. Although Nimh have rust trapped inside the casing now.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrplay View Post
    Just wanted to update this thread in case. The 21T Titian blew out 2 high speed stall clutches so I went and replaced it with the 6878 Slipper Clutch and a 13tooth pinion. The truck runs and sounds awesome now. Decent speed and lots of torque. I also replaced the stock plastic motor mount with the Traxxas aluminum one because I suspect that the stock one may have been twisting due to the torque when punching it and thus causing the spur gear to twist out of shape and strip the teeth.

I will update on the durability in a week or so since that's about how long it took to break the stock setup.

How is it holding up??

RC Enthusiast
    I've been running the 21t monster 550 for a couple weeks now. Everything is holding up fine with no issues. Using this motor will not hurt your drivetrain

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefuljeep View Post
    How is it holding up??
    Its holding up quite well. The 21T Titan is running great with no temp issues no matter how hard I run it. I regularly swap between the 9t, 13t and 16t pinions and the truck handles them no problem. The slipper clutch is still holding up fine with no evidence of excessive slipping yet. All driveshaft's are still intact. I almost thought about switching to brushless, but don't see the need as this motor is perfect for this truck. The only thing I'm considering is to go to a 2s lipo in the near future.

RC poster
    Now the different pinions you use, are they all in the 48 pitch while using the slipper clutch from the stampede?

RC Qualifier
    No, the stampede use 32pitch or .8 mod

RC Enthusiast
    I bash a lot. I have stock tires, 2s lipo, 21t, the Stampede's Slipper clutch with the 54t 32p spur... And I'm very happy with a 19t pinion and motor is still cool. I will try my Stampede tire on this setup.. But at the moment I'm actually considering getting a bigger pinion or smaller spur just to see what the limit is on the 21t.

RC poster
    I have tried the 21 turn on 4s with a mmp esc and it is crazy fast. It is probably just as fast as a brushless system.

RC poster
    had to join this forum after reading through some threads. i've had my telli for about 4 months. everything been running fine, and i bash/thrash the crap out of it. it has taken some abuse. but as soon as i put big MT chevron tires on it. it lasted bout 2 outings. the clutch was slippin, that when i figured out it had this high stall clutch set-up. basically the nut was loose from against the spring, tighten it down, it worked for about 3 min, and the spur was stripped in spots. so replace the spur(also found out you can only go as big as the 83t, it just barely fits, which is factory set-up), and the factory 12t pinion it came with i decided to get a 15, 19 and 25 to try out. so i clean the clutch up, tighten the nut back down , again, and try the 15t. it again lasts about 2-3 min., then starts slipping. and i'm using a 8 cell 9.6 , i thought everything sounded so good , and it seemed to have a little more punch with the nut tighten all the way down and the 15t 83t set-up.
    so back apart , AGAIN. i put the factory tires back on, clean the clutch up, tighten the nut down against the spring, then back it off one turn, leave the 15 83 set-up. take it out, sounds good. go flying down drive way, across yard, jump the ditch, head down the street, come back down the street, jump a ditch, do a power slide in some loose gravel, do a 360, and then BAM, slippin again.

so after reading this thread sounds like i need to get me that titan 21t550 and this 6878 slipper clutch set-up for the pede, just going to have to get new pinions

RC Champion
    if you loosen it one full turn, that sounds way to loose. did u try to tightening it up and run it again?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by skmfkr View Post
    if you loosen it one full turn, that sounds way to loose. did u try to tightening it up and run it again?
    i've had it apart like 4-5 times now, and i can't figure out why the nut keeps loosening after i tighten it back down against the spring. soon as i go out, lasts bout 2-3 min, then slippin again. thought the big MT chevron tires were the problem, but put the factory ones on, and it still happens.
    i've tried having the nut totally clamped down against the spring, tried having it backed off just a half turn.
    now that i got it apart again, my driveshaft has a slight wobble in it.

just gonna ride to my local (well 30-35 min drive) hobby shop and get a whole new high stall clutch and a new drive shaft.

and gonna try out a 76t spur on it with the 15, 19 and 25 pinions i got. gonna keep running that 8 cell nimh, and the factory 7 cell, since i bash, and like hitting mud puddles sometimes. i got a 2s lipo 5000mah with a deans plug i use in another vehicle, just need an adp for the plug and ill try it out sometime in the telli, just will make sure im on pavement, dry dirt or gravel.

RC poster
    the stock clutch has a design flaw, if you do a lot of hard starts and stops the nut on the shaft will back off causing the clutch to slip. i've had my Telluride for 6 months now and have figured out the temp fix. (no thanks to Traxxas they were useless). you need to tighten the spring all the way down and a quarter turn more, yes you read that right! it's in the manual. than put another nut on it as a locknut. this will work great for a while until you find out the spring tries to dig in the plastic itself. make sure your gear mesh is tight! Or you will melt the spur gear teeth off. this will work for a while but keep a new clutch assembly on hand as a backup. i'm on clutch three.