RC Enthusiast

Cool Sk 180 & CC2200 kv combo

i just wanted to see if or who is all running this system in their Spartan's and what is your tuning specs(esc)

RC Qualifier
    I run that setup in one of our Spartans.

Been awhile since I tweaked with the ESC, but if memory serves.
    - Forward only (I don't run reverse on boats)
    - 0 degrees timing advance, since this motor is a wye wind, you should be able to run up to 15 degrees without issues, possibly higher, but not sure there would be any advantage. Note: Castle recommends to run their motors at 0 degrees, even if the design is capable of higher timing advance. (delta wind should always be run at 0, or very close to 0 degrees advance)
    - Auto detect on cell count. I normally set this to the specific number of cells if running the same batteries all the time, but I run 4S and 5S on this setup.
    - LV Cutoff, you will have to experiment, I find the SK180 tends to cutout a bit early, I recommend start at 3.4v and work your way down after confirming residual voltage in your batteries after a run. Remember at rest voltage will be higher than load voltage. If your at rest cell voltage is showing 3.2 or 3.3V, the under load voltage is likely around 2.9 or 3.0V. If you drop the cell voltage below 2.8V on a lipo, you run the risk of damaging the cell.

I run an X442 prop, .078 wire drive, and only run up to 5S. I know there are those who have run 6S on this setup, but personally I think the risk of burning up the SK180 is quite high on 6S.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 11-07-2013 at 06:55 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    im running 4,5,6s all day on this system but i went with a bigger od tubing and cant even tell if i ever ran it. but it seems like the sk180 does not push the cc2200 kv motor like the stock esc does

RC Qualifier
    How many 6s runs on what prop? Are you using any sort of data logger?

RC Enthusiast
    i use my boat almost everyday and i dont have a logger on it

RC Qualifier
    I run the same set-up on 5s. Ran all summer with a kintect cnc 442 prop and never went over 100 degrees on motor or esc. I had my lvc set at 3.4, but also ran low voltage beepers on both batteries. Never have had any issues.
    MERV SV3/5700
    Slash MMP/2400
    Slayer Pro
    Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by iknow2 View Post
    but it seems like the sk180 does not push the cc2200 kv motor like the stock esc does
    what do you mean by this

RC Qualifier
    I want to know the answer to this too! I have a bad feeling my motor is getting ready to eat the marine dust.... I have been running about 2-4 (4 times today)times a day on 6s with stock ESC and motor. I have OSE dual pickup, Kintec jacket, dual outlets, backwash plate, and a thrust bearing setup. I am running the sysetm WOT, my batteries are not going to last because they are at 115F at the end of each run while my motor won't go past 90F and the ESC stays around 90F. I am planning on stock ESC and Castle 2200kv on a Octura 442.
    PM for info.....