RC Racer

Rustler axle shafts upgrade to Slash help?

Ok....after intensive reading threw muitiable forums....etc., and buying some shafts that I think are the wrong ones....im here asking.

My vxl with 3s lipo keeps twisting off the shafts.....where it meets the part that goes into the transmission case. Some have mod Jato shaft... ut from what I gathered. ....the easiest way to prevent this and have stronger axle shaft is to uograde ti the Slash 4x4 ones. I thought id read somewhere they have more "groves" so instead of 4 "groves" they have like double or triple that .....so the torque is more evenly distributed around the shaft. (Instead of at four points)

Well I orderd some from auction site and got the 6852x shafts. Well they have the four groves.
    Before I go ahead and try to install and have the same problem....ten minutes of running and broke down ...I wanted ti see if anyone onows if this is what I want.

Also...I have my slipper clutch adjusted on the loose side. Almost to point it will not wheelie and STILL twist shafts off!
    I think alot of the reasom is the rpms are so fast...it causes the yoke to spread open some and then easy to twist off?
    I thought about MIP metal shafts...but have read alot of negative feedback with thise and Rustlers.

RC Champion
    I have run the 4x4 (HD) shafts on my P2de, Slash 2wd, and Rusty vxl's and never had any problem with them twisting on 3S. I currently have a P4de and run it on 3S with the slipper backed off 1/4 from fully tightened and have not twisted or broken them. The HD shafts are bigger in diameter than the stock 2wd shafts. They still have 4 grooves as you found out. IMO, they are far superior to the stock shafts. There are threads to use the Jato shafts which you have found but it if it were me, I would use the HD shafts and figure out why the shafts are twisting. I am assuming you are running the Velineon system? When do you notice the breaks? Landing a jump on the throttle could be a prime suspect. What is your current slipper setup?
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Racer
    The first time it twisted off was in air with throttle on.
    So I put it back on..the next time was on road wheelie....third time was in dirt..throttle on.
    The slash shafts I just got ate the exactly the same as stock rustys...
    So I assuming I need ti look for the "HD" slash shafts? Because like I just said...the ones I just got are same in diameter.

Yes velineon brushless system.
    Current slipper is 1/4 ....when I last twisted the shaft it was between 1/4 and 1/2....but shaft was already worn...so lets not consider that.

I went ahead and put the new one on....I will see in morning how it holds up.
    I did get rusty used. Even know it was pretty much new.....it may had already had a pretty worn shaft.
    So...
    I we repost after a good run tomorrow.
    Thanks

RC Racer
    Oh...sorry to double post

But...do you have a part number for those hd 4x4 shafts?

RC Champion
    TRA6852X is the correct part number.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsally97 View Post
    TRA6852X is the correct part number.
    Thanks....
    Like I stated...I will run it tomorrow. Then will update on how the replacement shaft does....but now I feel much better knowing exactly what part if needed.

....and maybe the original owner had slipper cranked down and damaged the shaft prior.

Thanks again...

RC Racer
    I just realized that the part number you gave me is the same as I just bought.
    Does the TRA at the beginning mean something else?
    Because the part number 6852x is what I got and the shafts are exact ly the same size as what was on my vxl.

RC Racer
    Ok....I'm an idiot...lol
    Just looked at the shafts again......and they are different.
    They new slash shaft appears to be the same diameter BUT the metal pins are bigger.
    Just got done with a 15-20 bashing and didnt have any problems with the new shaft.
    Although its wet and had no traction. (New badlands should be here anyday)

Only problem I had was a rear shock cap blew again..... (new aluminum caps should be here any day too)

I guess in my head I thought they were the wrong upgrades because of the four grooves...so my eyes saw no different in the shafts.
    Sorry.

But thank you for your time and help dcsally!

Appreciate it.

RC Champion
    Not a problem. They are great shafts. I will soon be upgrading mine on my P4de to Tekno M6 front and rear shafts. If you are replacing the shock caps o ahead and buy the TiNi shock shafts to make an almost indestructible shock. You could just go with the Traxxas Big Bores also.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsally97 View Post
    Not a problem. They are great shafts. I will soon be upgrading mine on my P4de to Tekno M6 front and rear shafts. If you are replacing the shock caps o ahead and buy the TiNi shock shafts to make an almost indestructible shock. You could just go with the Traxxas Big Bores also.
    First....update on shafts....been bashing and not seen any sighns of wear on them yet. "Knock on wood"
    The slash axle shafts are great.

And for shock shafts...got the tini coming already. ....and already mounted aluminum caps.

TRA is just short for Traxxas. And I have these same shafts on my 2wd trucks and they've held up very well.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    TRA is just short for Traxxas. And I have these same shafts on my 2wd trucks and they've held up very well.
    TRA.......
    Got it...thanks

RC Racer
    Ok...now after maybe 10 runs on new Slash axle shafts...one just broke! Ah!
    I noticed the wholes where the metal "ball pins" where getting wore. (Wobbled out)
    This morning it broke down by the wheel. It tore out destroying the shaft.

Now...I have been running Venom 7500 30s (3 cell) BUT...have ONLY been running on my backyard track IN TRAINING MODE. So I get just a little less power then a nih 7 cell battery.

I could understand if I was running the truck full power on 3 cell lipo...but at 50% power?

I have Proline Badlands. Yes they grip like crazy. ...but I'm on loose sand. (Florida)
    (Miss real dirt....lol)

So I'm back to the drawing board again

Metal shafts????

I don't bash anymore. ...it just cost me money....so I'm a 40yr old dad.... just wanted a dependable rc to run on a 30 second lap time back yard track.

Suggestions???

RC Qualifier
    Tekno m6 axles are what I like to run. Very strong, oversized bearings, bulletproof carriers, don't know how you can go wrong with the teknos.

Not to mention bind free operation and great looks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    Maybe I have to givr then a try.
    It's not like I was abusing the Slash shafts I just broke....kinda ridiculous to break.
    Oh...not to mention breaking a shaft on my brush.....yes brushed rustler.

Thanks for suggesting them.

RC poster
    Hi Kyles,

I have just posted about exactly the same problem, keep throwing driveshafts. Are you going to buy the Tekno's? if so can you post how they are please?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosajxl@gmail.com View Post
    Hi Kyles,

I have just posted about exactly the same problem, keep throwing driveshafts. Are you going to buy the Tekno's? if so can you post how they are please?
    If I do...it's probably going to be good week before I do....I haven't looked into tbe price just yet....but I'm sure they are a few dollars
    Regardless. ....I will update this thread in which direction I go. (This way thread can be complete...I hate reading threads with no answers )
    (I think I blew my brushless motor up today also...so have that problem too...lol)(I think magnets broke inside)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosajxl@gmail.com View Post
    Hi Kyles,

Sorry to double post....but different answer here..

After 5 minutes of reasearching these....YES ...I will be buying the Tekno axles and carriers. I liked everything I read...plus the kit comes with larger bearings....I think that will help too!

Thanks again Building Boost for mentioning these.

I don't see how you're breaking shafts with a brushed motor. Most guys don't break shafts after 10 runs with a full power brushless motor.

Unless sand is the key here. I do.t run offroad and we don't have sand here in Misery.

Maybe the Upgrade Gods have deemed you needed Tekno shafts for Christmas...
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I don't see how you're breaking shafts with a brushed motor. Most guys don't break shafts after 10 runs with a full power brushless motor.

Unless sand is the key here. I do.t run offroad and we don't have sand here in Misery.

Maybe the Upgrade Gods have deemed you needed Tekno shafts for Christmas...
    Ya...I dont understand it myself. My xl-5 brushed I just bought and has had around 15-20 runs and broke a shaft. I noticed the otber day they were vetting sloppy and new it was coming. But ya...I've read alot and see where guys dont have the problems I have.
    Maybe sand? I dont know. .. but Santa will be coming to me early...lol

I lived in Michigan for 20yrs....boy....I miss real dirt ...lol
    The sand here is crazy. ...I know when I change out the carpet in living room...I will have a bucket of sand under it....
    Last edited by kyles974; 11-24-2013 at 08:46 PM.