Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Qualifier
    Didn't sting so well. Was doing great on an empty track and running consistent 18 second laps. Once the green flag came I was lucky to break 20-23. Not sure what happened between practice and go time. I guess I will blame it on operator error because nothing was wrong with the truck itself that I could find. Didn't even make it to a feature race and was knocked out in the heats. Bummer...the truck can do so much better. Did way better with the p2de but then I am use to it's quirks and race handling way more than the slash.

Ah well....Sunday is another go 'round. Lots of rubber neckers eyeing it up. Tends to happen when a new truck is in the pits. I think I got distracted by the oohs and ahhs.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    What type of esc/motor are you running? And is it waterproof?

RC Qualifier
    Right now the stock VXL 3s esc and Velineon 3500....for another 2 days. I have a Hobbywing SC8 WP with 3656 EZ-Run 3800k 4-pole motor on the way. I have a similar set up in my p2de (only with the 4700k) and it screams. Both the VXL system and the soon to be installed Hobbywing are waterproof but I don't normally run either truck in a wet environment.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Don't be to hard on yourself about not running as good during race time, that's normal esp if its one of your first races with a new truck. I get the same way, ill run 5 laps under last weeks TQ in one pack when I'm out there testing the once I have other truck zippin around and bangin doors I can't run at the same level. Same with shootin pool, ill go to the bar on Monday and run the table, then come teusday when I have a match, same table, same stick, and I can't make shots I feel like I could have made when I was ten.

Idk what it is, even though I don't feel any pressure there is just something about competition that makes it tougher, more fun too, but also tougher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    just keep working. Driving consistently in traffic is hard because you have to watch 2 seconds ahead of you while still hitting your brake points and lines. You dont do that while you are by yourself.

Did the surface of the track change?

But dont worry, the more experience you get in crowded lanes, the better. Also, take into account the experience level of the guys you are running with. Obviously, they will make less mistakes than you, until you catch up.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Just like rag6 says, I can fly around the track by my self but put others out there and I'm lucky to finish a race.
    I just get raddled in traffic or if I wreck I cant seem to regain my composer.
    Rag6 is one of if not the most knowledgeable people on this forum, If he posts it you can take it to heart, he is spot on, stay consistent, dont think about winning just getting around the track.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Yeah, I'm no racer for many reasons, but a major one is that I can't seem to remember that I'm racing against the track and not the other vehicles. Yes, you have to account for traffic, but what I have trouble with is letting other racers take me out of my game. I start trying to do what they do instead of racing like I have to with meager set of skills. However, even those with far superior skills can fall into the same trap.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    ^^ I value your advice like no other. I sincerely appreciate everything I have learned from you.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    This is what happens when you slam into the side of a helion dominus with a slash running wot at about 55mph. Sorry its not a traxxas vehicle shown...but it got smacked by one....HARD.

The slash is fine. Rolled right over it and kept on going.

This space reserved

Rag6 is one of if not the most knowledgeable people on this forum
    Def not the most knowledgeable, but if I post it, you can take it to the bank that I totally believe what I am posting... even when I am wrong... which happens too much lol.

Some people are natural drivers.
    Some are natural chassis tuners.
    Some are both.
    I am neither, but with a lot of practice, a lot of watching and soaking up stuff from the top racers at your track, there is no reason that you can't be competitive.

I think you can show how undurable another manufacturers bodies are hahaha.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Some people are natural drivers.
    Some are natural chassis tuners.
    Some are both.
    I am neither, but with a lot of practice, a lot of watching and soaking up stuff from the top racers at your track, there is no reason that you can't be competitive.
    I suppose you are right. It took a few weeks and many trips to the baseball diamonds to get a handle on racing the p2de. I can run that thing like nobody's business even with up to 14 trucks on the track. And that is in a mixed manufacture run what you brung bunch of trucks. But, like I said....I know the quirks of that truck far better than my slash.....for now. I never expected to go in with a new truck and just squeeze the trigger and send everyone one home wondering what the heck just happened. I was very happy with the 18 second practice laps so I know the truck, and I, have the potential.

I too am guilty of failing to remember I am racing the track and not other trucks..so to speak. That, I suppose comes from many years of gaming console racing games. I don't make many mistakes and have really good control. What I really need to explore more is chassis tuning. I have learned that there are so many different variables that dictate how a truck should be set up...in addition to countless ways a truck can be tuned...sometimes makes my head spin.

The new power plant will make a big difference so I am not going to focus too much getting the most out of the velineon. The new BL will smoke the stock BL system I have now and make it a whole new animal.

BTW.....after today's bash session with my brother, The Black Widow isn't nice and shiny anymore. We were running on wet packed and loose sand, a huge gravel pile, pavement, leaves, gravel...you name it..it got beat on. Didn't want to run the slash for a bash run but I needed the handling experience. Had the p2de along but never even took it out of the trunk.
    This space reserved

Did anybody else chuckle upon seeing post #89?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Did anybody else chuckle upon seeing post #89?
    Should have been there. We both laughed our behinds off when it happened, Although later in the evening I felt guilty and took a trip to the lhs and I got him the JConcepts Silverado. Was the least I could do after I ripped the side of his truck apart. The other front left side had a split all the way from the front to the windshield and all the way across the top of the windshield. It got smacked hard. I don't think I have hit his anything that hard in my life with an RC truck.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    I felt guilty and took a trip to the lhs and I got him the JConcepts Silverado. Was the least I could do
    what a nice thing to do man, mad props. That more than makes up for crashin into someones truck. At the end of the day you did him a favor. Who wouldn't want to run a nice jconcepts body over that ugly stock one? That pic is priceless tho, never seen anything like it.

Settings stuff I have learned
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Chassis tuning

Find an all around starting point. Mine is:

Use fast guy's tires
    Slipper on the loose side(slipper setting is directly tied into front to back weight transfer, so I consider it a suspension setting, a too tight slipper will make a great setup feel horrible)
    battery shifted all the way forward
    +1 ft toe
    -1 rear camber
    -1 ft camber
    ft shocks with 35wt oil, green losi ft 2" springs.
    rr shocks with 40wt oil, blue losi rr 2.5" springs
    arms level ride height

When I go to a new track, I always set it up this way the first time.

I make 1 change at a time. Take a couple of laps, and then can switch it back or adjust. I make sure I am happy with a setting before I move on to the next.

I set the ride height and slipper 1st(easiest things to adjust)
    Then, shock mount location, springs, oil, toe, and finally camber.
    I then repeat the process in that order, skipping over the settings I think I have right, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat. The tuning process never ends, unless you are winning every time your truck runs a race.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Helpful driving stuff I have learned:

Overdriving. I think the most important thing I have learned, is to drive a race within the limits of my current setup, good or bad. If you know that trying to keep up with the fast trucks in turn 3 will result in a roll, you have to slow down, let them pull away, and get through that turn safe and fast as possible... every lap.

Traffic sucks. You have to tap into your peripheral vision. You have to train yourself to see ahead. It takes a ton of concentration at first, but with dedicated practice at it, it becomes easier.

Race lines are not set in stone. Practice different lines. Imagine the leader is behind you, and is about take you off the lead lap. You may want to run a different line to make it more difficult for him to get around(if your down a couple laps just let him by). It is also kinda fun to run very bad lines on purpose, trying to still get around as fast as possible. It will help you recover faster from accidents and lapped traffic. If you are comfortable driving anywhere on the track, you will drive cleaner.

Those are the three things that have improved my driving the most.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Power delivery:

A vxl motor is usually too punchy for racing (works great on carpet though)
    It has too much low end on slippery surfaces. A sensored combo will make it a little easier to get around the track, and out of the hole.

With the non sensored motors, I try to set the slipper loose to start, then tighten it in small amounts until the truck gets "quirky", then back off just a bit.

Thats all I can think of.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Building Boost View Post
    what a nice thing to do man, mad props. That more than makes up for crashin into someones truck. At the end of the day you did him a favor. Who wouldn't want to run a nice jconcepts body over that ugly stock one? That pic is priceless tho, never seen anything like it.

Was the least I could do...it was his birthday after all.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Settings stuff I have learned
    Thats all I can think of.
    Sweet man. Thanks a ton for the information. Printed out and studied. Hopefully Sunday afternoon will go better. I know the truck has the potential and that advice will help big time.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Well this stinks. Just stopped by the lhs to pick up some castle connectors that a few of you are bragging up hoping I could pick up a little more power for next Sunday's race. They were closed with a sign on the door that said "Thank you for 30 years". So I called the store's phone number to see what was up. The phone was answered by a machine with a pre-recorded message informing customers the owner of the store passed away last Friday and the decision was made by the family to close the doors. It goes on to say that there would be an auction of inventory after other financials were taken care of and racing events are no longer available. Big time bummer.

I have tried in vain to find other racing clubs and events in my area but came up empty handed. On the way home I decided to turn The Black Widow into an MT since racing it as an sct kinda just went out the window. I wish I could get a hold of the family to discuss maybe taking over the shop in some sort of limited capacity..or at the very least the racing club. That would be a blast. Maybe when the time is right I will put some sort of plan together and make an offer. Until then I guess it's back to bashing.

I went to the Packers vs. Vikings game Sunday so I didn't race Sunday night. Doesn't sound like I would have been able to anyway.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-27-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment.
    This space reserved

Sorry to hear that man.

RC Qualifier

Gonna break something now for sure!!!

Got the Black Widow out for some bashing. Had it shelved for awhile working on other projects. Got into 1/8 scale nitro so I am spending a lot of time on them. Decided to get back to my E-Roots for a little bit and took this off the shelf. Went to charge my bigger 2S pack and noticed it had puffed up while in storage. Took a trip to the LHS and see that Venom has a new line of huge packs out. Dropped a buck and change on a new 7200mAH 100C 3S. Over the winter I changed the power plant to an HW 120a WP esc and 3800kv EZ-Run motor. The Velenion and VXL3S got retired into spare parts. This thing should cook now.....but with that comes quicker and harder breakage.
    This space reserved