Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Lightbulb King Summit with mamaba 1717 1580kv monster motor re-build

Hello traxxas comunity,here is my small overhaul project that I would like to share with my fellow summit owners.Let me start by saying to people who think brushless motors are pointless for summits are absolutely wrong.There is no such thing as too much power.I can honestly say this is the most powerful truck that i have ever owned and it never ceases to amaze me.My specifications are 2x3 cell batteries that put out 22.2volts,castle creations 21 tooth MOD-1 Steele pinion,special 6 shoe clutch slipper system,MOD-1 spur gear from nitro revo,MIP steel driveshafts,Traxxas center line steel driveshafts just to hold the insane torque from 1580 KV motor.here is my summit next to my emaxx

RC Racer

RC Racer
    Cooked my slipper clutch,never thought this would fail.

Warped steel pad from heat

After going through the parts.i found they all had warped from high temperature and won't run flat.

2nd speed damaged gear and lock.

RC Racer
    wow thats a power house looks like it is a lot of fun

RC Racer
    Castle needs to bring this motor back

RC Racer
    Upgrades

RC poster
    Dude it's coming along nicely! When you get the parts machined at work and this thing together we need to race so we can both witness my e revo smoke you!

RC Racer
    More upgrades

Too bad motor plate won't work with the truck

This looks promising

Arm knuckless are on

With CEN wheels

RC Champion
    Sweet truck. I wish castle would bring back the 1518 too.

RC Racer
    Motor mounted to tranny.using a bigger size 5mm bolt to hold motor in place,rather than 3mm stock.

New 25c lipos

All built after test drive

Chrome looks ugly.will be painting the wheels black

RC Racer
    Water proof mesh,should be perfect for massive snow bashing.

RC Racer
    The 1717 is one of my favorite motors. Its a shame they killed off this version of it. We still have the slightly different one out of the xo1 along with a few China copies. My question to you is how did the motor work with clearance ussues because from the looks of it the motor looks like it will hit the chassis. Did you have to modify the motor mount to make work. Last question is do you have any video footage of the summit running witb the 1717. I have 4 of these motors new in box still, and would like to put one in my summit

RC Racer
    Just got some snow here is what "went down"

RC Qualifier
    nice..did the 1717 bolt directly into the motor mount without mods?? do you have any flex on the mount due to the weight of the motor?
    Emaxx, Savage XL, Summit.

RC Racer
    After few minutes of play I managed to brake both servos and the rear shock tower.i expected this to happen when the temps drop below freezing.but never thought it would be gears.

Here is one of the old servos with broken gears.there is no way I would use that again.

After digging around my spare Rc stuff this is what I found for replacements.can't go wrong with metal gears.

My rear shock tower had to be cut down a little for the big motor to clear it.

After I got everything fixed I went out for another run and this is what I broke after 10minutes of play.

After replacing the transmission for the 2nd time I packed it with lithium grease in hopes it will keep the gears form stripping.I can report that finally,today I got to flatline my 5800s packs without anything going wrong with the truck! Everything held together like a dream.20minutes of run time in 6 inch powder where no other truck could even go.action pictures and videos will be posted very soon
    Last edited by Cky; 01-04-2014 at 12:20 AM.

RC Racer

Just got my wheels painted i think it looks much better,unfortunatley after few minutes of bashing the transmission broke and it's the same part.i wonder if there is anything stronger out here,any advice ?

RC Racer
    Nice truck man, wheels look much better without the chrome.
    1/10 Summit & 1/10 E-Slayer

RC Racer
    Looks great ! I have 4 new in box 1717 from when cc had the blow out sale I bought 6 in total. Anyways do you have any vid of it running I am curious to see. I have been wanting to throw one in my summit but am really not looking forward to all the twisted pars lol. Thanks in advance Chris g

RC Racer
    I really wanted to film the truck in action but the transmission broke before I could get the camera out.i just ordered few parts and will be going diferent route with my transmission gearing,And I am hoping its to work this time with no more transmission problems.

RC Racer
    If you don't mind me asking What did you decide to do with the tranny

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Not sure if I missed something here or not but judging by the pics your not running the stock speed control. Why not dial down the punch control or whatever it's called so you are not breaking parts? So fast.
    Your initial post is funny when you start at the end of the tread and read backwards "no such thing as to much power"

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    It's not due to too much power.never had any issues with gears in summer time.cold temps just make them brittle and it's always the first speed gears that fail.as for the transmission gearing,I am going to convert it to a single speed with parts form brushless emaxx.It will eliminate first gear and stay in second gear that has 2 steel gears rather than the 2 plastic or nylon gears contacting each other,it will be a way stronger setup.motor gearing will be convert from M1 pitch thats in the truck right now,down to 0.8 pitch with Robinson racing gen3 Steele spurgear and RR pinnion.my current gear ratio is 1.73 if my math is correct and that's wayyy too tall for the single speed.

RC Racer
    Here is the brake down of my components and how everything is bolted together.

The motor plate slot had to be opened up to 5mm for the screw.in my case I am a little under or my calipers are busted.

Here is the 5mm screw that has been threaded into the motor mount.

The 5mm scew is a nice way to clamp down on the system.with the cone washer I get a nice foot print and I can really lock the motor in place.

The Mod1 gearing soon to be replaced with 0.8

The 23 tooth pinnion is soo big I had to dremel out some of the motor mount to clear the gear.

Very simple to make and I would like to see some one build one too
    Last edited by Cky; 01-06-2014 at 06:38 PM.

RC Racer
    I might do some messing around tonight and throw me of my 1717 in

RC Racer
    Called for 6to10 inches of snow today.never went in for work and here is what I have been working on since this morning.

Got the 0.8 gearing in and I am running 65-14 gears.still waiting for Robinson spur.

Voltage regulator and speed controller wired up together for controlled lights.

Replaced stock leds with 10mm monsters,should be able to see at night now.

Mounted my gopro to the body.hope I don't flip

RC Racer
    When I removed my 2nd gear I had a free channel so here is what I am using it for now

http://youtu.be/L5UWcjqkLFo

RC Racer
    Oh boy here we go again.hour of play and I noticed smoke ) :

I am so glad robinson racing makes aftermarket gears

RC Racer
    just heads up for all who are going with RPM arms.i just put my on and here are few problems I ran into.

So rpm states that the rear arms will work with the summit,aparantley that's not true.here is what I had to cut away to clear the locking differential side and have full articulation of the arm.

Up next is the insane amount of positive toe out when the suspension is compressed.

I know there are a lot of smart and crafty individuals on these forums and I am looking for some advice on this problem.

RC Champion
    That doesn't make any sense to me.

Nice BUILD btw just read through all of it, lots of crafty ideas and tricks to make'm work!

As for that suspension though, my toe-out doesn't change even 1% under full compression!? It seems like your tie rods are adjusted wrong but then why isn't the toe out the same without compression!?

RC Racer
    See that's what I am saying too.i honestly think rpm arms are shorter and I made sure my toe is even when the trucks suspension in not compressed.its so strange

RC Champion
    Maybe you put the knuckles on the wrong side?
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    Maybe you put the knuckles on the wrong side?
    BINGO! Thanks brother.wow I can't believe I did not see that

RC Racer
    Upgrades are in and I noticed that the temps spike when the weather is over 70deg.i had to go with a 1/5 scale cooling fan system,it's a little big but that's the only size that fits.

RC poster
    Hi,
    I notice that on the opening post the Summit was wearing Ofna monster Pirate wheels.
    How did they perform compared to the original Summit wheels?

RC Racer
    CKY can you please put up a link to that shroud?

RC Champion
    Crazy build dude

RC Racer
    The stock summit wheels are great but they are only good for rock crawling and mild bashing.After my brushless system was installed the soft rubber could not take the power and speeds the truck was putting out.A month later I went with Ofna wheels that are better for speed and gave me wider stance,almost impossible to flip the truck,the only down fall is the offset is so negative it just destroys all the bearings inside the knuckles.
    Last edited by Cky; 03-27-2014 at 03:43 PM.

RC Racer
    Here is a offset comparison,Ofna vs Cen wheel.The Cen wheel is bigger and it has a more positive offset,best choice for my application.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit to the limit View Post
    CKY can you please put up a link to that shroud?
    Search for dusty motors on eBay.thats where I got my

RC Champion
    I run Trencher X for bashing on my Summit and love them. They are also pretty amazing for Trailing in the woods, mud and snow.

Great all around tire.