RC Qualifier

miss matched batteries???

I know I would need to charge them seperately... but how bout running them? In paralell, a 2s and a 3s all types of dif MAH ect. LOL will the ESC just regard them as a 2.5s? good idea? bad idea?

wanna run my merv w a 2s and a 3s for stupipd fast

Running a 2 cell and a 3 cell together is not a problem but running packs of different capacities (mah) is not a good idea.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    NEVER EVER run two different cell counts in parallel. The higher cell count pack would overcharge the lower cell count pack.

Now, two different cell counts can be ran in series; but all other aspects of the pack need to be the same.... capacity, brand, age, C rating, ect.

For charging, same cell count packs of different capacities can be charged together as long as they have a similar voltage across all packs. When I was running my Summit's 2 7600mAh 2S packs down along with my 16th Revo's 4 2200mAh 2S packs I would parallel charge them all at once.
    If charging different cell count packs together, series charging is the way to do that.

More info:
    https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...allel-charging
    https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...erial-charging
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

MY BAD!!!! I read parallel but was thinking series.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I figured... I re-read the original post and yours a few times just to make sure I wasn't missing something.

We all make mistakes!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    I know I would need to charge them seperately... but how bout running them? In paralell, a 2s and a 3s all types of dif MAH ect. LOL will the ESC just regard them as a 2.5s? good idea? bad idea?

wanna run my merv w a 2s and a 3s for stupipd fast
    My first thought is why????? If you want fast, just run a 3S pack.

OK, something to think about; Ohm's Law says items connected in parallel have similar voltage across them but differing amps, while items connected in series have similar amps across them but differing voltage. So looking at the two packs you noted as items connected in parallel, they are by definition going to have the same voltage across them or at the very least - they are going to do all that is physically possible to have the same voltage across them. This means the 3S pack will dump everything it has across the connecting wire system as it tries to equalize voltage with the 2S pack.

Do you see the problem with this now???? A 2S pack that potentially over-volts and a 3S packs that potentially under-volts, all happening at a very rapid pace. Best advice, don't try it!!!!
    Last edited by Jakey; 11-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yes I see the error in my logic now. Only reason I was thinking of doing it was because I had the 2 packs allready. I think I will stick w 1 3s for when I want a spectacular crash. LOL