Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Brad's Brushless REVOmmit to Off-roader Build/Upgrade Thread

I am a new Summit owner (it arrives Monday) and I thought I would introduce myself and start a build thread since I have some mods planned for this thing. I am new to Traxxas but not new to R/C. I got a Kyosho Turbo Ultima as a kid in the late 80s and loved that thing (it was my 1st R/C whose manufacturer didn't have "shack" in the name). Then, in the mid 2000s I bought an HPI Savage Nitro which was a lot of fun, but a fair hit of maintenance. I sold before my son was born in 2006 and haven't really had any time (or money) for the hobby until now. My son, who is now 7, dragged my old Turbo Ultima out of the basement and said "Dad, can we get this working?" The rest is history. We did get it working with some vintage parts off eBay (and the original 25-year-old ESC and motor!) and we were both bitten badly with the bug. So here I am, Summit on its way and trying to keep from spending too much money on it before it even arrives (There are so many cool parts available). Here's the way it looks now (pics are from eBay):

As you can see, it was built to basically be an on-road Revo for some reason. I like the idea of having street tires, but I'm going to get some better bashing tires since I will (obviously) be taking it off-road as well. It has the 2200kv Mamba Monster in it and is geared 24/52, which by my calculations is theoretically capable of 70mph (on 6s) as it sits on the Phaltline tires. A little nutty for a summit, so I will be re-gearing it closer to stock as well as well as raising the suspension and body mounts to be more truck-like. I'll keep this thread updated as I get the truck running and later mod it into a better off-roader, climber, and basher. Love this forum and glad to be a part of the Summit club!

Oh, and if anyone is curious, here's my vintage Turbo Ultima with original 1988 body and everything:

Last edited by Bsheasby; 11-02-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    Father: 1/10 Summit Mamba | Son: 1/16 Summit VXL

RC Racer
    Those RCs back in the day were a blast. Your going to have to beef up some parts with that kind of power.

RC Racer
    I know. I'm braced for the inevitability of breakage. I'm going to try to mitigate that as much as I can with a not-too-aggressive setup. I'll also upgrade a few things up front, but I will mainly take the "upgrade as it breaks" approach.

RC Racer
    The truck arrived and this thing is amazing! It is stupid fast the way it's geared...and I'm only running it on 2 2s 7600maH packs (4s total). Tried it out as it came with the HPI Phaltline tires on Blast wheels and it was really fun. I think if I want to run it like that on the street, I would just get a street car. I'll probably keep them just for the odd pavement romp, but I want this thing to be (and look like) a monster truck. Here's how it looked when it arrived:

To start, I did a few things right off the bat.

Body:

I raised the body posts up an inch or so so it would be more truck-like. I trimmed the rear posts a bit so they could sit properly. I went ahead and ordered another set of Summit posts in case I get an actual Summit body later. I also painted the windows with some old Tamiya Gunmetal color lexan paint I had laying around since I'm not a fan of the clear look. I also removed the wind and ordered an RPM bumper mount for the rear.

Wheels and Tires:

For some good all-around bashing wheels/tires, I got a set from the brushless Emaxx. I love the look of them and don't mind the zero offset. They are 6.3" tires - great for bashing and they handle Decently at speed. With the current gearing, they ballon quite as you approach top speed, which by my calcs is around 70 mph. I don't think they would hold up if I got them that fast! As a good all-around tire, I think they work nicely on the Summit platform.

Suspension:

I added the Traxxas red aluminum pushrods front and rear. In doing so, I discovered that in order to have the truck ride so low, the shocks are shortened somehow, and the long travel pushrods I used actually make it sit lower. Does anyone know any more about these shocks? Not sure where they come from or how they were done, but they are way too short for any off-roading, so I have a new set of GTR Summit shocks on the way, so it can actually ride like a truck with more than 1.5 inches of ground clearance! Any way, I have a few other goodies coming and things I'm going to do, but for now, here's how she looks:

Next up: Gearing, Motor Mounting, and Crawling

RC Racer
    Nice looking truck after you put the bigger tires on.

RC Racer
    Now that look's better! Don't quite get spending the money to turn it into basicly a e-revo. But to each his own. Looks sweet now though.
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Qualifier
    Is that what happens when you vomit twice (REVOmmit)? I've seen Sumvo too. Gotta be a better way to name this hybrid,...lol. I've got a vintage blackfoot sitting in dusty pieces I'm eager to get together. Thanks for sharing!

RC Racer
    Exactly! (RE-VOmmit)

I really want to tear down the Ultima and rebuild it (the Diff needs it badly) but my instructions and schematic went bye-bye long ago. I might try it anyway and take lots of pictures for rebuilding. It's actually built really robustly - lots of strong nylon, aluminum, steel, and carbon fiber. Somewhere in the back of my mind I'm wondering how a brushless system would work (the power of my new toy is addictive). The only problem is how difficult it is to find replacement parts for the the ones that would inevitably break. I'm definitely at least going to pick up a cheap 2.4ghz radio for it - the old AM Futaba I have is pretty sketchy.

RC Qualifier
    Nooooo,...don't upgrade the Ultima. Will lose it's value and luster. Those old cars were meant to handle the speeds for the times, not 65mph BL set ups. Keep her nice n warm on a shelf. Maybe break out here and there for a jog. You bust that shell, it will cost you $60 to replace, IF you can find one (vintage new one).

I have a brand new Rustler for sale in the Market Place if you want a 2wd beater....

RC Racer
    Don't worry! I won't. I don't want to damage any more difficult-to-find parts! Just wonder about it on occasion.

RC Racer
    I had a chance to do a few things today:

1. I got the new Summit (longer) shocks in and put the extra set of double orange springs in the rear. Now, it rides like a truck!

2. I also installed Hot Racing aluminum shock mounts front and rear.

3. I waterproofed the Mamba Monster ESC with Pasti-dip, so I'm ready for the snow, baby!

4. I got to take it to the track and it did great. It got filthy dirty, but it was really fun!

I love this truck!

RC Racer

A few weeks ago, I saw this really cool mamba monster motor mount (MMMM?) in an E-Revo thread.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...d-E-Revo-Build

Once I got my Summit, I contacted the seller to see if it worked in the Summit. As it turns out, he had never had anyone try, so I became a beta tester for him. Turns out, it works great and looks awesome! It also has a super cool ESC mount built in. It looks heavy but weighs just 5oz. more than the stock mount. Here are a few pics:

If anyone is interested in this for their Summit, here's is the link for the mount on eBay (seller vgad23). As you can see, it's very reasonably priced for such a solid mount.

http://bit.ly/1dUXSzP

If you want to see the install, here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyT6965958U

Highly recommended!
    Last edited by Bsheasby; 11-09-2013 at 05:24 PM.

RC Racer

Crawling! So, I have the Phaltlines on Blast Wheels for the street and the Brushless E-revo wheels/tires for bashing and track driving, but I really wanted something decent for crawling. Thanks to eBay, I managed to score these narrowed Axials with Proline Moab XL tires in the now-discontinued G8 rock crawling specific rubber compound.

As you can see, the wheels were fairly scratched up, but the tires are in excellent condition. I pulled them apart and cleaned them up, flipped over the beadlock rings (no scratches on the other side), and plastidipped the wheels in gunmetal color. Here are the results:

On the truck:

The obligatory soda can shot:

I can't wait to try this setup on the rocks!
    Last edited by Bsheasby; 11-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.

RC Racer
    For some reason, my Transmitter (1st Gen 2.4ghz TQ) stopped working. It just wouldn't power on at all. I opened it up to see if there was anything obvious and there wasn't to my untrained eye, so I was in the market for a replacement. After doing some research, I decided to go with a FlySky FS-GT3B since it's quite a bit cheaper than a TQi and is well reviewed. It's a 3 channel, but it can be hacked to operate up to 8 channels, though the 8 channel receiver apparently will not fit in the Summit's receiver box. I'll probably try the 6 channel since it's smaller and has all the channels I will need right now, and at about $11, the price is right. For now, I put the shifting servo on the 3rd channel and will do the diff servos once I hack it. Here's the radio:

It has a 10 model memory (100 once hacked), so I will also use the 3ch receiver for my vintage Ultima once I get the 6 channel receiver. I also wanted to put a rechargeable battery in it, so I picked up a small, cheap ($7.50) 3S 1000mah Lipo and soldered Traxxas connectors to it and the radio after removing the battery tray, and...Voila! Lipo power.

I could put in an LVA but decided that since the radio has an easily accessible Voltmeter built in, I'll just monitor it myself.

The radio works awesome, especially for $36. The range is double what the old radio was, and the screen/menus/buttons make adjustments so much easier to do than on the old one. I'll be hacking it soon and will update once I get that going.

RC Racer
    Truck looks much better now that you did sme work. Thanks for sharing and keep the updates coming....

RC Racer

I took a few pictures a few days ago and thought I'd share. I've got a new clear Summit body on the way that I'm going to paint, so my next pics hopefully will be of that! The Silverado body will stay my bashing body. Here are a few photos of the innards. A few notes - I've been using the 52/18 gearing for bashing and general use. Temps are fine in the Colorado winter and the speed is fun. Temps were a bit high with 52/24 on anything but the street. I haven't had the chance to do much crawling yet, but I will probably drop to stock gearing or close to it when I do. You'll also notice that I got the red anodized hubs. I'm planning to have some red in my color scheme on the new body and couldn't resist. I also added the aluminum front upper arms that you can see in the pics. They were kind of a whim bid on eBay that I won, and I resisted putting them on the truck for a while. I finally gave in and put them on, and I like them. I'll probably have to get the rears now.

Last edited by Bsheasby; 12-01-2013 at 10:21 PM.

RC Racer

I got the Clear Summit body and new exocage in! Love this body. Now, it looks like it's supposed to. I could not find the paint color I wanted at my LHS. I was wanting to use Tamiya gunmetal with some red accents, but they did not have the polycarbonate version. Since I already had some plastidip around close to the color I wanted, I figured "why not just paint it with this and then peel it off when I get the right paint?" I've used plastidip on my 1:1 car and it is very durable, so I don't see why it wouldn't be on a lexan body. Anyway, I like the result so much that I'm going to keep it this way, at least for a while. Plasti-dip actually comes in quite a few colors now, so it's kind of a fun way to get different looks without replacing the whole body (assuming the body is still in good shape)

Photos with my bashing (Brushless Emaxx) wheels/tires:

Last edited by Bsheasby; 12-06-2013 at 11:53 AM.

RC Racer
    Body looks awesome

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    Body looks awesome
    Thanks! I'm really happy with it.

RC Racer

Since I bought my Summit used, the pushrods and toe links on it were in not-so-great shape. I replaced the pushrods with the red aluminum Traxxas ones, but the toe links were pretty beat up with some pitting and rust spots on them. Here's the one that was the worst:

Not a great look. So, I came up with a way to clean them up. For starters, I put them in a drill (poor man's lathe), and with the drill spinning, applied some fine grit (220) sandpaper to remove all the spots and pits. Here it is in the drill ready to go:

And here it is after doing half of it so you can see the difference:

Then, reversed it in the drill and did the other side, careful not to get the turnbuckle. (I sanded the turnbuckle when it wasn't spinning.) Then, again spinning it with the drill, I hit it with some of this:

I then followed it up with a bath, and here's the result:

Much better, and best of all, free!

Wow, that's what I call TLC! Nice job, and nice Summit!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Wow, that's what I call TLC! Nice job, and nice Summit!
    Thanks!

Great....now mine is complaining lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

^ Ha ha I know what jamann is going to do tonight...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Great....now mine is complaining lol

Sent using lipo power
    HaHa! It may not be of the tender variety, but you can definitely tell it's loved!
    Last edited by Bsheasby; 12-07-2013 at 05:32 PM.

RC Racer

Small update - like much of the rest of the country, we've had quite a bit of snow recently. However, it's been dangerously cold (subzero), so we haven't really been able to enjoy it very much. Anyway, I was inspired to make some snow chains for my Moab XLs for when it warms up a little bit. I went with 14 gauge Black-colored jack chain from Home depot. If anyone is curious, I did 27 links for the sidewalls and 6 links across. There are 9 horizontal chains spaced every 3 links. I also have plans to build some sort of snowplow apparatus. Sounds like a lot more fun than shoveling. We will see how that goes!

Pics:

Last edited by Bsheasby; 12-08-2013 at 05:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice truck...

RC Qualifier
    that is a sweeeeet summit. keep up the good work.

RC Racer
    Its coming out nice man you should have some fun with it.

RC Qualifier
    Slick trick with the toes, good results.

I have to know...... Whats with the reversed axles?
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    Slick trick with the toes, good results.

I have to know...... Whats with the reversed axles?
    They actually were that way when I got the truck used. I was going to flip them around but read in this and other forums that people do it to protect the boots - the rationale being that they are more out of the way and therefore less prone to damage from debris. Made some sense to me, so I left it, but I'm actually going to reverse them to stock since I've been noticing the boots do touch the arms slightly at higher suspension angles. If they ripped from that it would pretty much defeat the purpose!

RC Racer
    Big update. My wife is out of town, and you know what that means! Rebuild! I had a cracked bulkhead that I superglued a while ago, but I decided to order a new bulkhead set from DollarHobbyz and also a new chassis while I was at it. I've been wanting to dye the chassis black and figured the easiest way would be to just get another and then transfer everything a section at a time. While I was at it, I also dyed the axles, rocker arms, all rubber boots/clips, and I removed the plastidip from my Axials and dyed those black too. Here are the parts after dying:

I also picked up the Traxxas red anodized bulkhead caps and replaced my stripped 2075 servos with a single Solar D772. One of my T-lock servos also gave up, so you'll notice that it's not in there while I figure out what to do. Does anyone know of a good metal-geared drop-in replacement? For some reason they keep going out for me, and I'd love something more durable.

The whole project took longer than I thought, but it was a lot of fun and I learned my truck really well. Here is the truck with everything transferred over:

The dyed boots/axles:

The seller of my motor mount also sent me a new plate, based on my feedback, that added a notch for the multiplicity of servo wires you have to pass through for us Summit owners. It's perfect:

With the body:

RC Racer

Took the Summit for a quick drive in the little bit of snow we have left. I didn't put the chains on since there was so little snow. I'll save that for the next snowfall.

Last edited by Bsheasby; 12-15-2013 at 02:50 AM.

RC Racer
    A few snow photos:

...and the carnage.

I've got to get one of those Dusty Motors shrouds. That would make snow cleanup SO MUCH easier.

RC Racer
    Created a separate thread for this, but thought is update my build thread with this too:

So, I had some free time last night, and I got a chance to build a snowplow attachment for my Summit. I started with a snow shovel and remove the handle (obviously):

I picked orange because most 1:1 snowplows seem to use orange for their implements and grey/orange looks sweet! I them used my dremel to cut along the line I drew.

I then cut some aluminum channelling to fit along the top edge.

Drilled holes in that and mounted it to the shovel. I then bent a steel "T" that I guess is used for doors, but works nicely for this. I then mounted that to a spare front skid that I had with 2 screws/bolts/washers on the bottom of the "T" and then used 3 more screws/bolts/washers to attach the top of the T to the shovel. Here's the result:

I made my design just browsing around Home Depot looking for parts that would work. It's very simple, but I think it will work nicely for what it is. I have some thoughts of how I might improve it and would love to add the ability to raise/lower it, so maybe I'll add that down the road. The way I did it, it was a really easy project and really fun to do. Now I'm ready for more snow!

Cool nice work, I like seeing built thinks as opposed to bought and bolted on.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    A few photos of my son's Christmas present, a 1/16 Summit VXL, with my big Summit.

We took them out together yesterday and had a blast. His VXL is still running in training mode, but it's still pretty quick even in that mode! This is a really fun little truck.

RC Racer
    I got the roof light kit for Christmas, so I got that installed and I love the look. It's actually a lot of light this thing puts out now!

I also had another LED go out on the front bar, so I decided to try something different. I replaced the corner lights with Amber LEDs to kind of look more "scale". I think I'm also going to poke some LEDs through at the headlights to replace the light output I lost...once I figure out the best way to wire them into the roof lights.

I like the amber lights,looks good

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Thx. It looks a little funny without headlights, but I think it will look neat with them.