RC Racer

Low Voltage Detection

How does the LVD work on the newer summit, I mean, I know that the light goes red, but how will you notice that if you are driving it a way away from you?, does it work like LVC and actually shut down the truck or what?
    What can I do to... I mean WITH my Summit now?...

It's a two stage it cuts power in half no punch then it will shut down the motor eventually.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Cool so it's like LVC but gradual rather than instant?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Keep in mind that when the LVD cuts the power to 50%, STOP running the vehicle. I know it will continue to move at 50% power, but that is just further draining your LiPo packs into potentially damaging low voltage territory.

Low Voltage Detection

What Jakey says is correct.I use it to bring the truck back to me slowly and change packs

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Ok thanks, once that happens, once I have recharged the batts they are fine to use again right?

RC Enthusiast
    In my case, when LVD Stage 1 kicks in, the Lipo's voltage is:
    - 3.70-3.73V/cell on the non-BEC side pack;
    - 3.47-3.50V/cell on the BEC side pack.
    And that's why I assume, that the Stage 1 is set to be activated at about 3.6V/cell, or overall 14.4V.

So I confirm what Jakey said. Only once, I continued driving it until LVD Stage 2 was activated (motor shut down completely), and the BEC side pack was at about 3.20-3.30V/cell.

As to using the batteries after recharging - it's always a good idea to give them a good break between the cycles - regardless of the pack's chemistry
    Last edited by nedrabod; 11-02-2013 at 01:40 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrabod View Post
    In my case, when LVD Stage 1 kicks in, the Lipo's voltage is:
    - 3.70-3.73V/cell on the non-BEC side pack;
    - 3.47-3.50V/cell on the BEC side pack.
    And that's why I assume, that the Stage 1 is set to be activated at about 3.6V/cell, or overall 14.4V.

So I confirm what Jakey said. Only once, I continued driving it until LVD Stage 2 was activated (motor shut down completely), and the BEC side pack was at about 3.20-3.30V/cell.

As to using the batteries after recharging - it's always a good idea to give them a good break between the cycles - regardless of the pack's chemistry
    Just curious, when you noted the cell voltages for each pack were those voltages a live read made with monitoring equipment attached to the packs or were those the cell voltages you saw after pulling the packs from the truck and attaching them to a charger?

As for using a LiPo pack more than once per day, as long as the pack is allowed to cool down before attempting the next charge, there isn't any pack risk or damage associated with running the pack multiple times per day.

RC Racer
    Ok thanks Jakey

RC Racer
    GibraltarSummit

See this thread for some thoughts on LiPos

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...LiPo-batteries

If the lights on the Summit start to go out as you accelerate, it is time to stop, let the batteries get to ambient temperature, then recharge em. If you have telemetry and voltage sensor on the Summit, I generally stop when the total voltage reading is 15-15.2v (7.5-7.6v per battery). This is roughly the storage voltage for the battery which is about 40% of capacity. If you keep running the batteries down until you get to LVC, then battery life will be reduced compared just running it down to 40% capacity. Lipo will last longer if the charging is generally kept between 40% and 90% of capacity.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Just curious, when you noted the cell voltages for each pack were those voltages a live read made with monitoring equipment attached to the packs or were those the cell voltages you saw after pulling the packs from the truck and attaching them to a charger?
    These are the voltages measured right after shutting the truck down. I'm using a portable voltmeter and always check the packs when I finish driving the beast. Usually I shut down the truck, when Stage 1 activates and the Lipos are almost on storage level

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I ran to full LVD CUT OFF once and once only - reading on one of my 2S lipo cells after I unplugged it - 2.2V

Yeah he didn't make it Lesson learnt!

RC Qualifier
    I had problems with my LVDs on my Summits. I run an LVA (limiting volt alarm) and plug the bec battery into it. I can monitor the battery voltage and stop when I'm close or let the alarm go off. I got the LVAs from Spc they are like $5.00. The other advantage is you can use your NIMH batteries as backup. When the LVD on the ESC is activated, you need a fresh set of lipos to reset it. With the LVD off and use the LVA, when the lipos are done, all you have to do is plug in the NIMH batteries to get home or to your car.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

A fresh set of LiPo's is not needed to switch back to NiMH mode from LiPo mode...

Try following this video:
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Didn't want to get to involved in my previous post. If you use the LVD on the stock ESC and it activates, You can simply un plug both of the lipo batteries, plug the non BEC battery into the BEC plug and then de activate the LVD and then use the NIMH as spares. I just found the LVA a way easier solution and in my opinion the LVAs are more accurate and convenient to use.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Stating that it isn't possible without fresh LiPo's is quite different than choosing not to do so because of your personal preference.

I was informing of the truth in switching to and from the LiPo setting... because it is possible even without LiPo's let alone fresh ones.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.