RC Racer

anyone know of a 5000mah lipo for the merv?

hey everyone ive been searching high and low and havent found a 5000mah 2s lipo that will fit in the mini e revo vxl does anyone know of where i can get one? if such a thing exists can i run 2 in parallel.

Thanks Nathan
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

It does not exist. I do not believe it is possible with today's technology.
    The largest I know that fits in the battery bay is 2500mAH.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Ya you can put two Spc 2s lipo batteries with 2500mah a piece, run them in parallel and you get 5000mah. With these two batteries you can run for about an hour.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    Ya you can put two Spc 2s lipo batteries with 2500mah a piece, run them in parallel and you get 5000mah. With these two batteries you can run for about an hour.
    ok thanks and what charger would you recommend for charging them in under 30 minutes? ive heard that i dont need to balance charge them as long as i balance charge them about every 10th time i charge it

RC Competitor
    All LIPOs must be balance charged every charge

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rippinex View Post
    yes you must balance charge them every time or the can be ruined or cause a fire or other problems like that
    Blue 1/16 summit vxl crawler

Charging will still take ~1 hour at 1C... but you may find packs that have higher charge C ratings which can bring this time down considerably.

I have an iCharger 206B, a ParaBoard, and a power supply built by me. I can balance charge 6 2S 2500mAh packs in about an hour at 1C or if I increase it to 1.3C it can be done in about 35 minutes... both from LVC to full. This would give you about 3 hours run time.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Charging will still take ~1 hour at 1C... but you may find packs that have higher charge C ratings which can bring this time down considerably.

I have an iCharger 206B, a ParaBoard, and a power supply built by me. I can balance charge 6 2S 2500mAh packs in about an hour at 1C or if I increase it to 1.3C it can be done in about 35 minutes... both from LVC to full. This would give you about 3 hours run time.
    ok did you make the power supply from a pc power supply? and 1 hour would be great considering my traxxas balance charger takes 4-5 hours per battery

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    ok thanks and what charger would you recommend for charging them in under 30 minutes? ive heard that i dont need to balance charge them as long as i balance charge them about every 10th time i charge it
    IDK who is giving you this horrendous advice, but you need to kick that person to the curb.
    Any decent modern recent charger has a built-in balancer. There is no reason to not balance your packs with every charge.
    If you are considering simultaneous charging of multiple packs, I'd suggest a Hyperion EOS 730i Net3 with a ParaBoard and a converted server power supply. And making sure you do your homework, you seem to be doing here.

RC Racer

and also what do you think of the Thunder AC6 your chargers a bit much for me as im 15 and have to pay for my hobby by working on a farm

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    IDK who is giving you this horrendous advice, but you need to kick that person to the curb.
    Any decent modern recent charger has a built-in balancer. There is no reason to not balance your packs with every charge.
    If you are considering simultaneous charging of multiple packs, I'd suggest a Hyperion EOS 730i Net3 with a ParaBoard and a converted server power supply. And making sure you do your homework, you seem to be doing here.
    ok i seem to be making the mistake of listening to a lot of bad advice with my first electric rc. i will balance charge them every time but i need a charger for 70 or under i can make a pc power supply if need be as i have about 7 desktops laying around at the moment

i also found this one http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...8&pid=D2488825
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-31-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: merge

Use a server supply, not a PC supply. PC supplies are not up to the task of powering chargers.

LiPo safety lesson #1 for me: Don't cheap out on a charger.
    There are only a few charger brands I trust... Hyperion, iCharger, Revoletrix, and Traxxas.
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 10-30-2013 at 10:56 PM.

RC Racer
    Use a server supply, not a PC supply. PC supplies are not up to the task of powering chargers.

LiPo safety lesson # for me: Don't cheap out on a charger.
    There are only a few charger brands I trust... Hyperion, iCharger, Revoletrix, and Traxxas.
    ok will do thanks and im sorry for my previous thread i got a little out of control

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    ok i seem to be making the mistake of listening to a lot of bad advice with my first electric rc. i will balance charge them every time but i need a charger for 70 or under i can make a pc power supply if need be as i have about 7 desktops laying around at the moment
    There is an immense chasm between any charger you can get new for $70 and the EOS730i I mentioned above, which can be had for $99 shipped. For less than a $30 difference, anything else should not even be considered.

I've made a few power supplies, based on notebook PC supplies to desktop PC supplies and beyond. PC power supplies are not up to the task of powering a decent charger.
    The Thunder AC6 will NEVER be in my house.

RC Racer
    There is an immense chasm between any charger you can get new for $70 and the EOS730i I mentioned above, which can be had for $99 shipped. For less than a $30 difference, anything else should not even be considered.

I've made a few power supplies, based on notebook PC supplies to desktop PC supplies and beyond. PC power supplies are not up to the task of powering a decent charger.
    ok ill look for a used one and my pc power supply is a 1000 watt pulled from an old gaming pc i made years back

RC Qualifier

Can you tell why? Because that's my charger... Tell the truth, i don't mind, prefer actually!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post

Can you tell why? Because that's my charger... Tell the truth, i don't mind, prefer actually!
    i think he just doesn't trust the brand

RC Champion
    There have been lots of problems with that charger.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Well i got the Thunder AC6 4 years ago.

The AC power supply died 1 one after using it. (230v)

Then of course i used a DC power supply of my own, an orion 5A 12VDC and it's working till today.

I charge everyday almost 1 to 2 packs on it!

Maybe the problems are just with the AC power supply?

Quote Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post

I'll save a thousand words:

RC Racer
    I'll save a thousand words:
    thats a good enough explanation for me!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rippinex View Post
    I strongly disagree with that quote. I literally melted my balancer off the battery [oops] and i have to charge it without balancing and the battery works like new. Yes, theres a higher risk to fire and stuff, but it works perfectly.
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasfreak61 View Post
    I strongly disagree with that quote. I literally melted my balancer off the battery [oops] and i have to charge it without balancing and the battery works like new. Yes, theres a higher risk to fire and stuff, but it works perfectly.
    You can strongly disagree if you like, however it is still in the best interest of safety to balance during every charge cycle.

Safety, safety, safety!!!!!

Why do you think the occurrence of LiPo fires has decreased dramatically?
    It has decreased because chargers now balance charge over just charging the battery.

So I strongly disagree with your statement.

ALWAYS BALANCE CHARGE.

Not doing so is taking unnecessary risk.
    If your charger does not perform this task... search for a balancer or buy a charger that balance charges.

RC Qualifier
    Like i said, i cant balance by battery because the balancing cable melted off. I also charge it in a lipo bag.
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, and you can lie down on the street for hours on end and maybe not be hit by a car. Does that mean taking a nap on the street is OK?

Sorry but that is just foolish and bound to cause an issue, it is just a matter of when it happens. The only lipo that does not need to be balanced is a single cell lipo.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Like i said, i cant balance by battery because the balancing cable melted off. I also charge it in a lipo bag.
    These guys are not trying to give you grief,they are genuinely concerned for your safety.
    Nothing personal at all these batts have potential to cause serious harm

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

The risk is not just during the charging process... but during use as well.

I hate reading of melted RC's, burned down garages/houses, and worse yet burned RC'rs because of LiPo neglect.

Worse yet you don't even know how the balance is on your pack with melted balance wires.