RC Qualifier

Refreshed Spartan

That's right... I am getting my Spartan ready to use in the South Texas winter(not much but it's artic temps to me). I ordered the following from a certain $ Hobbies:

Receiver box (stock)
    Traxxas 2933 (new 6-AMP charger)
    Bilge pump
    4 11.1v 5000mah Lipo’s
    TQi radio system (stock for newer models)
    New screws/tool set (stock)
    2075 Servo

And then decided I would share some small wealth with OSE:

All came out to $415......... yep, blew through it...

What should I be doing once I get it in the water again? Jimmie says there is no need for "breaking in LiPo's(I would think there is). Grease after EVERY RUN regardless! I cannot tear the motor apart for cleaning because the previous owner stripped the screws... I have Gen2 Spartan for those who don't know me. I figured hatch tape can help when I decide to start pushing against the wind. Bilge pump> That's right, I either will use it for clearing out the lines after runs or mount it on the roof hatch(inside) so it can stay afloat longer while capsized... Reason for new cooling lines is because mine are getting weak and they are too small of flow(currently have OSE 7/32 lines with dual P-U rudder). I will have to keep a notepad around for which batteries are used on which side(personal preference)
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
    PM for info.....

RC Racer
    I have the same problem with the motor screws. Also do you have an aftermarket prop? If not that would be my suggestion. I use the CNC X442 prop and am pleased with its performance.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    I will be using the stock prop for my stock flex cable. I will place my order from Jeff once my stock cable starts to die, that seems to be a common problem with these motors (from what I have been reading). That is one of the props u will order, along with a Prather 215.
    PM for info.....

RC Racer
    Thats exactly what I did I ordered the X442 and the SS 215. The Prather did not give me a significant performance boost so I just use the X442 now.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    What should I use for cleaning the inside of the hull? I have some Kaboom soaking the yellow spots at the moment but I have tried it before without any difference. I just went after with a toothbrush and that did help a little bit! For my next hull I will put some clear tape under the motor and all the way back. Also is there a new model motor, this one looks like the mounting plate and different wiring????

Got most of my parts in today, and installed! Basically the only difference from mine is the dual cooling rudder, adjustable trim tabs, dual water outlets, non-leaking motor jacket, strut with bearings, and ME driving it! I have to say on the first 6S LiPo run I was smiling ear to ear, I will never run this boat on 4S again(unless to test batteries)! The water has recently raised in my area 2-2.5FT so naturally debris came up with the water. I had to stop every pass because some type of grass/weeds were stuck on the rudder! With the TRX adjustable tabs down this boat was flawlessly smooth today, sure the water wasnt rough but its my normal chop that I run in, my batteries were all the way to the front too. I have no doubt that I will be using this boat when it gets around 35F outside, it's just stress relieving for me! For anyone who uses those bogus Ni-Mh packs or 4S lipo I HIGHLY suggest you upgrade. I couldn't test the range of my new TX/RX because I wasn't planning on hitting any floating objects. One last item to come in, the Traxxas 2933 6-AMP charger!!!

On another note to the Traxxas employee who surfs these forums:
    Dear Traxxas, I am young and so is my Spartan. I love Traxxas for more than the look of it's products, I enjoy craftsmanship and dedication to a product. What I am about to say is something that you have probably heard before, This boat needs the following upgrades------Dual water pickup rudder (WITH DUAL COOLING) and a new NON-leaking motor jacket. That's it, I feel much more people would enjoy this Remote Control FE boat if it came from the factory this way. I think there should be ANOTHER color choice such as Green, BRIGHT Orange, and Carbon Fiber black. Yes this has all been in the suggestion box before but I really do think it would be more a better Traxxas experience to offer more than two colors for a under-cooled FE boat. Let's be honest, I love my Traxxas products and so do many others. And to add in the final thing----Get a better stand than this plastic thing you melted down in my package! Now that the rant is over don't think I have had a bad experience with a Traxxas product because the only issues I have were from my own fault/not thinking. I will almost always support a company that has at least a home office in the Great State of Texas. I think the Gen2 Spartan is spot on(besides the under-cooling).
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-23-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: merge
    PM for info.....

Traxxas Employee
    For future reference, LiPo batteries do have a 5 run break in (listed in the manual that comes with them).

RC Qualifier
    I saw that and that's why I was asking, I wanted to know if I should do anything else...

Another Spartan refresh containing:
    6 Castle Creations 6.5mm polarized male connectors
    6 Castle Creations 6.5mm Polarized Female connectors
    3Ft of 10 Gauge RED wiring
    3Ft of 10 Gauge BLACK wiring
    Castle Creations cap pack
    1o pairs of 5.5mm gold bullet connectors(Yes I know, might as well stock up!)
    PlastiDip for the Castle cap pack
    Another strut with SS bearings
    All in all $133
    Still waiting from Traxxas Support about my power system... Probably not going to replace the motor

Not much going on in this thread at the moment... Guess Winter is here, I received my new ESC last night at 8:20PM.... Going to my LHS soon to get the new connectors soldered on. First estimate was $10-15 bucks, called today to see what it would be and they said $20-25... I will pay if it's done with quality workmanship, or else I would do it. I want to watch them so that I can get the hang of it. Traxxas Support is good if you call every two days to remind them, mine stayed at the shipping place for a week!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-23-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: merge
    PM for info.....

RC Enthusiast
    Bring it by to my Hobby shop ill do it for you for free you just need to buy the ends.

RC Qualifier
    Where is yours at? What's it called? I go to Oddessey Hobbies off Nasa 1 and 45, I would give them more business if they were not so expensive but it's business! I'm 17 without a car and my stepfather now makes Me pay to go anywhere10mins=$10...
    PM for info.....

RC Enthusiast
    im remote control hobbies houston west

RC Qualifier
    Too far for me. Thanks for letting me know though! If I am ever in Katy I might just stop by, I have family up there somewhere in Katy. I may not be using my Spartan until January, I just found out that I have a hernia.....

Does anyone have ideas on how to increase the water flow besides drilling out the rudder? I have large OSE tubing, dual pickup with dual outlets. Does the 5 inch rudder have the cooling inlets at the bottom or same location as stock! Maybe I could drill out another inlet so one line could have two inlets? I barely have water coming out at WOT. So deeper rudder holes would increase flow (IMO).
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-23-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: merge
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Do you have good water flow at mid range throttle?

My observation is that it is often difficult to get a read on the water flow at or near top end speed.

The stream is getting blown back and broken up at high speed. Not to mention the boat blasts by so fast.......

How are your temps after a run? That is the true indicator of adequate cooling.

hog

RC Qualifier
    The boat runs WARM (I think). Temps on the capacitors are hot.
    I would take temp readings but when I fell in the water the other day it fell out of my pocket... My batteries feel 95F and the motor actually seems quite cooler than it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    The boat runs WARM (I think). Temps on the capacitors are hot.
    I would take temp readings but when I fell in the water the other day it fell out of my pocket... My batteries feel 95F and the motor actually seems quite cooler than it used to.
    I drilled abit more today, the run
    After the inlet enlargement has much cooler temps! I saw a LOT more flow, even At full speed!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-23-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: merge
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Kintec 5 in rudder solved that issue. Plenty of flow

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalirevo View Post
    Kintec 5 in rudder solved that issue. Plenty of flow
    I almost bought it but I was turned off by drilling my hull.... I will get it eventually, it's a lot cheaper than the OSE dual pickup!

Did some soldering yesterday, and the day before... Everything tested ok on dry power up, just need to add the Castle cap pack in. The cap pack has another Plastidip session! I am amazed that the hobbyshop I no longer support could not do this and a first time solder job got it done!

Batteries
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-23-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: merge
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    From the pic of the speed control, it look as though not all of the copper strands are full of solder.

Did you tin the wires prior to soldering them to the speed control post's?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Why do you mean by tin?
    PM for info.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Why do you mean by tin?
    See 1:11 in this video.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier

Refreshed Spartan

Thanks coolecool! Didn't think you would ever comment for me again... But yes I did that!

The post below yours needs to be edited because of his last link. It involves explicit activity...
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    If anyone is interested in a Stock motor and slightly modified ESC let me know... I am going to put a SK180 and motor in..
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Can anyone tell what's wrong with this picture? I will give you a hint: the grey lines/pinstripe? It's crooked and doesn't match up??!?!

PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    The graphics on all my Spartans (i.e. including replacement hulls) have been crooked.

These boats are mass produced and I doubt much time or effort is dedicated to applying the graphics decals to any degree of perfection.

Not many people will notice when the boat blasts by at 40-50 mph.

hog

RC Qualifier
    K, just wondering if it was me... It's a minor issue but needs to be improved. The only reason I noticed it is because I was sitting in the car waiting and was glaring at my boat.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    YAY! Just spent $200+ for ESC/MOTOR/5" Rudder/Cooling jacket/EC5 Connectors! Kintec racing should love me, or at least my Paypal account! I forgot the program card though..... I will have another member solder my new connectors! There is only about 3 members I would have solder my stuff! Oh, SK180 with the 1600KV! My stock electronics are in the Market Place, I will sell them CHEAP! What settings should I have my SK180 at? I will have stock prop and will be running on 6s.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 01-01-2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: More thoughts
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Just occured: Do I need a BEC for the SK180? My stock stuff is still available...
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    i left all my settings the same except for lvc and it flys with with that set up i have the same thing

RC Qualifier
    So all I need is just the new ESC and motor and I'm RTR? Given already that the batteries and radio are connected along with the cooling...
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    and cooling jacket for motor. Probably should waterproof the new esc and caps. Your going to need bullet connectors for the esc and motor. Use the card to turn up lvd and to turn reverse on.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Socalirevo! The combo from Kintec came with the jacket and motor pre-bulleted. I have EC5 connectors, Program card, and Plastidip on the way! I will get that shipping quote for the stock electronics tomorrow, I have been busy all day!
    Last edited by Spartanator; 01-02-2014 at 11:50 PM.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    if memory serves me all i had to do was add my traxxas connectors to the esc for my batts.but you better be careful asking for help or opions about a non traxxas brand it will get deleted too JM2C

RC Qualifier
    Got most of my new toys in! I sent the aftermarket ESC, LiPos, charging cable, connectors, and the full tray to be re-done by a fellow member! He should get them by Friday. I am surprised how big the Kintec rudder is!. Few other goodies to show up soon!
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    You should get a good cheap soldering station and practice soldering on your own with random wires you have lying around. I know thats my next step.

RC Qualifier
    I have one but I just run out of time, gotta get sleep! I will get some practice in sometime, it's better than paying $28 to ship it to someone, then paying to get the job done. It's discouraged me a bit after those last two swims for my Spartan.... Yes I know it's not recommended to swim for your rc but when you have as much as I put into it that thing will be retrieved! I should have stayed with 4s lipo!
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    You should have a retrieval boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    ive swam for my spartan many times lol

RC Qualifier
    I was going to build the recovery boat from a Villain but.... My parents didn't like the idea of me having another rc...
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    did you ever sell it? Your villain?

RC Qualifier
    Yep, a local Grandfather got it for his Grandson. Wish I would of kept it.... Regret on that one big time but at least I got to make someones Christmas smile. Horrible smile on my face at the moment, my package has been delayed to ___________'s house for soldering work because of the weather conditions, maybe my dis-charger, Spartan Power plant, and Castle SV3 can come back in one shipment now. RC withdraws are not making me smile. That was the coolest looking RC I have ever had....
    PM for info.....

RC poster
    Spartanator will you post a picture of the modifications you did to your Spartan? Interested in how you hooked up the sk 180 esc. I am new to Traxxas and the Spartan also. Thanks for any help.