RC Qualifier

Stampede XL-5 Diff lock?

Hi I have a stampede and I'm pretty sure that I want to lock my diff. I don't know how to or what to use to lock it. Any info would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly putty works well. You might get a little bit if slip, but you likely won't notice it. This will allow you to remove it when you see you have no steering.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    You need some diff action. Try an HR alum diff 28$ with 500k wt oil. This will effectively lock the dif, but still slip a small amount to help save your axles. HR also makes a solid diff locker for about 15 bucks.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Yep, the HR locker will lock it up tight but will beat the snot out of your drive shafts and tranny gears, steel or otherwise. It also won't steer worth a darn.

I second rag6's suggestion. You could also use a traxxas Proball diff and adjust it to slip a tad but it's not recommended for bashing and really has some limitations in racing as far as durability with brushless, but might be okay with your XL-5.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-T...item43c21dafee
    Bunch of Rcs worth more than my car.

RC Qualifier
    So silly puddy works good and will allow slip right. I may look into this, thanks for the info and the link.

RC Racer
    I had been using the flm sealed diff with badhorsie grease and went back to the stock diff to see the difference. as of right now I need to get some different diff oil because the stock diff has to much wheel spin and the badhorsie for me has to much.
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I locked my pede diff with jb weld one time. Terrible idea. It was uncontrollable and broke lots of other parts!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by iZach98 View Post
    So silly puddy works good and will allow slip right. I may look into this, thanks for the info and the link.

The amount you put in will dictate the amount of slip you get. If you pack it full the diff will slip very little, half full, and you'll get more. You'll have to turn it to your liking.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, is it esay to take apart the diff? I have never done this. Any pointers I should be aware of before doing this?

RC Qualifier
    4 screws and the plate comes right off. Take a look at the transmission exploded view for assembly details. Can't seem to find one at the moment.

EDIT: Found it. The diagram shows the diff assembly. http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...705_tranny.pdf
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 11-19-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    Bunch of Rcs worth more than my car.

this should help.

RC Qualifier
    Wow thanks for the exploded view! That helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by iZach98 View Post
    Wow thanks for the exploded view! That helps a lot.

It is a little annoying getting into the diff, taking the tranny off and apart is a little challenging the first time. Just take your time, start with a neat and organized work area, lay everything out, and use the exploded views.

Whenever I have a transmission open I take the time to clean everything off, getting rid of the old grease. I check all bearings, making sure they are all rolling smoothly, and make sure the teeth on the gears are fine. When putting everything back together I put a thin bead of Associated black grease on each one of the gears, right in the contact patch. When I have all of the gears together on one side of the transmission I roll the gears, making sure they all get a coating of grease. You do not need much, just enough to coat the contact patch of all of the gears.

The amount you put in will dictate the amount of slip you get.
    +1 VERY IMPORTANT. This goes with any gear diff.

The bad horsie diff grease works well(as well as Tamiya anti-wear grease seems 99% the same to me) with the unsealed stock diff. Just put more or less in to get less or more slip, respectively. The ultra thick grease will only come out if you over pack it, but you have to almost fill it up to get some limited slip. So adding more with out overpacking it gives you a very touchy adjustment to stiffen up the diff action.

A sealed diff using diff oil gives you a much finer range of adjustment. You can mix oils to fine tune the stiffness of the diff. You can also "scoop" some of that mixture out to lighten a diff when you are close, as long as the diff is 50%+ full. The oil/sealed diff will also hold its setting waaaay longer, where a grease/unsealed diff will need pulled and filled often. Oil is much more consistent.

Even 500,000 wt oil will leak out of a stock unsealed diff. This is the way I run my main basher. I fill it 60% full w 500k. 10 packs later, I pull the diff, clean the small amount of leaked 500k off of everything(causes drag in the driveline), refill to 60% full and off I go. I will get an HR sealed diff soon to save me a bunch of maintenance.