Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

New project.. And some updates to an old project..

I've been seeing alot of nice projects on here lately and some trucks that look fantastic in a few stampede threads as well. I've been slowly trying to clean up my FLM build as well as put together another rustler with random things I've picked up along the way. I'll start off with my older project, the FLM rustler that I will hopefully succeed in breaking the 100mph batter with in the near future. One of the biggest things holding me back at the moment is I'm still pondering what batteries to use.. Also new lids on the way for both of these.. Well, on to the pics of my FLM rusty..
    This is where it was at the last time you guys had probably seen it..

This is where I'm at now, and probably still not finished...lol.

Side shot

Other side

Bellcrank, new aluminum top plate, new aluminum servo link, new countersunk washers

Rear shot
    New all aluminum hot racing gearbox(like it better than my composite one) black and silver heat sinks, red countersunk washers, all red aluminum locknuts.

Last edited by Dadx2mj; 10-27-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: O/P Request

RC Qualifier
    Another whole body shot.

Custom Lexan bottom plate to stop air from coming through chassis. (Thinking up new design for an extra one when this gets damaged)

Currently waiting on my Hot Racing heavy duty slipper plate and aluminum slipper pads to arrive for this, have them on my "current" project and love them..
    More to come shortly..

RC Qualifier
    Next up, but still not finished is my blacked out rustler(currently not fully blacked out) I only had enough red lock nuts left over plus a red aluminum tie bar so I figured I'd use that for now. I have some black "shock socks" but I'm not too thrilled about how they look on the shocks. Doesn't look too bad the way it is but I want as much black as possible..

With old lid I had sitting around that I never used. It used to be on my FLM rusty. Soon to be an all black lid.

Naked shot.

Different angle.

Front shot

Top shot

RC Qualifier
    Still needs to be pulled back apart and cleaned up a little bit, it's been sitting for 2-3 weeks as i've been really busy and haven't had a chance to really mess with it. Also the wiring needs to be cleaned up a bit, along with the links that came with the FLM kit when I traded for it. They are a little rusty but I'm thinking I may just use some truck bed liner on them to keep them from rusting more and bring back that black look.

(Don't mind the dust on the bulkhead)
    Will most likely be listing upgrades to both, and hopefully more upgrades/updates to come soon.
    Thanks for looking..

RC Qualifier
    Contemplating going with black and silver on the "blackout Rustler." Haven't really decided yet. May just order some parts and see what it looks like, if I don't like it I'll continue with the all black scheme.

RC Champion
    Wow loving the red accents on the FLM Rusty...especially that bellcrank! and I wanted to uses the same tire/wheel combo but I heard it was discontinued?

and I see we think alike man lol I was going to get a Slash VXL and Black it out using some HR aluminum also. Sick Rustlers my friend.

RC Qualifier
    The bellcrank is just the traxxas red aluminum bellcrank, with a few washers and shock pistons to take out the slop. Fits like a glove now, with absolutely no play at all. I got these wheels off of a guy on a different website a few months back for dirt cheap, they were only used once and he was getting out of the hobby.. I just happen to catch his post at the right time. I'm pretty sure GRP still offers these tires, they are just a different tread pattern I believe. I prefer this tread verses the new one tho. These are the xtra soft compound and believe me when I say they are STICKY. Get this thing outside on a 80-90 degree day and run it up the street one time and the tires feel like you spilled grape juice on them.. Keeps the car glued to the ground. On the black rustler I'm gonna throw the aluminum hot racing gearcase on it, then decide if I'm gonna continue the all black or go black and silver.. Last night I found a few more places to put some red washers on the FLM rusty.. Hopefully have time to post some pics when I get home. I truly appreciate the compliments G, your builds are top notch man. Im trying find a hitman to kidnap (RCnap) your aluminum son of a digger build and bring it to my house...

RC Champion
    yea this tread pattern from what I heard is no longer in production. that's the pattern I like/want for my aluminum rusty. but I was going to settle for some 1/8th ofna wheels.

and come on man...don't take my diggers! lol

RC Qualifier
    For the FLM rustler, already have these on the blacked out Rusty..

RC Qualifier
    Not sure how its going to work on either of them tho.. I've yet to run it yet with the new slipper. The pin on the input shaft is way too small for the spot on the new slipper where it is supposed to sit. Also feels to have a little more play around the input shaft in it than the stock unit. Maybe I'm missing something or doing something wrong.. Dunno.. May just go back to stock for now.. I almost feel like it doesn't belong on here, I've never had a problem with hot racing products but for some reason it seems like the specs on this particular product is off, even using it with the hot racing gearbox. It almost seems like it fit better on the stock gearbox but still not the way it should.

Last edited by Baltim0re28; 10-28-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Nice looking build. What kv motor is that on the bling Rusty?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Nice looking build. What kv motor is that on the bling Rusty?
    Thank you, sir. Its a 2200kv. I wanna push it to 100mph but I'm starting to get scared that I'm gonna crash it..lol. If I crashed this thing I'd go insane!!

RC Champion
    Baltimore, I don't know what it is exactly about them, but the photos of the FLM build without the lipos look absolutely disgusting - sick sick rustler That's more like a pride and joy build there and I wouldn't want anything bad to happn to it either. Keep up the great work and good luck getting that magic number.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Oaks.. I truly appreciate your compliments. I honestly have gotten extremely obsessed with this thing at times to the point where I find myself staring at it while its sitting on top of the dresser(GF regularly makes fun of me for this) This thing is my pride and joy of my RC collection. I have the 1/8th scale extended arms for the front, but I'm not sure if I want to install them or not. The guy at Fastlane said it would perfectly even up the front and rear wheels. The extended front and rears I have on there now almost has them the same.. But the front wheelbase is slightly smaller. I'm debating on just turning the all black rustler into my 100mph project,lol. I wouldn't be as heartbroken if I crashed it.

RC Champion
    Lol, no shame there! Ive got to tell you man, having two rustlers is a blessing (even if my 'other' truck belongs to my kid ). One for the sweetness and one for the prototype, right? Speaking of which, I think I'm going to go squish the shocks on the ole trusty rusty for no good dog gone reason, lol.

RC Qualifier
    Lol@Oaks.. I like my P2de, it's just something about rustlers that draw me in for some reason... That's why I needed two. I also have a backslash that's currently in pieces. I was thinking about using the new lcg kit and rustler chassis I bought a few months back to rebuild it. Also debating on whether I want to build another P2de(thinking silver and black on that one). You mentioned springs, any idea if anyone has been successful painting or dying springs without it flaking off or wearing off? I'd like to make the springs black on the FLM rusty. I might just have to look and see if the losi 8ight springs fit the Hot Bodies shocks I have on there.

RC Qualifier
    Just got a package in the mail today... Not sure if I want to put these on the FLM rusty or not. I'm thinking it might be too much red. Also not sure that I want it to be fully aluminum, I have to have some "give" somewhere incase I do happen to crash it. Thoughts?

RC Enthusiast

Smile Hmmm...Could be catastrophic

Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    Thank you, sir. Its a 2200kv. I wanna push it to 100mph but I'm starting to get scared that I'm gonna crash it..lol. If I crashed this thing I'd go insane!!
    At 100mph you're definitely going to crash
    Sorry to say that. But I have trouble keeping my rustler on 4 wheels at 60km/h. It's usually stopping that's the problem

Nice brushless setup BTW

Best of luck.
    Michael
    Have cash, will spend!

RC Qualifier
    Liking those red parts Baltimore. I say use them on flm rusty. Then sit back and look at it. Now get all that looking done with and go stretch its legs. Do so cautiously. Take your time.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    yea i think those will fit perfectly on the FLM rusty, and yea you're bound to crash attempting 100mph. i just cant see the fact of attempting 100mph with a rustler without crashing a few times.

RC poster
    Filthy rustys Baltimore! Great work. Got me burning up the credit card now.

RC Qualifier
    Well unfortunately the red strc rear bearing carriers are apparently slightly thicker than the RPM ones that I have on there now because they won't fit. Didn't try the front caster blocks as I'm feeling I'm gonna run into the same problem. I may just use the caster blocks and rear hubs on something else unless I feel like dremeling a slight bit off the sides to make them fit. Not too happy that I have to dremel if I want them to fit.

RC Qualifier
    I have some older red traxxas rear hubs that I bought used that are a little wore down where they contact the arms.. Might search and see if I can find a washer to take up the slop and use them.

RC Champion
    Yeah, it should be this involved , ya know. The other issue I can think of is the diameter of the hingepin on the caster block is skinnier than the FLM spot. We run rpm caster blocks drilled for the outer hinge pin and rpm carriers. It's held up really well so far. The aluminum around the caster mount keeps it sturdy.

The speedster could prolly find black springs with a search for something of the 16mm variety.

RC Qualifier
    You know Oaks, I didn't even think about that with the caster blocks. I did have to drill out the the hole in my RPM casters so the pin could fit that connects it to the A-arm. That is the only spot that I couldn't use the strc hinge pin because the diameter of the hole in the arm was alot larger. Oh well, now I have red strc caster blocks and rear bearing carriers for a future project,lol. Also, thanks for the spring size.. That's the info I was looking for, now I can hunt down some black springs and see how they look.

RC Champion
    Cool man, figured I would say something before you opened them. By the way, I meant to say it shouldn't be this hard making it all work,lol. I really wish FLM made caster blocks for that sized pin.

RC Qualifier
    Just came back from the hobbyshop on my search for some black 16mm springs (thanks Oaks) and... No dice.. BUT I did happen to run across these in the Losi parts bin.

Tried one of them on the AKA 17mm wheel adapters and the threads match perfectly. Only thing I don't like about these is the fact they aren't serrated on the back, nothing a little locktite/permatex can't handle though.

RC Qualifier
    Pictures with the current body on and the new Red 17mm wheel nuts.

Another picture with the top off, spur/pinion on and new 17mm wheel nuts.

You can also see the red front and rear bearing carriers in this picture that I just installed.

RC Champion
    wow nice builds! I like the attention to detail with the 100mph one...but the other one is awesome too. Good luck with your 100mph attempts
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC Qualifier
    Thanks SLW-SVT. Got a package in yesterday from T-bone Racing and it was my "Thrasher" bumper for my non FLM rustler. With this being my first Tbone product that I've ordered, all I can say is WOW. This thing feels so much more solid than the RPM front bumper I was using previously on other trucks, also looks alot better in my opinion. I can see I will be ordering a few more of these for my P2de and future projects.

RC Champion
    looking good looking good!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    Thanks SLW-SVT. Got a package in yesterday from T-bone Racing and it was my "Thrasher" bumper for my non FLM rustler. With this being my first Tbone product that I've ordered, all I can say is WOW. This thing feels so much more solid than the RPM front bumper I was using previously on other trucks, also looks alot better in my opinion. I can see I will be ordering a few more of these for my P2de and future projects.
    The first time i drove my emaxx I broke the bumper in the first 37 seconds..at the end of this video. I guess it couldn't handle 9.5lbs. I haven't had any other problems with them though on 5 other cars.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    The first time i drove my emaxx I broke the bumper in the first 37 seconds..at the end of this video. I guess it couldn't handle 9.5lbs. I haven't had any other problems with them though on 5 other cars.
    Nice Emaxx!! Almost looked like as it was rolling over forward the T-bone bumper got caught and snapped it. In gonna try it on my FLM build and see what it looks like. I was going to contact T-bone to see if they could countersink the holes on the opposite side of the bumper so it faces down more instead of me mounting it upside down.

@G-Rustler, Thanks man..

RC Qualifier
    Got outside and snapped a few pictures today before the Ravens game. I decided to add a few silver accents to the all black rustler. Just a few countersunk washers here and there. Also had some scratched up traxxas red front bearing carriers/knuckles that I deanodized using some greased lightening (thanks SLW-SVT) and decided to throw them on here. Already had traxxas rear bearing carriers on here I had done the same thing with.

Also wanted to show off my new T-bone bumper.

Nice build. I'm a big fan of T-bone. I got tired of looking at the RPM's.

Nice idea on deanodizing the parts.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks O.G, I will probably never buy a RPM bumper again after feeling/seeing the Tbone bumpers. Not that RPM was bad or anything, they have saved me in a few crashes... I just prefer the looks and feel of Tbone.I'm waiting for them to run another coupon code and I'm going to pick up another thrasher bumper and try a basher bumper also. Not to mention you can't beat the warranty for their products. Since I don't plan on doing any blue aluminum builds in the future, I'm going to deanodize the blue aluminum tie bar I have sitting around in my parts box.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone have any idea what happened to Tbone Racings website? Went on there thinking about ordering another bumper this morning and the website is gone!!!!!

RC Champion
    Poof! Weird, ya know. It looks like they are operating under an ebay store now.

http://stores.ebay.com/T-Bone-Racing-TBR

RC Qualifier
    Hardly any Traxxas related bumpers listed!! o_O
    I still find it odd that the website is just gone that quick tho..
    Last edited by Baltim0re28; 11-12-2013 at 08:42 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Just spoke with them on Facebook and they are looking into the problem.