RC Racer

3.3 hard to start

I have a 3.3 in a nitro sport that is nearly impossible to start. I have readjusted the carb to factor settings. I have tried 3 different glow plugs and checked for leaks. It has ez-start, I'm running a new gallon of byron's 20% nitro. Once you get it running it's stupid fast and doesn't stall or anything. I had no trouble until I let someone else drive the car for 2 tanks. Any suggestions?

RC Competitor
    Is it hard to start again after it has been running and still warm or just when it is cold? Usually when my engines won't start it's something obvious and it's a condtion that would prevent it from running at all. A nitro engine needs 4 basic things to start and run, fuel, air, compression and an ignition source. Treat all these systems as separate entities and make sure there is not a break-down in any of them and you should be able to isolate the problem. Good luck.

RC Qualifier
    with factory settings it will be difficult to start because it is very very rich and it will just get full of fuel. you need to lean hsn a little to get it to start.

RC Racer
    It absolutely wouldn't start hot. Engine temp was 225 at the glow plug after sever wot runs. I was warming it up to start tuning when it died and failed to start again. It was 40 degrees outside so I figured that factory settings would be a great place to start.
    I ordered a losi 3.4 carb yesterday as some how the plug in the end is stripped. I've never had it out so I'm stumped as to ho it cas get stripped.

RC Racer
    So I found out more from my friend. The car died twice at half throttle. I presume it got hot. I can get it to start cold, but it won't idle with less than 2mm gap with the stock carb or a losi carb. The piston gets tight about 1/4 inch from the top of the sleeve, would a repinch help? The sleeve doesn't look scored. Also does the cut out in the piston skirt go away from the carb?

Cutout faces the carb. Easiest way to tell which direction it is: remove the exhaust header, look through the port and if you can see the rod when the piston is at TDC, the piston is backwards.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    It was in backwards. Plus somehow there was a piece of piston skirt in the bottom of the crankcase. I'm going to order a new p/s. Any ideas on the cheapest place?