RC poster

My E-Maxx is smoking moters

I need some help with my E-Maxx
    I just picked it up from a buddy of mine he wasn't using it anymore cause the esc died
    so I got it and bought a new esc for it the evx-2 i was using it with nimh batts 4200 it went ok...then i decided to use my lipos out of my crawlers they are venom 5000 20C 7.4 2cell batts and wow what a difference the truck is insane to play with but it cooks the moters in less then 2 minutes so i took it to a local hobby shop they thought the old moters could of been screwed so we put new moters in it and it cook them too they guys at the shop are lost as much as i am and one guy said to come here and ask
    so has anyone else had this problem to??
    both spur gears are 22 teeth and the pinion is 64 teeth
    Last edited by fubu; 10-26-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Pinions go on the motor.
    Spurs go on the transmission.

You are geared very aggressively. I suggest dropping down to a pair of 17 tooth pinions or so.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    Completely agree. You are geared way too high and all you are gonna do is smoke the motors. Like Jimmy said drop down to 17 or so on the pinions and try a 68 on the spur. Or you can pull the twin titans and try brushless or go for a single Titan 775 off a Summit.

RC poster
    lol opps my bad about the pinions and spurs
    ok thank you ill give that a try
    and is it possiable to run duel 775 on the emaxx

RC Champion
    IF you want more power consider looking into a single DeWalt motor setup, they are very powerful and have replaceable brushes.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC poster
    ya i have heard about that dose it matter what drill they come out of power wise?
    and dose it have to be dewalt cause i got some old ridged batt tool laying around

RC Champion
    There's old style and new style motors. New style motors are easier to use, the old style motors need work done to them.

Power wise, there's 12V motors, using 4s is crazy fast, but the brushes wear down quicker, They're only a few dollars so not a big deal.
    Then there's 14.4V, motors very nice on 4s.
    Then the 18V motor, not that good on 4s.
    Within these voltage ranges there is different power motors, Four or more in each voltage motor range.

The only way to check if a motor works from your old drill is take it out and try. If it has mounting holes on the face and the brushess are accessible for the power wire connection, it'll work.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC poster
    cool thanks for the help....so I found 2 14.4v drills on craigslist for 15 bucks im going to see if I can get them to day and put them in and see what happens
    if I cant get them then ill go with the titan 775 moter

RC Champion
    Just had a look at the old style motor, That won't work unless you make your own motor mount
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC poster
    thanks for the help
    I have managed to customize the stock motor plate to fit the 775 motor and I wired it up so its running both batts and with all 4 wires to the motor from the esc
    I must say its insane now what a difference

All 4 wires are not needed to run both batteries... both sets have the same voltage running through them.

My buddy ran his with a 775 for a few weeks before he upgraded to a DeWALT... that lasted until next summer and now he is running a 2650kv 150amp brushless system.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    I got the Dewalt motors im working on but a buddy found a titan 775 motor in his parts so I put it in that's why I used all 4 wires
    so are the dewalt motors better then the titan 775......I have noticed that the dewalts are 775 as well?

RC Champion
    Yes the DeWalt motor is better.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    I don't think it's better it just faster... I don't use a 775 in a maxx truck it's actually in my summit.
    I found the dewalts we good motors or speed and "rock racing"!. For deep down torque I found the 775 much better for high torque situations...
    Just do it...they make replacement parts.VXL power