Thread: NiMh Help

RC poster

NiMh Help

A few questions
    1. Do they have a memory effect? Sometimes I have to leave the house but the battery isn't done charging (I have the cruddy 6 hour stock charger), do I just unplug it or will that leave a memory effect and mess up the battery?
    2. How long can it overcharge or can it not be overcharged at all?
    3. I usually charge my batteries for 6 hours on a charger that says to charge them for 8 hours. After the 6 hours the green light comes on which means it's done even though it says to charge for 8 hours, is this ok/normal?
    4. If I charge my batteries for 6 hours, run them, cool them for 15-30 mins, charge them for 6 hours, run them, etc., is this ok or is it too frequent of charging on the batteries?
    5. Is the Traxxas EZ-Peak 4-Amp charger ok or does it charge too fast/hot?
    6. I just need advice on overall battery care.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron7856 View Post
    A few questions
    1. Do they have a memory effect? Sometimes I have to leave the house but the battery isn't done charging (I have the cruddy 6 hour stock charger), do I just unplug it or will that leave a memory effect and mess up the battery?
    3. I usually charge my batteries for 6 hours on a charger that says to charge them for 8 hours. After the 6 hours the green light comes on which means it's done even though it says to charge for 8 hours, is this ok/normal?
    4. If I charge my batteries for 6 hours, run them, cool them for 15-30 mins, charge them for 6 hours, run them, etc., is this ok or is it too frequent of charging on the batteries?
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    Ok so I only have one battery right now but I may get another soon.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron7856 View Post
    A few questions
    Yes, NiMH have a memory. Not as bad as NiCD, but it is there.
    Yes, the wall wart charger can and will severely overcharge the battery.
    What is the voltage of the pack? Is it warm or hot to the touch?
    As long as they have time to cool between charging and running and running and charging it is fine.
    It has selectable amperage... choose the one that is closest to 1C without going over. (1C = mAh/1,000)
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    Answers above in blue.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Actually I might get the 5 amp charger. I think it charges 6 hours because I don't discharge my batteries. Its the stock 8.4v 3000mah NiMh pack