RC Qualifier

Traxxas 2878's (8400mAh 11.1V Lipo)

I am stuck between the Traxxas 2878's and SPC 6500 11.1 batteries. I plan to use them In my Stock Spartan (gen2). How do the Traxxas 8400's hold up? What advantages besides the bigger mah should I be getting? I know the Traxxas 8400's will be heavier but would they fit in a 1/10 Summit/ E-Revo? Feel free to comment or suggest! I notice that the Traxxas 8400's are about $130 each vs. SPC 6500 @ $65 each, so besides the bigger mah what am I getting. I personally think the 8400's are a bit toooo expensive. I need something that will hold up!
    PM for info.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If you go to Products > Electric > Brushless Revo > Batteries it will list the packs that fit.
    The 2878's are not on that list...

But, lets check... Tower Hobbies lists the dimensions as 6.1 x 1.7 x 1.8" (155 x 44 x 45mm).

Looks like the pack is too tall.
    By the way, the 3S 6500 SPC is also too tall to fit in the Revo chassis.

According to the specs listed on both packs:
    8400 x 25 / 1000 = 210 available amps
    6500 x 65 / 1000 = 422 available amps
    The SPC is giving you more bang for the buck...

However, if you want a pack to work in both vehicles here are a few from SPC that will work in both...

http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....d=60&search=3s
    Not available yet, but should be soon. Said to fit in both the Revo chassis and the Spartan boat in the description. This pack is claimed to have a C rating of 60 which will yield 336 available amps for $56

http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....d=55&search=3s
    Available now... only 172 available amps though. Too little in my opinion for a amp hungry boat.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    As always thanks Jimmie, for some reason I want to stick with Traxxas on this one. I want to deal with a company I have dealt with before(haven't had a problem yet) I think I should just order 4 of the Traxxas 11.1 5000 Batteries that come with the Spartan. It's roughly $200 for that(from the famous Dollar shop). Do the Traxxas Spartan batteries work or do they actually perform? You are getting rady to roll over 10K posts! You are mighty helpful here and I really appreciate it... It seems as I waist a lot of money from constantly switching RCs' and that's about to stop! I have $200 in the Spartan fund at the moment but will have more by the time I order my stuff! Hopefully I can sell one of my 1/16 (preferably the RTR Rally) so that can help fund the other 1/16's batteries... Anyways are the Traxxas batteries for the Spartan any different than if you buy them separately? I know it has the same model # but is there something we don't know?

Traxxas batteries do perform... and I also feel that their C rating is under rated.
    There is no difference from a battery in the box with the RC and the battery bought separately.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to stick with the Traxxas brand.

I did not even realize my post count had gotten that high... lol

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I decided to go with the Traxxas 2872's(stock Lipos for Spartan). Reason being is I am still new to lipos so I need to learn about caring for them... So do you think I could stick them in some Tupperware with a paper towel around them in the fridge? We have a unused wine cooler in the game room so it's would be stored there. Also ordered the Traxxas 2923(6-AMP). How should I break these packs in?
    PM for info.....

Storing them that way is fine.
    No need to break them in.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Jimmie, what AMP should I charge at? I know 5000mah- can be charged UP TO 5 amps? What should I really charge them at?
    PM for info.....

5 amps. There is no known benefit for LiPo's to be charged at less than 1C.

RC Qualifier

Traxxas 2878's (8400mAh 11.1V Lipo)

Now I have my 3s packs (11.1V 5000mah) I am worrying about the storage. After the first usage I fully charged them and let them sit over night. I checked them this morning and they went from 4.20 per cell to 4.08 per cell. Is this because they are new or did I already mess up??? I only used two packs out of four packs so.... I know the TRX 6-AMP charger has a storage feature(supposed to get it in the mail today).
    Also what's the ideal storage number per cell? I have some balance checkers that I use, nearly fell over this morning because the balance checker read incorrectly because it got wet(forgot to move it before I sprayed down the Spartan.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 11-01-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    PM for info.....

RC Racer
    Seems to me if I read the voltage immediately after completion of charge and wait a couple of hours overall voltage will be a little lower and then stabilizes and I don't worry about it. If using two batteries I make sure the starting voltages of both are within 0.1
    V of each other.

Storage voltage is typically around 3.8 v/cell which is total voltage of about 7.6v for 2s and 11.4v for 3s. If I'm going to put the battery in storage, I'll run the truck or boat for the amount of time it typically takes to get down to these voltage levels or use the telemetry voltage reading to indicate when to stop. This is more fun than making a charger/discharger set the voltage. It doesn't have to be precisely 3.8v/cell.

Also see my posts in http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...LiPo-batteries

Throw the checker in some rice overnight... it might still be useable after that.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I put the balance checker in rice before I left too! Mine are stored @52F wrapped in paper towelss
    PM for info.....