Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    I almost feel guilty talking about the weather after seeing the news and reading the posts about you guys winter months. I just got in from my morning ride it is 68 now and sunny, just a beautiful morning heading to a high in the low 80's today
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

You had me at 68, but lost me at 80.

While winter is my favorite season, I will admit that I'd give it up if I could live somewhere it was consistently in the 50s at night and in the low to mid 70s during the day with a slight breeze. Anything other than that, and I'll keep my snow and single-digit temperatures!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    I feel ya cooleo! I'm getting anxious waiting to ride my bike again. It's suppose to be around 40s on Monday. I can't wait. I like the snow and all, but after awhile I get tired of it. Spring is my favorite season. Not too warm, not too cold.

Dad, send some warm weather our way!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    haha today me and my bmx buds shoveled out local bmx park and had one heck of a time
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-12-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Language

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    You had me at 68, but lost me at 80.

While winter is my favorite season, I will admit that I'd give it up if I could live somewhere it was consistently in the 50s at night and in the low to mid 70s during the day with a slight breeze. Anything other than that, and I'll keep my snow and single-digit temperatures!
    its was 70 degrees out today i went for short bike ride about 5 miles but i was doing 25 the whole time
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Qualifier
    It's suppose to 40s Monday then like 30-50 through out the week! It's about time we get a heat wave.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I almost feel guilty talking about the weather after seeing the news and reading the posts about you guys winter months. I just got in from my morning ride it is 68 now and sunny, just a beautiful morning heading to a high in the low 80's today
    Yea I had practice the past 2 days right after school when it was 84 here, stinkin' miserable. Get me outta this place!
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Yea I had practice the past 2 days right after school when it was 84 here, stinkin' miserable. Get me outta this place!
    BAH after living in several desert environments where the temps regularly top 100 mark the 80+ degree temps seem mild to me and I rather enjoy it until it gets up to about 90 or higher. Even so I will take the hot temps over what I see on the news back East and in the South now
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I've always said I'd rather be too hot than too cold.

80s sounds lovely now.
    Never trust a fart.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    I've always said I'd rather be too hot than too cold.
    I say that you can always put more clothing on, but you can only take so much off--unless you're at a nude beach!

Anyway, I got a nice couple of hours of saddle time in yesterday. The roads were relatively dry, but my freshly cleaned bike was still a mess in no time despite having full fenders. Save for the wind that toyed with me a bit, it was quite nice to be out and not have to worry as much about riding on the snow. That said, I still kept a sharp eye out because they were patches of ice in some spots, especially in the shaded areas.

I was on my morning trail ride this am and got a phone call so had pulled off to the side of the trail. This guy all decked out in red riding gear and a fancy road bike blows past me. I dont think I have ever seen anyone riding so fast. It reminded me of when cooleo posted about not riding trails because he rides so fast, made me wonder if cooleo had not come out to SoCal for some nice riding weather Any way I finished the phone call and started on my way again and in the distance hear sirens, not unusual around here and I paid them no mind. Couple miles down the trail I come to a place where the trail crosses a street and there is a traffic signal. There are lots of people gathered around and an ambulance and police car. When I got closer I see the guy's bike wadded up and another car with the drivers door smashed in and they are loading the guy in red riding gear on a stretcher putting him in the ambulance. According to a witness he never slowed down at the light which was red to him and he T Boned the car that was crossing the intersection. Man what a terrible way to ruin a beautiful morning ride, the guy was riding WAY too fast for the trail considering there are lots of people on it some waking their dogs some pushing baby carriages and some like me just cruising along at 7-10 mph. I have no idea how bad he was hurt but they did have one of those neck collars on him and the bike looked totaled.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Yikes! I hear about several similar accidents around here every year. I bet that rider stops at stop signs/lights (or at least slows down and clears the intersection) from now on.

Thankfully he hit a car in which the innocent driver was protected. Would have been a much worse story if he had flattened one of those poor couples walking a baby. I feel bad for the guy but at least he didn't cripple anyone; and like cooleo said, probably learned a lesson.

RC Qualifier
    Cooleo, if you're too cold you can't feel your fingers/toes and they could fall off, even your other limbs. Too hot you can feel and move everything, just drink plenty of water. Lol

Lesson learned for that guy. Hopefully.

I do all my biking 99% of the time in the country, so I don't worry about running into/over people. I usually stop at stop signs, but there's a few where I can see all ways and if no car is present and I don't hear any, I run the stop. I always stop when there's a sign before a major highway. I try to avoid ridding on them, but don't mind crossing them.
    Never trust a fart.

Cooleo, if you're too cold you can't feel your fingers/toes and they could fall off, even your other limbs.
    That's why you were proper hand and footwear!

RC Racer
    i hope that guy learned his lesson i once ran into the back of a car i know i learned to watch out after that happened

RC Qualifier
    That's why you were proper hand and footwear!
    Haha, I guess so!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    i hope that guy learned his lesson. i once ran into the back of a car, i know i learned to watch out after that happened
    I'm a very observant person, so I notice things a little differently than the average person. I.E: I could go to a friends house whose house I've never been in before, and notice that a couch or something heavy has been moved, as the indents on the carpet/floor tells where it was before, or something got moved and there is no dust where it was before, etc.

With that being said, i pay attention to the surrounding area around me pretty closely so I know to keep my distance, even if I'm just sitting still and when to expect to slow down or speed up.
    Never trust a fart.

i know i learned to watch out after that happened
    That's good. I wish more people, cyclists, motorists, and the like would learn to pay more attention. The most common issue I have while riding is motorists not paying attention. Just the other day, I almost ended up going into the side of a newer Chevy Malibu because the driver pulled out from a gas station right in front of me. I was able to slow down in time to avoid a collision and notice the nasty look the driver shot at me. Don't you love it when people get mad at you for something they did wrong?

Haha, I guess so!
    On the subject of cold weather riding, whenever I start getting down about the cold, I think about the guy who rode a bike to the south pole.

RC Qualifier
    I've almost hit someone. I was right behind them going like 5. So I decided to pass in the left. bad idea. They decide that they wanted to make a left hand turn while I was passing them. They didn't have no turn signal or anything. Luckily I was able to hit the brakes in time.

I couldn't do a biking trip in the South Pole. That guy is nuts! Atleast he made it safely..maybe with mine frostbite.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    That's good. I wish more people, cyclists, motorists, and the like would learn to pay more attention. The most common issue I have while riding is motorists not paying attention. Just the other day, I almost ended up going into the side of a newer Chevy Malibu because the driver pulled out from a gas station right in front of me. I was able to slow down in time to avoid a collision and notice the nasty look the driver shot at me. Don't you love it when people get mad at you for something they did wrong?
    yeah i was like 12 so i was not the smartest person in the world i sometimes ride on the side of a 4 lane road (on the white line) and every time i go i end up with at least one close call. my brothers been hit by peoples side view mirrors a couple times and then there was this one guy that turned into the bike lane as my brother was riding on it that's how his blue Schwinn got messed up. i know when i start driving ill give people room and actually pay attention (and don't even get me started on how much i hate when people don't use there turn signals) and as far as the guy riding in the south pole i agree with ithrowstones he's lost it

RC Racer
    Haha, I guess so!

I'm a very observant person, so I notice things a little differently than the average person. I.E: I could go to a friends house whose house I've never been in before, and notice that a couch or something heavy has been moved, as the indents on the carpet/floor tells where it was before, or something got moved and there is no dust where it was before, etc.

With that being said, i pay attention to the surrounding area around me pretty closely so I know to keep my distance, even if I'm just sitting still and when to expect to slow down or speed up.
    im looking into a career of csi and i have to train myself to pay attention to the little things you'd probably do great as a csi investigator

yeah i was like 12 so i was not the smartest person in the world i sometimes ride on the side of a 4 lane road (on the white line) and every time i go i end up with at least one close call. my brothers been hit by peoples side view mirrors a couple times and then there was this one guy that turned into the bike lane as my brother was riding on it that's how his blue Schwinn got messed up. i know when i start driving ill give people room and actually pay attention (and don't even get me started on how much i hate when people don't use there turn signals) and as far as the guy riding in the south pole i agree with ithrowstones he's lost it
    I probably average one close call per ride. Some rides I don't have any problems, but there have been other rides when I swear that I have a "run me off the road" sign taped to my back. The usage of turn signals is definitely a big one, especially when it comes to people turning right while I'm in a bike lane (resulting in what could have been a right hook). A lot of people also misjudge the speed at which I am traveling and pull out in front of me.

But it's all part of it, I suppose. All you can do is be alert and ride defensively. The same things happen to the drivers of motor vehicles all of the time--but they do have a several thousand pound metal cage protecting them.

RC Qualifier
    Nathan, I'm not sure what I want to be career wise. I'm not smart enough to be in the science field. Lol.

I've only had close call when I ride on major highways (don't do it if you can) but other than that, I'm good. Knock on wood.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    So I was riding today and came up to a cop blocking a backroad that I like to ride and told me to turn around so I asked him why. He told me they found a dead body behind the walmart on that part of the road. So I turned around and went through the walmart parking lot and got honked at and flipped off and I have no clue why. This is why I prefer to stick to the trails....

RC Racer
    So I was riding today and came up to a cop blocking a backroad that I like to ride and told me to turn around so I asked him why. He told me they found a dead body behind the walmart on that part of the road. So I turned around and went through the walmart parking lot and got honked at and flipped off and I have no clue why. This is why I prefer to stick to the trails....
    thats crazy! id be way to interested to turn back

RC Qualifier
    Wow. That's different. I don't ride into town. The only way to get there is on a highway and I don't like ridding on them. I'm sure I could find all the back roads into town, but in would get bored, lol.

I was once sitting by a cop at a red light. I was in the turn lane and he was going straight. That's the only cop I've seen while ridding, minus one watching for speed demons on a very back road.

You probably won't be able to ride down that road for a while.
    Never trust a fart.

That sounds like an interesting experience, sean1214.

I managed to get a few more good rides in last week. My ride on Saturday was very nice (still cold, but sunny for 95% of it), so that was a welcomed change. I was planning on getting out for a couple of good rides today and tomorrow since since it was/is supposed to be sunny, but I doubt that is going to happen due to a lack of time. Oh well, there will be more nice days I'm sure.

RC Champion
    Saw a dead baby rattlesnake on my ride today. Very concerning seeing a rattler in mid February. Here is an article to the story from yesterday. http://blog.pe.com/breaking-news/201...r-parking-lot/

RC Racer
    Saw a dead baby rattlesnake on my ride today. Very concerning seeing a rattler in mid February. Here is an article to the story from yesterday. http://blog.pe.com/breaking-news/201...r-parking-lot/
    when i lived int the mountains i once ran over a rattlesnake didnt even notice it till it was very upset and stinging my tire

RC Racer
    i got a short ride in today about 3 miles iv been busy packing the new house we are moving to has some trails within 2 miles of it they are alongside water ill post pics when i ride them we are moving on Thursday should be moved in on Friday so ill try to get some riding in on Saturday or sunday

RC Qualifier
    I don't see many snakes around me. Just lots of deer, and birds. Occasionally foxes.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    Got my first XC race of the season in the morning! Wish me luck! Side note: My fingernails are completely gone....

Good luck!

RC Qualifier
    When you say XC, I think of the running sport, lol.

Good luck though. Tell us how you did!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    Missed my goal of 15th by 2 and got 17th, but just over an hour for 15 miles on a sandy course isn't that bad...

Congrats! You probably had more fun on a bike than I did today. I spent an hour on my trainer doing some interval training. The high winds and the windchill kept me from riding outside today.

RC Qualifier
    Nice job! How many were there? 17? just messing.

I haven't rode since about probably October ish
    Never trust a fart.

October!? Yikes!

I was planning on riding the trainer again today, but I got distracted. I ended up doing some work to my Nitro Stampede and then played around with my E-Stampede in my basement for a while. I suppose if I'm going to get distracted by something, it might as well be R/Cs!

RC Racer
    well finally we got somewhat moved in and i got to ride on the trails for about 9 miles its so cool the trails are about 200feet from my house! i can literally get on my bike ride for 30 seconds and be on the trails its a big upgrade from where i used to live the trails being 6 miles away ill post pics tomorrow if i get another brake

RC Qualifier
    Yup, October-ish. sad I know.

You're so lucky Nathan!
    Never trust a fart.