Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    You're not using a pressure gauge to check for proper tire inflation? It's never a good idea to exceed the tire's ratings--as you have found out--and not using a pressure gauge will make that rather easy to do. If you have a front tire blow out while you're riding, things will get ugly. I would highly recommend spending the money to pick up an accurate pressure gauge.
    well ive been riding bikes since i was ten so almost 6 years and have had only 3 accidents 1 involving a car and one tire blow up so i think i have everything down to a science i do use a pressure gauge i exploded my tire 2 years ago.
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Qualifier
    I've been ridding bikes since I was about 2, no joke. So, 15 years I've been ridding bikes. I've had plenty of accidents, but only one where I've hit someone else, and that was my cousin because he didn't move outta the way fast enough and I was going pretty fast, just cuts and bruises and we are good to go.. The bike was pretty bad.

I've used a gauge once and filled my tires to where they were hard. Didn't exceed the maximum pressure limit. So now whenever I have to fill my tires I know how hard to make them to not go overboard.
    Never trust a fart.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I, however, prefer to err on the side of caution--especially when it comes to something that could end my life. All it takes is one tire blowout causing you to go down in front of a motor vehicle and that will be it. Why run the risk when a simple one minute pressure check could prevent it?

Personally, I check my tire pressure before every ride. I have an air compressor with a digital gauge that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet. Before I head out, I hook the compressor up, inflate the tires as needed, and take off.

Safety isn't the only reason I do this, though. Tire pressure can greatly impact the ride quality on various terrain, so I adjust my pressure to the conditions I will be riding in that day.

EDIT: By the way, experience has nothing to do with it. If that were the case, Andy Schleck wouldn't have dropped his chain on stage 15 of the 2010 Tour de France. Everyone makes mistakes; some cost us the race, others cost us our lives.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-09-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I, however, prefer to err on the side of caution--especially when it comes to something that could end my life. All it takes is one tire blowout causing you to go down in front of a motor vehicle and that will be it. Why run the risk when a simple one minute pressure check could prevent it?

Personally, I check my tire pressure before every ride. I have an air compressor with a digital gauge that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet. Before I head out, I hook the compressor up, inflate the tires as needed, and take off.

Safety isn't the only reason I do this, though. Tire pressure can greatly impact the ride quality on various terrain, so I adjust my pressure to the conditions I will be riding in that day.

EDIT: By the way, experience has nothing to do with it. If that were the case, Andy Schleck wouldn't have dropped his chain on stage 15 of the 2010 Tour de France. Everyone makes mistakes; some cost us the race, others cost us our lives.
    no offence but i think your blowing these safety concerns way out of proportions yes if you get in a car vs bike accident it will be bad but there's still a big chance it will not kill you and iv ridden 15 miles with an accidentally over filled tire (i checked it when i got home) and i was just fine the ride was a little harder then usual but i lived. however i do see what your saying "better safe then sorry" and i agree but there's no need to afraid of anything that could possibly go wrong some of these things are a one in a million chance.

Trust me, I don't worry about everything that could possibly go wrong; if I did, I would never leave my house. I do, however, worry about those things that are within my control, tire pressure being one of them. I have a wife and family that wants to see me come home safely. If spending 1-2 minutes of my time before a ride ensures that one thing on the list of things that can go wrong doesn't happen, I'm happy.

That said, I wasn't trying to derail this thread with my concerns about safety. I hope that everyone has been out enjoying their bikes! I've been doing a fair amount of running recently, so I haven't been biking as much (2-3 rides and 2-3 runs a week).

RC Racer
    Trust me, I don't worry about everything that could possibly go wrong; if I did, I would never leave my house. I do, however, worry about those things that are within my control, tire pressure being one of them. I have a wife and family that wants to see me come home safely. If spending 1-2 minutes of my time before a ride ensures that one thing on the list of things that can go wrong doesn't happen, I'm happy.

That said, I wasn't trying to derail this thread with my concerns about safety. I hope that everyone has been out enjoying their bikes! I've been doing a fair amount of running recently, so I haven't been biking as much (2-3 rides and 2-3 runs a week).
    no i understand and i wasn't trying to attack you, i have also recently started running i do about a 6 and a half minute mile on average id like to get to a 5 minute mile sometime but that would probably nearly kill me lol.

RC Racer
    ok so i finished up the bike degreased/re greased all the bearings oiled all the wires replaced the rear tire because it was dry rotted replaced the tubs tuned everything and got most the paint off. ive gotta say its a nice little bike for riding the dirt trails although ill probably almost never use it. i think im gonna buy the white version of the mountain bike i used to have that got stolen because i loved that bike

RC Racer
    also i may buy this instead of having my schwinn powder coated http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4166178306.html

RC Qualifier
    That's a nice looking for for being a little older!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    That's a nice looking for for being a little older!
    if your talking about the trek yeah it looks really nice and ive always wanted a trek my fear though with these cheap bike is some may be stolen and i dont want to buy a stolen bike

RC Qualifier
    If you can just ask how they got it.

I'm not sure I would want a 800-1000$ bike. I'd be content with like a 450-600$ bike. But for now, I'll do with my 150$ bike.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    If you can just ask how they got it.

I'm not sure I would want a 800-1000$ bike. I'd be content with like a 450-600$ bike. But for now, I'll do with my 150$ bike.
    yeah the more expensive the more people try to steal them off the bus over here

RC Qualifier
    I live out in the country. We don't have to really have to worry about people breaking in or stealing. Although we did get new neighbors back in like May or something like that and they have stolen a few things out of the neighbors car, and they stole my moms purse. I do keep my bike kind of hidden though. But it's not that hidden.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    I live out in the country. We don't have to really have to worry about people breaking in or stealing. Although we did get new neighbors back in like May or something like that and they have stolen a few things out of the neighbors car, and they stole my moms purse. I do keep my bike kind of hidden though. But it's not that hidden.
    your neighbors stole from your mom? if i had a neighbor like that id be sure to beat him up. the city i live in bike theft is very high i had one bike stolen, my brother had 8 bikes stolen none of witch where recovered. i hate theifs and wish i could get my hands on each an every one of them.

RC Qualifier
    Yup. Right out of her car. They didn't even close the door. We aren't 100% sure, but we have a strong feeling it was them. The one kid had an ankle bracelet and wasn't allowed to go anywhere other than school (that's how bad these kids are) they tracked him down to the other neighbors when one of their cars was broken into.

I like the country better. Haha
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    haha id get so bored in the country i live in the less populated area about 5 miles from town and i even get bored here iv always wanted to live in a huge city like new york.

RC Qualifier
    I think I would get bored in the city. You can do basically whatever in the county. The city you are coped up all day long.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    But we do need to stay on topic
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    But we do need to stay on topic
    yes yes we do i rode 24 miles the other dayi want to do a 50 mile ride sometime

RC Qualifier
    Good job! 50 mile rides are fun. I've only done it once, but it was a fun ride. Next year my goal is to do my first century ride.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    Good job! 50 mile rides are fun. I've only done it once, but it was a fun ride. Next year my goal is to do my first century ride.
    go for it!

RC Qualifier
    I'll have to wait until winter is over, haha.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    I'll have to wait until winter is over, haha.
    yeah i feel you there i hate riding in the winter

RC Qualifier
    The coldest I've ridden in was probably 40-45 ish. It wasn't bad, minus the fact that I haven't rode in over a month and my legs were just about ready to die after 6 miles.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    The coldest I've ridden in was probably 40-45 ish. It wasn't bad, minus the fact that I haven't rode in over a month and my legs were just about ready to die after 6 miles.
    yeah im not riding my bikes at all this time of year this time of the year is for being lazy and enjoying running your rc's in the snow

RC Racer
    ok i found a nice road bike for $100 i might be getting it sometime this week

I'm looking forward to the 20 degree temperatures this weekend, but I'm crazy (as noted earlier).

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    ok i found a nice road bike for $100 i might be getting it sometime this week
    Going slightly off topic again (sorry) I picked up a 7 speed version of the beach cruiser I have last week off of CraigsList for $50. It was a bit of a drive to get it and then I swapped my Ape Hanger bars, seat and pedals off my single speed onto it ....

BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Going slightly off topic again (sorry) I picked up a 7 speed version of the beach cruiser I have last week off of CraigsList for $50. It was a bit of a drive to get it and then I swapped my Ape Hanger bars, seat and pedals off my single speed onto it ....

nice find i love the whole beach cruiser look to bad i live in the desert, i dont think i mentioned in this thread but i actually traded my old ipod touch with a broken screen cracked glass and dented back for the schwinn.

RC Qualifier
    Cooleocool, you're nuts! Haha, but enjoy!

Nice looking bike Dad.

Nathan, that's one good deal you got.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    I'm looking forward to the 20 degree temperatures this weekend, but I'm crazy (as noted earlier).
    yeah you have fun with that ill be inside warm and comfy playing some xbox

RC Racer
    Cooleocool, you're nuts! Haha, but enjoy!

Nice looking bike Dad.

Nathan, that's one good deal you got.
    yeah its the 1981 trek 500 i posted earlier on this thread http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4166178306.html

You must be fairly tall to ride a bike with a frame that large!

Just so you know, Trek didn't make the 500 in 1981. The bike you linked to appears to be a 1983; it sold for a price somewhere in the mid $300 range when new. That bike looks like it could be a good candidate for a rebuild, though--it appears to be in great shape for its age!

RC Racer
    You must be fairly tall to ride a bike with a frame that large!

Just so you know, Trek didn't make the 500 in 1981. The bike you linked to appears to be a 1983; it sold for a price somewhere in the mid $300 range when new. That bike looks like it could be a good candidate for a rebuild, though--it appears to be in great shape for its age!
    yeah im pretty tall around 6' 3" if i do buy it i will redo all the bearings and true up the rims and that should do the trick

The chain could probably use a cleaning and some fresh chain lube as well.

Have you ever had any issues with the brake pad material drying out on those older bikes? When I rebuilt my early 90s Trek, I tried to retain the stock pads; that was a mistake because the braking was horrible. I ended up installing a set of dual-compound KoolStop pads and haven't looked back.

RC Racer
    The chain could probably use a cleaning and some fresh chain lube as well.

Have you ever had any issues with the brake pad material drying out on those older bikes? When I rebuilt my early 90s Trek, I tried to retain the stock pads; that was a mistake because the braking was horrible. I ended up installing a set of dual-compound KoolStop pads and haven't looked back.
    yeah i have a huge problem with my schwinns brake pads at first they worked ok but now they barely work so i need to replaced those but once every 40 years is ok i probably would replace the treks chain if i did buy it and of course new brake pads along with a full tune up of the derailleurs and brakes then id shine it up with some turtle wax.

RC Qualifier
    I'm real tall at 5'8.

If you rebuild it, good luck!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    I'm real tall at 5'8.

If you rebuild it, good luck!
    yeah im still unsure weather or not ill get it but if i do ill post the whole rebuild on here for you guys im also working on a bmx bike project.

RC Qualifier
    At least you stay busy. Haha. I also have a bmx bike that i don't ride very often.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    At least you stay busy. Haha. I also have a bmx bike that i don't ride very often.
    yeah i had one when i was younger but hurt myself a lot with a bunch of stupid tricks and jumps