Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger9 View Post
    ya and I think it has a stitched seat by gary fisher himself that I never seen, original everything, except tires.
    man that bike sounds awesome! im willing to bet you can get a few hundred for it
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I went for my first ride this year. Weather was still a bit chilly, but good enough to do around 50km.
    nice bike! how many miles or km does it have on it? the weather here can be 80 degrees one day and 40 the next but the wind is what drives me nuts and keeps me indoors

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    man that bike sounds awesome! im willing to bet you can get a few hundred for it
    I would like to see how rare it is first and I think the sprocket has his signature on the back or does he do that with all of them

RC Racer
    I would like to see how rare it is first and I think the sprocket has his signature on the back or does he do that with all of them
    i have no idea im not to familiar with gary fisher bikes but im sure some of the other people on this forum are

nice bike! how many miles or km does it have on it? the weather here can be 80 degrees one day and 40 the next but the wind is what drives me nuts and keeps me indoors
    Thanks. How many miles... wow I don't know to be honest. I bought it used about 9 years ago for an awesome price. There was this shiop who delivered bikes to the Dutch speed skating team. Every year the skaters got a new bike and he got the "old" ones back. I got a nice deal on this one. Paid around $1000 for a bike which was around $2800 new. It was used by the physiotherapist of the team and he treated it great. It was like new when I bought it.

I had a few years where I didn't do much, but I have some more serious plans for this year. Only things I ever replaced are tires, chain and rear gears.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Thanks. How many miles... wow I don't know to be honest. I bought it used about 9 years ago for an awesome price. There was this shiop who delivered bikes to the Dutch speed skating team. Every year the skaters got a new bike and he got the "old" ones back. I got a nice deal on this one. Paid around $1000 for a bike which was around $2800 new. It was used by the physiotherapist of the team and he treated it great. It was like new when I bought it.

I had a few years where I didn't do much, but I have some more serious plans for this year. Only things I ever replaced are tires, chain and rear gears.
    sounds like a good deal!. i got my bike for a few hours of yardwork, i have no idea how many miles where on it before me it was sitting for 14 years so couldn't have been that many but since i put the bike computer on it has 2462 miles. is your bike a mix of aluminum an carbon fiber? i personally don't like carbon fiber due to the fact the frames usually have some flex to them. but the mix of carbon fiber and aluminum is something id consider

sounds like a good deal!. i got my bike for a few hours of yardwork, i have no idea how many miles where on it before me it was sitting for 14 years so couldn't have been that many but since i put the bike computer on it has 2462 miles. is your bike a mix of aluminum an carbon fiber? i personally don't like carbon fiber due to the fact the frames usually have some flex to them. but the mix of carbon fiber and aluminum is something id consider
    This one is all alu, at least as far as I know. I never was a carbon fan myself, at least not for bikes. Maybe that has to do with my 250lbs...

My previous bike had a Reynolds 531 frame and I remember guys who drove behind me telling me that they were surprised how much that frame bended in a sprint or uphill. I remember that my average speed increased around 2 miles with this Giant, seemlingly with the same effort.
    Nobody is born with experience

i personally don't like carbon fiber due to the fact the frames usually have some flex to them.
    Aluminum frames have their advantages, but they sure can make for a harsh ride.

Also, there's a reason why the pros ride CF frames.

EDIT: For those who care, here's a pretty good article summarizing the pros and cons of the different frame types. What frame material to go with is another one of those touchy issues in the cycling world. Everyone has their preferences, but you just need to go with what suites you (and your budget) best.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-04-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post

EDIT: For those who care, here's a pretty good article summarizing the pros and cons of the different frame types. What frame material to go with is another one of those touchy issues in the cycling world. Everyone has their preferences, but you just need to go with what suites you (and your budget) best.
    i cant agree with that article more i still prefer aluminum and steel is second best for me

RC Champion
    hey has anyone heard of a garry fisher bike
    Yea Trek has a "Gary Fisher" series of bikes and my bike is one of them.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    what colors your bike

RC Racer
    im going to repaint my old schwinn this time ill use rustoleom wet sanding and lots of drying time. what do you gusy think of black?

RC Champion
    por15 lasts longer and looks better

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Viper all you are missing is a fatbike for the winter months!
    Yeah, all my riding buddies are after me to get one because they all have... I will probably do it, but I do have my eye on a new road bike

Currently this is my winter/commuter bike, a custom made 1989 Rocky Mountain Wedge, made of steel and filet brazed construction. It has a way cool 6 color splatter paint that just can't be replicated, having streaks as long as 3 feet in it. They bike was hand brazed by Lance Bohlen himself, Rocky's big chief. In the winter I run Continental 420 studded tires, they are like Velcro, allowing me to ride in an dout of deep ruts with impunity!

One fine -32C morning commute to work

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I don't know if I have mentioned it yet on this thread but I ride a 2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite. Found some good mud holes after a ride on sunday with my friend and couldn't resist.... It was even better than this before the wet roads cleared some of the mud off... I also got stuck in one 2 feet deep and had to walk out, lol.

Nice Bike, looks like a great day of riding!

hey has anyone heard of a garry fisher bike
    Yep, Gary was one of the pioneers of the Mountain bike. He sold his operations to Trek, still his early works are sought after.

is your bike a mix of aluminum an carbon fiber? i personally don't like carbon fiber due to the fact the frames usually have some flex to them. but the mix of carbon fiber and aluminum is something id consider
    You know that is not really true.... Carbon fiber frames allow the frame to be engineered with stiffness where it needs to be, yet still be compliant. They are the stiffest, lightest and strongest frames made today. Sure they can have draw backs, say in a accident, and they get nicked, still carbon frames are very nice riding and stiff.

Aluminum can be very stiff as well, however very harsh, and dull feeling, that's why so many love steel or Titanium for they are much more lively feeling.

So true. I had a Klein Quantum Pro, made by Gary Klein before he sold to Trek as well. It was super stiff and allowed a person to corner with incredible lean angles. It was a criterium racing bike, however it really could punish you on a long ride, or rough roads.

i cant agree with that article more i still prefer aluminum and steel is second best for me
    We like what we like I like Titanium, Carbon, Steel, Aluminum, generally in that order, but then it also really depends on the frame design. I have ridden may flexy steel bikes that, are just so smooth, a person could care less what its made of.

por15 lasts longer and looks better
    Por15 doesn't fair well when exposed to sunlight. The manufacturer recommends topcoating the product if it will be exposed to sunlight.

RC Champion
    Por15 doesn't fair well when exposed to sunlight. The manufacturer recommends topcoating the product if it will be exposed to sunlight.
    I think you need to get the hardner with it and it makes it last longer and will withstand sun light

RC Champion
    Well, if you're just spray bombing it, Rustolem is as good as any other...

I think you need to get the hardner with it and it makes it last longer and will withstand sun light
    The directions do not mention a hardener; however, they do state that Por15 needs to be topcoated if it will be exposed to sunlight.

10. POR-15 should not be applied over other paints. It is UV sensitive and must be top-coated with an opaque paint if left exposed to the sun.
    http://qr.absolutecoatings.com/QR-as...Directions.pdf

RC Champion
    More about Road Biking... I love how it pushes a person. These are my riding buddies that really can put out!

And because I know you want to see more of this slooow road bike

I love the sound of this copper bell. I was at a cross when I got it as the stainless matched the bike better, but this thing sounded sooo good! I had to have it.

My wife's Electra and mine

Happy to see another Cruiser on here

I got a bell similar to that but chrome the other day and am still amazed how people walking on the bike trail jump out of the way when I ring it,,,you would think it was an air horn from a semi truck LOL
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Happy to see another Cruiser on here

I got a bell similar to that but chrome the other day and am still amazed how people walking on the bike trail jump out of the way when I ring it,,,you would think it was an air horn from a semi truck LOL
    Ha, Ha, Yeah I seen you had posted yours earlier, so thought I should join in The bells make it!

These Cruisers really are like freedom to ride. No bike shoes, gloves, lycra, helmet, making sure I've packed the right stuff and enough food for +100kms. Just jump on with my cargo shorts and go!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Ha, Ha, Yeah I seen you had posted yours earlier, so thought I should join in The bells make it!

These Cruisers really are like freedom to ride. No bike shoes, gloves, lycra, helmet, making sure I've packed the right stuff and enough food for +100kms. Just jump on with my cargo shorts and go!!
    thats how i ride with my road bike i bring my backpack with a snack or two my water and a leather men and just go wherever its really a lot of fun.

RC Champion
    The directions do not mention a hardener; however, they do state that Por15 needs to be topcoated if it will be exposed to sunlight.
    yes it wont mention it, but the hardner you can get from por15, makes it look like powdercoat, and of course make it rock proof

yes it wont mention it, but the hardner you can get from por15, makes it look like powdercoat, and of course make it rock proof
    We must be talking about different products produced by that manufacturer. I'm referring to Por15 Rust Preventative Coating; this is the product I see most often referenced in the automotive world and it's the product I thought you were referring to. As I noted, there is no mention of a hardener in their directions or even on their website related to this particular product. As such, I don't believe one is supposed to be used with it. If you could add one of their other products to it to make it UV resistant, I'm sure they would have a note in the directions about it.

Now they do make a two part topcoat that uses a hardener and is also UV resistant; however, that product runs over $40 a pint! At that price point, you'd be better off getting a bike frame powder coated (if you're after durability) or going with an automotive paint system (if you're after a nice finish).

That said, I have had good luck doing a spray bomb paint job on a budget build I did few years ago. It's not the most durable finish in the world, but it works if you're on a budget.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-05-2014 at 11:29 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Good to see another biker! Some neat pics you guys have put up. I feel bad that I don't have any to put up, but once it warms up and I'm able to ride, I'll get some!
    God is good.

RC Champion
    ^^^ For sure post up pictures, I love looking at bikes

Here is an updated pic I took this morning on my ride. Since the first pic I posted the pedals and have been changed along with a double legged kick stand added because the ape hangers made the bike top heavy and it always wanted to tip over,,,oh and the ring a ding bell is new LOL

Last edited by Dadx2mj; 03-06-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Here is an updated pic I took this morning on my ride. Since the first pic I posted the pedals and have been changed along with a double legged kick stand added because the ape hangers made the bike top heavy and it always wanted to tip over,,,oh and the ring a ding bell is new LOL

that bikes looking sharp!

RC Racer
    thought everyone might like to see this, i found a great deal on craigslist should i get it? http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4343721513.html

RC Champion
    do any of you guys bmx race

thought everyone might like to see this, i found a great deal on craigslist should i get it? http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4343721513.html
    Being a French bike, you could have difficulties replacing or upgrading parts due to the threading and such.

RC Champion
    Nice! I like the springer fork! Must be a riot to ride!

Sure, if that's what your after..

Not since I was like 17, which is so long ago I forget Kuwahara's PK Rippers were all the rage then LOL

RC Racer
    i used to until i got hurt lol

RC Champion
    i used to until i got hurt lol
    howd you get hurt man

RC Racer
    howd you get hurt man
    well i was an idiot and i decided to impress my brothers by jumping my cool new bmx bike. i must have got some good air because i remeber being up really high, but the next thing i know im face down in the dirt. my chin took the fall and my bmx bike fell right beside me. it didnt do much permanent damage but it did discourage me from ever jumping a bmx bike again
    Last edited by nathan8856; 03-07-2014 at 05:03 PM.

RC Champion
    well i was an idiot and i decided to impress my brothers by jumping my cool new bmx bike. i must have got some good air because i remeber being up really high, but the next thing i know im face down in the dirt. my chin took the fall and my bmx bike fell right beside me it didnt do much permanent damage but it did discourage me from ever jumping a bmx bike again
    ouch man, lucily when I wrecked badly, after I healed I kept racing

And now back to the ROAD bike topic...
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    hehe sorry roadbike wise today while i was riding i ran over a curb and it bent my front rim very slightly (it doesn't effect performance or riding) im wondering how do i go about truing my rim with out a truing tool? and what method to use

hehe sorry roadbike wise today while i was riding i ran over a curb and it bent my front rim very slightly (it doesn't effect performance or riding) im wondering how do i go about truing my rim with out a truing tool? and what method to use
    You'll need a properly sized spoke wrench, a fair amount of time, and a lot of patience (and many would recommend a tension gauge as well). Wheel truing (and building) is an art. I've done it myself with mixed results, but I find that it's usually easier to just bring it into the shop. My favorite local shop will true a wheel for a modest fee and have me back on the road in no time. Having them do it saves me a lot of time and frustration and also ensures that I'm riding on a properly trued and tensioned wheel. I'm a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to almost everything, but there are some things that I typically leave to the experts.

If you ran over a curb, your wheel might be worse than it looks. At the very least, it should probably be torn down and rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing. If you hit the curb fast enough, you could have put a flat spot in the rim itself, which likely means that it's toast.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I almost think that the thread title should be changed to "Anyone Into Cycling?" All of us have been all over the place over in the 400 posts this thread consists of. Myself and others have talked about MTBs, Dadx2mj and others have talked about cruisers, etc.

It's your thread, nathan8856; do you mind if I change the title?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-07-2014 at 07:21 PM.

YouTube vids taught me how to true a rim. It does take some practice but once you get the hang of it and understand the basic principal involved (I got that from YouTube) it is not that hard. Side to side variance is pretty easy if the rim is not rolling round in a vertical manner that is a LOT harder to work out. I will always fix side wobble myself for a vertical out of round I take it to the shop.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power