Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Brandonrcm's P4DE Build thread

I haven't posted a build thread anywhere since my rc crawler days years ago, figured it would be fun to post one for my stampede 4x4 I've had for a little over a year. About a week ago I figure I would rebuilt it and finally ditch the VXL-3s System all together. Just got back into rc after a 5 year hiatus around may of 2012 with a crawler then an MT4-G3 which disappointed me in many ways. Bought the Pede around September of 2012 and have been happy with it since. It was ran primarily on 2s until the summer of this year then 3s from then til now. I have MIP axles all the way around to start along with tini shafts and aluminum caps. Had trenchers on desperado's but i've stripped those multiple times now so I'm ditching them for 17mm.

Heres how it sat a few months ago when I had installed a few new parts.. and dyed the chassis

Parts I had ordered when I did that (+Proline slash 4x4 body post kit)

Move on 3 months I have the car stripped down awaiting parts

Got some Traxxas aluminum rear carriers from dollarhobbyz

All installed

Then earlier today I got a few more add ons including Losi 2800kv 4 Pole motor, MIP 17mm Adapters, and RPM stablemaxx 3.2 revolvers.

I'll install it all after work tomorrow and get some pictures up, I already got the trencher tires off the stripped out desperado wheels I had from before and trimmed beads. I get paid thursday and plan on ordering a whole bunch of parts for it as I am tapped out right now (Darn bi-weekly pay) I'll Update with the parts list going into it tomorrow.

Currently it has on it
    MIPS All around
    MIP 17mm Adapters
    Trencher 2.8s
    Rpm Stablemaxx revolver 3.2s
    Losi blue springs
    Aluminum shock caps
    RPM front bumper
    Proline slash body mounts
    Losi 2800kv 4 pole motor
    Dyed chassis
    Last edited by Brandonrcm; 10-22-2013 at 11:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    i am looking into the trenchers+revolvors but idk what to get... the normal or stable max? help please! my talons are gone and i hear 17mm is a great upgrade with the 2650 motor

RC Competitor
    I bought the stablemaxx offset part number #82302, that's what I have seen most people use but I have also seen one person use non stablemaxx offset. Personally I'd like any added width for stability.

Dude your build is looking sick and going for 1/2" offset is what I would do because it all helps the handling.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome looking build. Stamp4de is one of my favorite R/C trucks. So easy and simple to work on and can take a beating as well. Good luck and enjoy.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Competitor
    Thanks spenniepoos, Yeah the stampede 4x4 is so easily to work on and so simple thats one of the many reasons I love it. I just ordered a Hobbywing SC8-WP ESC and some tire glue. Tomorrow or friday I'll be purchasing a decent amount of things from Amainhobbies.

I did some work last night and tonight on installing the parts I already recieved, and trimming down the old vxl mounting holes and trimming the 3.2 rims. Heres some pictures

MIP 17mm Adapters all installed!

Close up picture

Losi motor in there looking SICK! (I trimmed the post down nice with a dremel later after I took this pic)

I haven't glued any of the tires yet because I plan on taping them still and I'm waiting on glue, but heres one on the tire after trimming.

RC Competitor
    great choice on the esc bro! i love my sc8 <3 lol

RC Competitor
    also, would you recommend the trenchers? my talons are still OKAYYYY, but are the trenchers just like way better, or should i wait till my talons die to get them?

RC Competitor
    The trenchers have a crazy amount of traction compared to the talons, I like them ALOT better then the talons, but at the time I upgraded to the trenchers it was because I needed the talons to put on a Slash MT I was building at the time. No regrets with the trenchers probably put 50 battery packs through them and loved every moment of it.

Yeah dude my trenchers are still going after 10 months of abuse on all terrains..........peace

RC Competitor
    Welp, Just got paid and already spent my limit for the next 2 weeks lol! With the SC8 Purchased, this stuff from amain I got nearly everything I planned for this build.

Total build list so far
    MIP Axles all around
    MIP 17mm Adapters
    Kingzhead Motor Mount
    RPM Stablemaxx 3.2 Revolvers
    RPM Front Bumper
    Proline 2.8 Trenchers
    Losi blue springs all around
    Traxxas Aluminum Rear Axle Carriers
    Traxxas aluminum shock caps
    Traxxas Tini shafts all around
    Traxxas Battery Expansion
    Traxxas Clear Gear Cover
    Axial 5mm 17t Pinion
    Traxxas 52t Spur
    Losi 2800kv Motor
    Hobbywing Sc8 ESC
    J Concepts 2011 Ford F250 Superduty Body
    3s batteries

That's a sweet upgrade list so far dude and I bet you cant wait to take it out for a heavy bash session .......peace

RC Competitor
    You got it dead on, I can't wait to drive this thing transformed. I've been driving my slash platinum lcg for the past month and haven't touched the stampede and missing my monster truck action! I'm figuring all the parts should be in and on in about a week of time then bash session next weekend

Edit : Just checked my tracking, getting a few pieces tonight including my ESC! Expect an update later tonight.

My MIP rear coupling pin have been put together this morning so I cant wait to go bashing tomorrow it took only 9 days for my stuff to get here from the US .......peace

RC Competitor
    Just got my sc8 esc in and other things but no update tonight.. So aggrivated trying to figure out what I'm gunna do.. Just hit into a car accident and the other dude had a no name insurance company. Heres a pic for the car people

RC Competitor
    oh wow! are you okay? that sucks...

RC Competitor
    Yes I'm ok, thanks for asking waya7. The other person was fine too. Pretty sure my trucks going to be considered totalled kinda sucks loved that vehicle but thats life for ya.

RC Qualifier
    Dude, that sucks about your full size truck. At least your Ok. Your build is coming along well. I too have a Hobbywing SC8 120amp ESC. It works flawlessly. I have the Program Box, which makes adjusting the setting very simple. Enjoy it!!!!
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Competitor
    I loved that truck and its sad to say it will probably get totalled off. I made an ESC mount today for the sc8, I didn't like the way the the stock SC8-WP mount would work with the over sized motor so I scrapped that idea and got to work. I cut the main piece of a stampede/slash 2wd rear chassis brace then cut it down and countersunk the servo screws as a mount for it. Nice and sturdy, haven't decided if I will bolt the ESC to it or just double sided tape it. Heres a pic, tires will be mounted tomorrow..

RC Competitor
    I got my tires taped and mounted today. Only gorilla tape the store had was camo which was even better even though it wont be seen haha.

I had mounted them at first on my slash 4x4 just to drive on them for a little bit and make sure they wouldnt come un done, did a bit on 2s then 3s. No ballooning at all.

Here they are mounted on the stampede 4x4 while im waiting for the other parts and traxxas connectors to arrive.

After not glueing tires in about 5 years I truely forgot how much I HATE glueing them, my fingers have some CA on them still oh wel..

I am glad you are ok and just remember that you can replace your truck but not yourself dudeAnd the pede is looking better everytime you post..........peace

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    remember that you can replace your truck but not yourself...
    +1 lol! your truck is looking so awesome! keep it up

RC Competitor
    Yeah true that. I stare at the pede everyday waiting for the parts so I can post an update and well to drive it! The parts are in my city just says no delivery til friday! A family member lent me a car to drive to get around while the insurance company messes around trying to figure out what to do with my vehicle. I tell ya after driving an SUV or trucks for the past years it feels weird being low to the ground. Hopefully update soon guys.

RC Competitor
    well it looks like i will be joining you on the revolver+trencher! my talons are striped out lol

buy your truck back, get it totaled out, and use the $ to get some new doors.... salvage title all the way....... it's not bad, I've done it

the p4de looks awesome, getting ideas for mine

^^^ That's some sweet advice dude and try and make the most out of a bad situation ..........peace

RC Competitor
    I've thought about doing that. Eitherway if its the right price I'm buying the truck back to resell for parts. The B pillar and rocker panel is damaged pretty bad along with bent tie rod and a few other things. Most likely I will be looking for an actual pickup of the same body style and could use some of the parts from this on that then sell it the damaged truck

RC Competitor
    Well got home from work with a nice package waiting for me! Lets unbox this now... Here we go

First I got my wheelie bar back together, I had broken the holes through the part that mounts to the rear end... Then I installed the BEEFY Dubro 1 3/4 Wheels.

Next I opened up the KINGZHEAD motor mount, my plastic one was fine somehow still but I decided this was a needed upgrade, the quality on it is amazing and I'm glad I bought this one over a cheaper aluminum one.

Then I pulled my old 52 spur off and installed a new 54t spur and traxxas aluminum slipper pads!.

Then I mounted the kingzhead, put the 17t pinion on the motor, replaced the driveshaft cover and put on a new clear gear cover

At this time I put the rear end back on and it was rolling!

Got out my SC8-WP ESC and shortened the wires then soldered up the bullets and TRX connector

I got it mounted in there and all hooked up ready to go, but I still needed to program it, and set the gear mesh.

Well max of 10 pics so continued to next post.

RC Competitor
    Heres a picture of everything together with my current c10 body which I still use.

I don't think I ever showed this but I went back to the stock body mounts and ditched the proline screw cap design. I cut the posts down to nearly nothing left to get it low as possible.

I got the J conceptz 2011 f250 Superduty cut out and drilled the holes, Not sure what Im going to do with paint so far, I think I might just paint it solid black like a murdered out look.

Lastly I added the SC8-WP box to the rest of my box collection from my past 14 months or so

I'm basicly finished with this truck for now, few more things planned just haven't ordered them yet trying to spend the least amount of money possible til I get another vehicle. I finished programming the ESC but its dark out now and raining. Still took it for a short test run to make sure it worked properly, was on 2s though none of my 3s were charged. Was pulling rolling wheelies at half throttle on 2s Can't wait to try a 3s if its not raining tomorrow.

RC Competitor
    i did the body post thing to and it worked OKAY, but it was to rough on my body so i gave in and got #3727a x2 then i needed washers so i cut the plastic part in fourths. then i drilled holes in all of um and used them as washers . . .! talk about cheap >.> but i like them all lot better your p4de is so beast! nice body too!

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-02-2013 at 08:39 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    When you guys trim the bead of a 2.8 to fit a 3.2, how do you do it? Very carefully with an xacto knife? A dremel?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    I did the thing about a year ago with the 3727a but I didn't like it and removed it about 6 months ago. I like the built on washer on the stock mounts when I cut them down and I still have it at the same height as using the 3727a.

When I trimmed the beads on the trencher 2.8s I followed the line (theres a line on the tire which is the normal 2.8 traxxas bead) with a pair of scissors, wont come out perfect but comes out good enough to glue with no problem. On the wheel itsself I cut most off with a pair of scissors actually (bad idea its tough and hurt my hand after doing all 4 wheels) then smoothed it out with a bench grinder and a dremel on with the sanding attachment.

RC Competitor
    this is a dumb question, but do you have to trim both sides of the tires? i CANT WAIT for my trenchers

RC Competitor
    also both sides of the wheels?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    If a 2.8 with a standard (non Traxxas style) bead is used, is any modification necessary?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    Any tire is going to need to be trimmed down to fit properly on the 3.2 revolver. Yes both sides of the rim and tire too. Its a long process just to get 17mm hexes

Dude your truck looks so sick and the spraying the new shell black will set it off..............peace

RC Competitor
    Didn't pick up paint today like I planned. Did a test drive around 6am on 3s ran nice and cool on the street didn't even get hot but I need to get longer screws for the wheeliebar wheels as one fell off on me already. Hopefully I can take it for a full run tomorrow and see how I like it.

RC Competitor
    how are those trenchers holding up on-road? i am gonna glue mine up and get some paint for a body tomorrow and i was wondering if 50%grass/mud/dirt and 50%road is okay for the trenchers?

RC Competitor
    Honestly I mainly run on road and I love them there too, still A LOT more traction then the talons. I run onroad in front of my house going on and off the grass and off a ramp onto the grass with them mainly unless I can get out to a park or a construction site which isn't too often. They will last ALONG time just like the stock tires.