RC Enthusiast

Engine compatibility

Hey guys I'm still fairly new to the rc world. I'm looking at different engines for my nitro rustler. Will the engines built with tmaxx bolt pattern fit? Some of the engines I have looked at have been discontinued( picco red dot ,o.s. 18tm) so what will fit. I will give up the ez start if need be. I put some huge tires on it so I need the power to run them. I have a 3.3 in it but I'm not impressed. I have the stock pipe on it that's for the 2.5. How much will it help to upgrade the pipe?

RC Qualifier
    Any small block should fit the stock mount. The os 18 seems to be a pretty good option, there are a few running it. If you are still running the plastic pipe for the 2.5, an upgrade to a better pipe will help your 3.3 alot. What size tires are you running? What gearing are you running? if you went to way taller tires, you will need to gear down to make up for the change. Like if you were running a 20t clutch bell with stock tires, go to like a 18t clutch bell. That will give you more bottom end back.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

Try a performance pipe and a high flow air filter, retune and I think you will be very surprised at the performance of the 3.3... They do make a huge difference over the plastic pipe and the older styled black housing airfilter with the screen on the face of it.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    I run a OS 18 The model for the RC10GT. If you go this route the buy the new Era motor mounts they are worth the money. I chose the rotary carb because my truck started as a Nitro Sport. I did have to shave a bit of the transmission case to fit it in.

RC Competitor
    I have a dynamite .19t traxxas direct bolt on replacement,, so far so good with 1 gallon in it.. holds a great tune! paid 120$ Canadian.. decent for the price for sure.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the Info guys. I will for sure be getting a new pipe. I just upgraded to pro line trenchers so I will put an 18 tooth clutch bell on. I've got a 20/72 set up right now. For the high flow do I just order a tmaxx kit? I'm guessing it will snap right onto the carb. I will look up those engines and see what looks good.

RC Enthusiast
    Also would a 16 tooth clutch bell be too much? Or is the 18 going to be plenty. And isit very hard to do a rear exhaust like a t maxx. From what j can see its just the header and the pipe and mounting the pipe hanger. It looks like I have the room to do a rear but not sure without having the parts yet

RC Enthusiast
    Did the traxxas air filter fit or do you need a seperate boot to go on the carb? Also does the exhaust bolt up or is it a spring mounted.

RC Qualifier
    Thinking a 16 bell is too small. May not have enough adjustment in motor mount.

From my fuel tank
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC poster
    Is the 3.3 just as easy as dropping it in the Rustler? Or are there any mods that have to be done?

RC Enthusiast
    Its dropped right in. The cooling head was too tall for the body so I got a nitro stampede body. I still had to take a dremel to it to make everything fit. I loved mine right up untill I blew it up. If you out one in I would suggest moving the battery box up front or putting weights on the front. After putting the high flow filter on per nitronaughts advice it had a hard time not pulling a wheelie. The week before it blew I was hanging with my friends slash vxl with lipos. Made me a happy camper..

I think its the one with the IPS shaft if you're keeping the easy start.
    Last edited by Double G; 10-07-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    cool, thanks for the info waffle. I'm bouncing around the idea about putting one in, my buddy and I have a nice dirt oval we race on, and he has a Slayer Pro 4x4...surprisingly we are very even with my rustler having the 2.5 still in it. Probably a weight thing, but I had just gotten a rollcage for it, and I'm sending it back...adds a good bit of weight and a cross member lays right on top of the cooling head.

RC Enthusiast
    With my experience you will love it. I couldn't come close to keeping up with my friends slash vxl. ......until I dropped that 3.3 in. I also put proline trenchers on it. Gave it a little more clearance and traction. It rolls a little easier though. I put my old 2.5 in. Just isn't the same

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrofool View Post
    Thinking a 16 bell is too small. May not have enough adjustment in motor mount.

From my fuel tank

Ya I got this 18 adjusted and there isn't much room left for adjustment.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I got my 3.3 rebuilt finally. I used a Davis diesel connecting rod as it claims to be heavy duty. Are they really worth the extra money or did I just get suckered.