Thread: STRC layshaft?

RC Enthusiast

STRC layshaft?

So I bluw out the stock pin and I have the trans open on the work bench, my question is is the strc layshaft pin any stronger or just replace it with the stock shaft ?
    it wont let me post a list of my trucks here....

RC Qualifier
    It's stronger but I believe the strc layshaft is a associated slipper conversion layshaft. I made the change over to strc and love it.

Last edited by geeves; 10-20-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    My wife hates it but I love It.

Quote Originally Posted by geeves View Post
    It's stronger but I believe the strc layshaft is a associated slipper conversion layshaft. I made the change over to strc and love it.
    As far as I know geeves is correct, I have changed over my traxxas transmissions to associated slippers with the strc lay shaft but am unaware of a stock replacement for the metric spurs.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh yes i kno. I can get an *associated slipper I just wanted to know if any one had broke the strc pin
    it wont let me post a list of my trucks here....

RC Qualifier
    I have not the only thing you need to watch for is for some it requires an extra shim on the layshaft to keep the pin from leaving the slot on the trans gear.
    My wife hates it but I love It.

I have this conversion done on my Slash and Rustler and love it. The only thing I noticed was that it slipped a little too much for my liking even at 1/4 turn from snug. What I did to fix it was I took the metal friction hubs and sanded off the anodizing on the friction pad side. Works perfect after that. I think now I'm running about 1/2 to 3/4 turns out from snug.

Avid RC also has a Triad clutch that would probably fit as well.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 10-20-2013 at 11:27 PM.

RC poster
    I ran with my strc layshaft for awhile on 2s, loved it. I now run 3s and broke the pin, also it would strip the AE spur gears quite often.

RC Champion
    Maybe someone could help me out...what kind of nut goes on the strc shaft? Is it metric?

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Maybe someone could help me out...what kind of nut goes on the strc shaft? Is it metric?
    Its the same as the stock slash, the only thing different is is the machine work for the slipper.

Wait a minute that might be incorrect, I wont be around my truck tonight but if you haven't received a correct answer I take a look in the morning.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 11-05-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    Hmmm. Mines using a smaller nut, weird. Thanks for the quick reply, but I was under the impression that a stock slipper shaft used a 4mm nut and a 4mm nut dwarfs the strc threads

RC Champion
    No sweat man. I believe it's a 1/8 shaft / 5-40. The 3mm locknuts are close, but not quite it. Hopefully the strc shaft threads are harder than the nut I just tried to put on there. I can't believe between strc and the avid slipper, neither company would provide a slipper nut. There's not a standard screw or nut on a TRAXXAS, thanks STRC, lol. No heads up on the thread change either.

RC Champion
    Sorry to blow up in this thread, guys, lol. I was one nut away from having my gearbox build finished and ended up using a zip tie to hold the triad slipper in place while I found the nut. Losa6302 is a losi parts bag that includes 4 of the 5-40 lock nuts.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Its the same nut as the associated slipper uses... Not sure the size.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    It's an odd size that's not at homedepot and it calls for a 1/4 inch wrench. I almost bought a v2 slipper on ebay, which probably would have come with the nut, but Avid's claim of being light in comparison swayed that decision.