RC Competitor

2nd full merv rebuild - input appreciated

Ok guys, I've been lurking around this forum for too long now, time to share my own.

Bought a stock merv down under, had fun for a while, then slowly upgraded some broken parts. First full rebuild was two months ago, now I've just finished the 2nd.

- Neu 1110/1y
    - MMP ESC
    - 2S / 3S lipos, mostly black power, but just bought some SPC's
    - HR bulkheads
    - HR diff (gone in 2nd rebuild), back to stock
    - center diff
    - HR heavy duty axles (gone in 2nd rebuild), changed to traxxas steel
    - steel cvd
    - dual hitec 85mg servos (gone in 2nd rebuild), back to single 8085mg
    - HR shock rebuilder from stock
    - GPM a arms
    - t bone bumper kit
    - gpm titanium rods

What do you think? I built this setup for high speed on road racing, not for bashing, though it still gets to see plenty of that too ;-)

Pics will be added later, not sure how to do that from an iPad.

RC Competitor
    Not sure who really cares, but since I promised some pics of this build, here they are...

p.s. Boca bearings yellow seal has been added - yey!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I bet that thing rips!

Glad to see RPM arms instead of GPM...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Does the HR shock rebuilder's leake?

RC Competitor
    How do you keep the front down without a wheelie bar? Do you have the punch on the esc adjusted?

RC Racer
    nice e revo i took the tbone racing brace off mine because i hated how it looked
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Competitor
    Hey, 1badrz28. Center diff. If you punch the throttle with a center diff installed, it will give most of the power to the front and result in keeping the back down. Anyway, I think that the setup is pretty good. There must be some extra weight on there, too.
    Just wondering, how well do the hr shocks work?
    Last edited by lando calrician; 11-08-2013 at 11:21 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by lando calrician View Post
    Hey, 1badrz28. Center diff. If you punch the throttle with a center diff installed, it will give most of the power to the front and result in keeping the back down. Anyway, I think that the setup is pretty good. There must be some extra weight on there, too.
    I have a center diff with 32-45 gearing and punching the throttle at 45 mph it will carry the Summit wheels right off the ground and flip backwards. I had to modify the upper wheelie bar mount to lower the wheels about 1/2 off the ground to prevent a rollover at those speeds. Even with my IPhone on the front for speed mapping, it lifted the front before the wheelie mod was done. And an I phone isn't that lite IMO.

RC Qualifier
    would really like to see some video of this MERV going flat out

RC Qualifier
    Nice build, I just suggest that you replace GPM rod-ends with Traxxas ones. GPM`s break like glass, especially with NEU power. Trust me, been there .....

RC poster
    I as run a lighter fluid in the center diff and it will decrease your wheelies and deff help with your accel im runnin a center diff with stock fluid in the front and rear and 50 in the center on 3s and runnin nimh in series wont pull off the ground

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I bet that thing rips!

Glad to see RPM arms instead of GPM...
    Woops, RPM A arms for sure. And yes, it rips. Love it on 2S, scared of it ar 3S unless surface is flat and big :-)

Right now I am contemplating a smaller engine (Neu 1105 for example) and see where else I can save weight. Even considering building a custom motor mount plate, and lowering the engine "into" the frame. That would limit my options to a single battery, but it would improve COG and therefore handling. I love high speed cornering on tarmac with this build :-)

Quote Originally Posted by l_park View Post
    Does the HR shock rebuilder's leake?
    Very little, which was probably excess oil that was supposed to be leaking out. When I opened them up for refills/maintenance/limiters they were still filled up nicely and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by 1badrz28 View Post
    How do you keep the front down without a wheelie bar? Do you have the punch on the esc adjusted?
    Center diff, slipper clutch and control over your throttle finger.

Quote Originally Posted by lando calrician View Post
    I was running GPM shocks before and I really liked them. However, they started leaking pretty bad, so I wanted to try something else. These HR shocks seem to be holding up just fine so far, though I have to admit I didn't bash with them much yet.

The extra weight is sometimes added in the front with a 9V battery, powering the LED lights in the body. I am under the impressing this improves handling.

Quote Originally Posted by mtc777 View Post
    Nice build, I just suggest that you replace GPM rod-ends with Traxxas ones. GPM`s break like glass, especially with NEU power. Trust me, been there .....
    Thanks for the input. I have considered this, infact, I have considered not just replacing the ends, but the rods itself too, since the traxxas ones are much lighter. I do think having a weak link is a good thing, since it prevents more expensive stuff from breaking. I mainly do high speed cornering with this setup, so I don't break much. The weakest part at the moment is the steering system. The link between the bellcrank and servo arm keeps breaking. With a stronger link, the bellcrank itself has snapped a few times now, which made me buy an HR bellcrank which I am not too happy about, so went back to stock. Any input here? It's a pain in the thingymagick to (un)screw the Tbone skid plate on/off.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    nice e revo i took the tbone racing brace off mine because i hated how it looked
    The main reason for me to remove it would be to save weight. However, it has saved me from expensive damage more then once, so for me it is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster slash215 View Post
    I as run a lighter fluid in the center diff and it will decrease your wheelies and deff help with your accel im runnin a center diff with stock fluid in the front and rear and 50 in the center on 3s and runnin nimh in series wont pull off the ground
    30/100/30 here - perfect for my setup.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-12-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: post merge

RC Champion
    My hr shocks are great! After a full racing season they are still mostly full.

lipo power!!!!!
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjeerdkramer View Post
    Center diff, slipper clutch and control over your throttle finger.
    Once lowering the wheelie bar down, I can get a little more aggressive. before it took 3/4 of a city block easing into the throttle to get it to stay down. Since that problem is solved now, it's time to purchase a radar gun for more accuracy in speeds.

RC Qualifier
    Cool MERV!

RC Qualifier
    Hey, man! Great looking merv.
    Being in Neu land, how is those tires? They wear fast or not wear at all?

And you mention Yellow Ceramic Boca Bearings... i just need to know what you think about them?

I have all those stuff you got in diferent rc's... just need one more input to see...

And baterys, can you post a pic of them? Do you run 3s often? or just do 2s all day long?

Not sure who really cares, but since I promised some pics of this build, here they are...

p.s. Boca bearings yellow seal has been added - yey!

Last edited by targetingxmod; 11-13-2013 at 12:02 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post
    Hey, man! Great looking merv.
    Being in Neu land, how is those tires? They wear fast or not wear at all?
    Yes they wear, but it depends on your driving style :-) It's my second set of Dirt Hawgs, but the first set is still ok (mounted on my sons Merv now).

And you mention Yellow Ceramic Boca Bearings... i just need to know what you think about them?

I have all those stuff you got in diferent rc's... just need one more input to see...
    In all honesty, it's quite a bit of money. The main reason I bought them was to build something that is as maintenance free as possible. I wouldn't purchase them for performance increase, though they do spin more freely then stock or cheap replacements. The second reason I bought them is because I ran out of other upgrade options :P

And baterys, can you post a pic of them? Do you run 3s often? or just do 2s all day long?
    2S is good fun if you have limited space, but I run 3S whenever I can. I run the following batteries in my car:

- Black Magic 1400 11.1v 3S 30C LiPo Pack
    - Black Magic 2200 7.4v 2S 30C LiPo Pack
    - SPC LiPo Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 1500mAh, 30C, 3S, 11.1V Soft-Case
    - SPC LiPo Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 2500mAh, 50C, 2S, 7.4V Soft-Case

(If you need images, use Google images with the above strings)

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I never heard of that Black Magic Lipo brand. But i see now. Modelsport uk sells them!

For the Yellow Boca ceramic, why did you not go with the ACER? Just because the lifetime maintenance of the BOCA?
    Let me know.

I have the Yellow ceramic boca on other RC, and the freedom of spin is radical compared to the normal bearings! I noticed a lot more life from outdrives

RC Competitor
    Thanks! I never heard of that Black Magic Lipo brand. But i see now. Modelsport uk sells them!
    Bought the 2S from a LHS in Melbourne, AU. Bought the 3S online in the Netherlands. They feel very "punchy" to me, so I like them, and they fit nicely. The only reason I bought SPC is because they came recommended, but I dont think they perform much better then the Black Magic ones, which have had close to a 100 charges (the 2S).

For the Yellow Boca ceramic, why did you not go with the ACER? Just because the lifetime maintenance of the BOCA?
    Let me know.
    I have considered Acer, but I felt like getting the best at the time. Not saying I made the best decision money could buy, but I am happy with the Boca bearings. I did ring a local bearing manufacturer to see if they could make me something instead, but they suggested to buy Boca, as they consider them the best value for money and couldn't compete.
    Last edited by Tjeerdkramer; 11-15-2013 at 02:39 AM.

RC Competitor
    Even considering building a custom motor mount plate, and lowering the engine "into" the frame. That would limit my options to a single battery, but it would improve COG and therefore handling. I love high speed cornering on tarmac with this build :-)
    Finally done it:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...engine-finally!