RC Qualifier

Thrust bearings?

I can kind of guess what a thrust bearing is but what is one from the bone stock setup for V2 Spartan? I need one that can last in saltwater... What sizes? What brand? And why!?
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    It saves the bearings in the motor from faling.... Like mine did. I am going to order one forom kintec racing. Not sure wat size though.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, that's the trouble-I just don't know what size?

RC Racer
    To understand the why, you have to think about what is really pushing the boat hull through the water. That's obviously the prop, and the prop is connected to the flex shaft, flex shaft is connected to the motor. The motor rotor is essentially the main thing pushing the boat through the water.

The motor has radial bearings to allow the rotor to spin freely. Radial bearings can take an axial load though that shortens the lifespan, wiki on bearing load.

Thrust bearings are designed to take large axial loads. Think turn tables of any size.

The thrust bearing will transfer the load onto the front motor plate and relieve the radial bearings of the axial load.

What I've used was a Boca 5x12x4.93mm.
    I haven't had to replace it. Saltwater is going to be kind of a problem. You have to think of it like the flex shaft at that point. They're not sealed at all, at the very least you are going to have to put some oil on it at the end of the day.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Geo! I gathered that the thrust bearing took some load from the thrust word. Do you have a picture installed? I don't know how to install it... I am a pretty new to the Rc boats.

RC Racer

You need to space it to the collet. I had a few tamiya bushings(5x11x4mm total 8mm width). It needs to be "meshed" a little bit so you're not loading the motor weird. A piece of paper somewhere to make a gap should work.