RC poster

Need support of spur gear.

My 72 tooth metal spur gear got loose, so the slipper was slipping. I tried to tighten it and the shaft would just free spin. I went to my LHS and bought a plastic one. managed to tighten it made about 4 runs and it got eaten by the clutch bell. tried to put the metal one back it but the 12 little pegs wont fit in the metal one. can I throw it back on w/o them or should I try and get a plastic one again? Is there a trick to get the spur to tighten all the way? every time I try the shaft just free spins am I doing something wrong?

RC Enthusiast
    you can hold the brake while you tighten the gear, also if your plastic ones keep getting eaten check the position of your motor if its not close enough to the spur gear by even a little it will strip. i wouldnt recomend using a metal spur gear because you need a weak point in your transmission. i personally rather the spur gear be the weak point as there easy to change and only cost 3 $. also the little pegs dont matter.

RC poster
    I will throw another plastic one on. I tried holding the brake, still spins you have to tighten the nut tight enough before you can hold the break. I am trying to figure out how to get it to that point. Should I put an allen wrench inside the tranny gear where you adjust the shift point to lock it so I can tighten the spur gear nut? this seems like the only way I can think of.

When assembled correctly, all you should have to do is apply pressure against the spur toward the transmission while tightening the nut.
    If you lock the tranny with a wrench you can cause damage to the gears.
    Yes, you need the friction pegs in the spur or you’ll be back to square 1 (filling all 12 holes is recommended)
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply Snook much appreciated.