RC Enthusiast

Smile A new member of the Summit club ;)

Hello, everybody!

My name is Volen, from Bulgaria, and I just bought my first Traxxas vehicle, and it is the mighty Summit! And I'm absolutely loving it!

I took the red one, which I found very attractive, especially under direct sunlight! The ProGraphics body is just awesome.

The Summit is stock for now, just changed the plugs between the motor and ESC with 3.5mm bullet connectors and mounted the roof lights kit.

Today I made the first testdrive and I have to say - that thing is a BEAST! With dual Gens Ace 6500mAh 50C LiPo's I got about 2 hours of runtime nonstop driving with 50:50 high and low gear!

Here some photos (I will post photos in the Gallery too):

Best regards!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Awesome Dude! I have the red one too. I think It's the best looking shell. LiPo's are the way to go. In my opinion, the other most important upgrade is double orange springs in the rear. The part number for the double orange springs is #5649. You've probably noticed this is a pretty active forum with answers to all your questions and concerns. I love this forum! Are you going to take her up into the mountains and bring your camera?

Welcome Nedrabod!
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks!!!

I'm aware of the rear springs issue, so today I ordered double orange springs, and I will replace the rear springs as soon as the package arrives.
    As for the forum - it's awesome, and I've read nearly all the Summit threads long before buying the beast. And yes, we have a beautiful mountain side here in Sofia, so I'll definitely take her up into the rocky mountain

One more thing - I noticed that the transmission gears are not lubed out of the factory (at least not the plastic ones). So I lubed them with light grease and the result is quite impressive - now the tranny is way more quiet and more protected against wear. And I also found that the spur/slipper shaft of the transmission has a bit of back and forth play, so I just put a thin 5mm shim on the back of the shaft, and now there isn't a play at all - much better!

Regards!!!
    Last edited by nedrabod; 10-19-2013 at 12:11 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    As I promised to Deviate - I took the Summit to the place it belongs - the mountain side! And what a great crawling machine the Summit is!!! I'm more than impressed with this beast! Here are some photos from today:

And with my friend's Summit LT:

Regards!!!

Now it looks happy.In its natural environment

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Hi there!

Since I own the truck for nearly 2 weeks now, I noticed that plugging/unplugging the roof lights' cable every time I'm taking the body off, is quite an annoying thing... So, I found a very smart solution for this (got the idea somewhere on the net).

I soldered the power cables for the roof lights to 2 shims, which I placed on the top of the rear body post tower:

The cables from the shims go down the tower and to the rear lights' JST connector:

And we're 50% done...

Now for the body part:
    I just glued another two thin shims on the inside of the body. They aren't perfectly centered in order to make better contact with the chassis's shims:

Well, it's not the cleanest work I've ever done, but it's hidden anyway

And now, the moment of truth!
    Will the system work, after placing the body clips?

Yes! Let the light shine in!

Regards!!!
    Last edited by nedrabod; 10-31-2013 at 05:39 PM.

RC Champion
    Wow I would say that is a good job on the lights.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot! It's quite convenient now - you put the body on, and the lights start shining!

You can thank noir 522 from this forum for that.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Absolutely! Just didn't remember the name, but he is genius for that! Thanks, buddy!

The next thing will be mounting an external BEC, as LCM94 suggested in this post:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5559813
    I will post photos when it's done.

Really appreciate your help, guys!
    Last edited by nedrabod; 10-31-2013 at 07:35 PM.

RC Champion

AWW shucks guys, you got me blushin'
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Welcome to the forums dude! I joined today. I have a summit sitting unopened in my basement, but I can't open it until Christmas. So excited! I love those pics, looks like you're having a great time with your summit! If you think that you're in a good location for it, think again buddy, I live on the rock of Gibraltar! Anyway, I will be posting some pics when I get mine out and about, but until then... Enjoy the Summit!

GibraltarSummit, aged 13
    What can I do to... I mean WITH my Summit now?...

RC Enthusiast
    Just mounted the external BEC today. The device itself is a 5A 8-40V switching BEC. So far it works great with the stock equipment and I hope the packs at the end will have equal voltage. I put the BEC in a black heatshrink tube to make it waterproof and for a cleaner vision.
    I also wrapped the cables between the motor and the esc, and really liked the result. Here are the pics:

Regards!!!
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 11-04-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Content

It's sooooo clean......lol
    That won't last,it never does.
    Nice clean look.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    It's sooooo clean......lol
    That won't last,it never does.
    Nice clean look.

Sent using lipo power
    Yeah, just several hours after the photos were taken, the Summit was so covered with mud, that I couldn't tell where the motor or the ESC is Then I cleaned it, and just now it looks like on the photos

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrabod View Post
    Yeah, just several hours after the photos were taken, the Summit was so covered with mud, that I couldn't tell where the motor or the ESC is Then I cleaned it, and just now it looks like on the photos
    How do you clean it so well so fast?:-)

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    The fastest and most effective way - put the muddy truck in the bath and shower it until all the dirt comes off. Then I spray it with a mix of water and liqiud soap and brush it with a large soft paint brush. Then wait for 5-10 mins for it to soak and wash it up with clean water. And here is the most important part - the drying process! I use a proffesional hair-dryer and blow it for a good 15 to 20 mins. So far using this method - a perfectly clean truck, and no rust or corrosion at all. Regards!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrabod View Post
    The fastest and most effective way - put the muddy truck in the bath and shower it until all the dirt comes off. Then I spray it with a mix of water and liqiud soap and brush it with a large soft paint brush. Then wait for 5-10 mins for it to soak and wash it up with clean water. And here is the most important part - the drying process! I use a proffesional hair-dryer and blow it for a good 15 to 20 mins. So far using this method - a perfectly clean truck, and no rust or corrosion at all. Regards!!!
    So do you leave the truck all together and submerge on water. Or take it apart?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Just taking the electronics (motor and esc) and wheels off and give it a shower. It's safe, as long as you dry it really carefully and not leave it wet. It's also a good idea to spray a little bit of WD40 on the screw heads and on the bearings. So far - no problems at all!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Don't even need to remove the motor and ESC... those are waterproof.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

I use the hose outside to clean it off.Then compresser to blow the excess water off(I like the blow dryer I have done that as well) and then I use a silicone based spray

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Just finished the mud guards mod, and I'm very happy with the result! I used the templates for E-Revo/Revo 3.3.
    It's very important what material will be used for the guards. A stiff rubber or piece of lexan is what I read to be a good choice, but I had one big sheet of the same material, that is used on the steering wheel of RC transmitters. It's fairly strong, waterproof and is very easy to clean it with mix of water and soap.

So, I cut the two pieces according the template:

The 3 holes for the zip ties are also on the template, but I found that the middle one is not on the right place, so I had to change it a bit.

Next - attaching to the upper rear arms with zip ties:

And finally - the result. All being done in no more than 10 minutes, the result really satisfied me:

If the material I used fails to proove its reliability, I'll use some stiff rubber next time

Regards!