Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Enthusiast
    I dont know that I would run one that low, SLW-SVT. Stock shocks and drifter tires on it, the bottom plate is only about 1/8" off the bench. And I dont even have a battery or electrics mounted in it yet. Dont let my picturesw deceive you. The purple wheels are relatively large HPI Super RS4 (2.2 wheels). They work great for setting up buggies that normally use 2.2" wheels as well.

Another issue I see is the stock shocks allow the rockers to go so far back they could pass the point were the shocks 2 eyes and the rocker pivot align. Potentially allowing it to flip past that point.

My suggestion would be to run the 55m shocks, so the shocks and rockers are at the correct geometry. Then adjust the ride height using a shorter pushrod.

well a little "parts bin engineering" led me to purchase some Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec upgrade Big Bore shocks (P/N 2658). I'll post up some installed pics when they show up. From comments I've read on them, they're about 55mm. Seems some people out there prefer them to the cheap blingy ones. They also include a shorter set of shafts. I'll play with those a little and see what lengths they come up with.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-09-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: merge
    Do not think outside the box, redesign the box

RC Enthusiast
    This conversion looks interesting i would love to see the full conversion i wouldnt mind doing this as well!

RC Enthusiast
    Well the shocks showed up in the mail today. I also picked up a Hitec HS-7775MG servo for steering duties.

Hope to have some build time soon.

RC Enthusiast
    Well the 4-Tec shocks are too long. With the short shaft installed they're 57mm eye to eye, long shafts = 60mm. The short shafts put the suspension under tension when it's topped out. The other problem is the bodies are too long for the application. Compressed length is 50mm with either shaft. This doesn't allow for the suspension to fully compress. Did some measuring and the shocks really need to be 54-55mm long extended, 45mm compressed.

So long story short, I ordered some of the Losi JRX-S shocks like my buddies. They seemed to fit really well. I'll post up pics of measured lengths, suspension measurements, etc, when I get back into it.

In the meantime I'll get a little off topic. I finished up my other Traxxas rig.
    Traxxas Bandit 2wd
    first gen slipper (lighter rotating mass) and Robinson Racing Stealth series spur.
    3250 sensored brushless system. With the gears, this buggy rolls almost as quiet as the other big name buggies on the track, and it's incredibly smooth!
    Everything RPM makes for these is installed, other than all Traxxas camber and toe links.
    Proline wheels with Proline's new Z3 Carpet compound tires. If anyone is interested in these, let me tell you THEY STICK LIKE VELCRO!!!!!! I actually had a spool in it previously. With these tires installed, I barely had any steering unless I was on the throttle hard. So swapped a gear diff back into it with some heavy grease in it. Hoping to see how well that works tomorrow night.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Any updates?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry, no, not recently. I've been doing a major remodel of my hobby room. This project is currently sitting in a box in storage. Hoping to get back to it soon.