RC poster

Question How long will my marine deep cycle battery last when using it to run my charger?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

I'm going on a camping trip this weekend to a place with no electrical hookups.
    I want to charge my R/C batteries while I am there.

I have a fully charged, fairly new size 24 marine deep cycle battery.
    It says "80 Amp hours @ 20 hours" on the side.
    I have a Hi-Tec x4 AC Plus charger.
    I have a pair of 5800mAh 2-cell Traxxas LiPo batteries.

Roughly how many charge cycles should I be able to do before my deep cycle battery is no longer able to run the charger?

I do have a generator available if needed, but am curious how much I'll need it.

Thanks in advance..

RC Champion
    Don't know but if your using the generator for power when camping you could get a cheap trickle charger and charge the battery over night. The number of charges would be based on amps drawn to charge batteries and how long. I am too stupid to do that math.

RC poster
    I am camping with a generator, and math is not my strong suit. My charger can trickle, wouldn't trust a LiPo to a dumb charger.
    I could recharge my dedicated charging battery (12v deep cycle) but was just looking for an idea. I guess I'll find out!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You have 80,000mAh in your deep cycle.
    You have 5,800mAh packs.... but lets round that up aggressively to 7,000mAh for charger inefficiencies and such.

80,000 / 7,000 = 11.42
    You should be able to charge it up 10 times easily without depleting the battery.

Also... keep an eye on your deep cycle voltage. When it gets low, fire up your generator or even your vehicle and hook your charger to that and charge up that deep cycle. I know my charger as a low threshold I can set it to and it will tell me when the supply voltage hits any point I tell it in order to prevent the charger from killing a car battery enough so that it won't start.

Disclaimer:
    I have been up for more than 24 hours... plus see my signature.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 10-18-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    WOW you go Jimmie. You make my brain hurt trying to figure that out. There ain't much up there so that's pretty easy.

RC poster
    Thank you!

My charger does have a low input voltage cutoff, so it won't destroy the deep cycle battery.
    Also, since it is a deep cycle, it is capable of being depleted without damage like starting batteries do.

But hey, I'm going to run out of weekend long before I run out of charging cycles because we're also riding ATVs and stuff.