RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar

New to me (sorta) villain IV

Bought a villain in excellent shape a few years ago for 100$. Never used it or powered it up and threw it in a closet.

Just dug er out. I need help fidiggerrin' it out.

And all these spare parts.

It's all there, as far as I know.

How much voltage can the ESC handle? I have very few NiMH packs in good shape left, and no pairs. Can it run off of a 3s or 4s pack you think? It was designed for 14.4 volts.

Is trim adjustable?

Anything I need to check?

I'm assuming I need to shoot a little grease in the grease fittings behind the motors, and float her for a few minutes while I watch for leaks at any thru-hull fittings.

What sort of speed should I expect from this ol' girl?

Also, the little bung (or whatever you call it) in the cap that is threaded and looks like it accepts an antenna is there, but I have nothing to screw into it. Will I need to do something about that, or invest in a 2.4ghz system for it?
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 10-14-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    It's all there, as far as I know.
    You're missing the antenna and possibly a deck wing nut, but it otherwise looks like it's all there from what I can see.

How much voltage can the ESC handle? I have very few NiMH packs in good shape left, and no pairs. Can it run off of a 3s or 4s pack you think? It was designed for 14.4 volts.
    It definitely wasn't designed for 14.4 volts. Stick with 7.2 volts or less. The Villain IV uses Traxxas Stinger motors (6 volt motors). The ESC is also known to get very hot. I also wouldn't recommend running more than 3000ish mAh. Anything more will really tax that system.

The batteries are wired in parallel, so you can run one or two battery packs. Running two will double your run time, but I strongly advise against running two packs if you're running modern cells. Back in the day, two 1500mAh packs were fine. If you run two high-capacity packs, you will definitely smoke the motors and the ESC.

Is trim adjustable?
    Yes, the surface drives have adjustable trim. You simply loosen the large bolt and nut near the top of the drives, adjust them to the desired level, and tighten them back up. Getting to the bolts is a bit of a pain, though.

Anything I need to check?
    I would probably rebuild the boat before you try to run it since it has been sitting for so long. Pull the drive shafts, check the bushings (I'd recommend replacing them all, as it will only cost a few bucks), lube the motor bushings, double check the gear mesh, replace the old Tamiya battery connectors, properly range test the radio system, do a float test, check the seal around the upper and lower pieces of the hull, etc.

I'm assuming I need to shoot a little grease in the grease fittings behind the motors, and float her for a few minutes while I watch for leaks at any thru-hull fittings.
    The float test is a great idea, but don't use grease for the drive shafts. You want to use a lightweight oil (Traxxas recommended 30wt silicone shock oil). You can use a piece of fuel/water cooling tubing to oil the drive shafts. Connect the tubing to the drive shaft nipples and then connect the other end to your oil bottle. Make sure to turn the props by hand while oiling the shafts to make sure that the oil gets where it needs to go.

What sort of speed should I expect from this ol' girl?
    On 7.2 volts, somewhere in the mid to upper teens.

Also, the little bung (or whatever you call it) in the cap that is threaded and looks like it accepts an antenna is there, but I have nothing to screw into it. Will I need to do something about that, or invest in a 2.4ghz system for it?
    The part number for the whip antenna is 1530. You should be able to find one pretty easily for a couple of bucks.

Another thing to note is that you've got the older style motor mounts. That version should have a reinforcement plate, but it still didn't work very well. When the motors get hot, they cause the plastic motor mounts to flex; when those flex, gears get stripped. The more recent IVs (in addition to the EX and the 7.2v Villains) had a single aluminum motor plate; I would HIGHLY recommend installing one when you're in the process of rebuilding the boat.

Happy boating,

-cooleo
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-15-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Thanks! I thought it was wired for series, which is why I assumed it was for 14.4 volt operation. Glad I posted before giving it a whirl!

Why does more mah tax the system more? I've always thought more voltage creates more heat, mah just gives me run time?

Would a waterproof evx and titans work in this boat?

Thanks for the advice and information!

RC Qualifier
    Very nice Villain! Hope you enjoy it and stay away from the Salt water!
    PM for info.....

Thanks! I thought it was wired for series, which is why I assumed it was for 14.4 volt operation. Glad I posted before giving it a whirl!

Why does more mah tax the system more? I've always thought more voltage creates more heat, mah just gives me run time?

Would a waterproof evx and titans work in this boat?

Thanks for the advice and information!
    Higher capacity battery packs lead to longer run time. Longer run time leads to more heat. Increasing the voltage would also lead to more heat.

If it were me, I'd try to find a Marine EVX-2 (it will have a marine profile with no brakes and 25% reverse and it also has water cooling, though I don't believe that it's waterproof) and Marine Titans. I suppose that you could use the land EVX-2, but some people have reported that you can't water cool that version of the ESC.

Since one of the motors will be running in reversed rotation, it is important to have motors with neutral timing (the Marine Titans are). Another option for motors would be running the Titans out of the Revo; that vehicle has one standard rotation motor and one reversed rotation motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Very nice Villain! Hope you enjoy it and stay away from the Salt water!
    While running the boat in salt water is hard on it, proper after run procedures should keep it functioning properly (flush the cooling system, wash the boat, keep the screws clean, lubricate and clean the motors regularly, keep the drive shafts lubed, etc.).
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-15-2013 at 03:03 PM.

I'm nowhere near salt water. I will get this up and going, and, if I use it plenty and enjoy it, I'll plan to search for a marine evx and revo titans.

I figured that was the case with higher capacity batteries. Just gives me an opportunity to run longer and create more heat. If I run higher cap packs I'll try to keep runs to 10 min or so. Any time I'm outunning it I'll probably also be kayaking/fishing/hiking.

I don't imagine it would be difficult to just be sure I bought marine titans if I upgrade. I have several old emaxx titans lying around though :/.

RC Qualifier
    Lucky you with the fresh water then! I would recommend the Marine Evx2, I have not had any problems with it. I have only used it about ten times though. I have one of the motors(Marine Titan 550's) that is dying.
    PM for info.....

Looks like I could buy a smaller faster boat for what the evx2 seems to be going for, though.

What about the land EVX-2? At least then it will be waterproof.

I thought about it! But I'm afraid it will run hot all closed up with no water cooling?

Maybe I can find one cheap enough to take a chance!

RC Qualifier
    I would say sometimes the money is worth it... It's up to you and the checkbook, I am now being forced to sell my Villain Ex, I think I will fake sell it to a buddy than store it in my storage unit. I hate parents! Sorry, back to your IV... Speaking from a Traxxas only person I would get it, there are other options out there. You could take a loom at the Castle Creations hydra section, not the 240A but something around 80A.
    PM for info.....

Will they power two motors?

At any rate, I'm going to perform some maintenance, lube it up, check it out, get an antenna, and try it out as it sits with this motor and ESC. If it leaves something to be desired I'll look at my other options.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 10-17-2013 at 09:04 AM.

But I'm afraid it will run hot all closed up with no water cooling?
    Try looking back in this sub-forum a bit. I'm fairly certain there was a member or two in the past running the standard EVX-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    I am now being forced to sell my Villain Ex, I think I will fake sell it to a buddy than store it in my storage unit. I hate parents!
    You have to respect your parents, bud. While you're under their roof, you should abide by their rules. Disrespecting them isn't usually the best route to go.

At any rate, I'm going to perform some maintenance, lube it up, check it out, get an antenna, and try it out as it sits with this motor and ESC. If it leaves something to be desired I'll look at my other options.
    That sounds like an excellent plan. While it won't be lightning fast, it's still a fun boat to drive (handles beautifully).

Happy boating,

-cooleo

If it runs upper teens and doesn't melt anything, that should do. I wakeboard at 20 and start newbies out around 15. 15-20 should do okay, at least for a while!

Should I look into adding water cooling?

Should I look into adding water cooling?
    Definitely.