RC Champion

Question shocks for racing? gtr's or big boars

hey guys with doing the conversion from my pede to the slash i will itleast need some new shock evetualy

so in the futur what would be a better option of shock to get out of the 2 the traxxas big boars or the traxxas gtr's?

i am leaning to the gtr's with dollarhobbyz pricing and also i have a couple vdp kits for the shocks but the big thing is the springs..traxxas support sais that the softest 4x4 spring is to stiff for the 2wd...then there is losi spring's wich i think fit the gtr's.... but i dont know

thank you guys for your recomendations and help
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

I run big bores and power strokes.
    My newest slash has GTR's but I haven't tried them thus far.
    but from a visual point of view I would go with the GTR's, they look like they will do a great job and I've heard good things as well.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    i have the GTRs on my truck havent found any good springs for it still looking hard to fit a spring to it when they wont open the package at the LHS ... Jato springs fit nice but are to stiff but are not long enough for the rear shocks
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    i have the GTRs on my truck havent found any good springs for it still looking hard to fit a spring to it when they wont open the package at the LHS ... Jato springs fit nice but are to stiff but are not long enough for the rear shocks
    Do they seem like a good or superior shock from your experience so far?
    They came stock on a platinum I bought for my grandsons xmas gift and I dont know if I should just leave them on it or put the stock shocks from my Rally on.
    This grandson has never had an rc and wont be racing, just bashing.

RC Qualifier
    they are so so .. like i said hard to get a spring for it when you cant open the packages the ones i did get for the rear are to big had to take pliers to the top and bottom of spring to close it up some . the shock caps are plastic i haven't found any aluminum one for them yet

RC Qualifier
    5427 traxxas springs might work for the front they are off a nitro jato

@ skye you can use virtually any 1/10th scale off road spring on just about any 1/10th scale off road shock all you have to do is use a spring cup and retainer that match the spring.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    the GTR shock is larger in diameter then the big bores and the regular shocks that come on the slash so they do not fit

Hum the GTR's may be a game changer then. If they are so big around the springs wont fit over the body changing the cups and retainers wont help.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    when i get it i will share because this is becoming a PROJECT for springs i like the shock just dont like the part of buying bags and bags of springs

RC Qualifier
    look at the pic you can see at the bottom of the spring where i made it smaller to fit and these springs are from hpi i think im not happy with them and when yuo go to traxxas page to buy springs for the shock most are sold out

RC Qualifier
    @Dadx i just tried it the stock big bore springs fit inside the jato spring that fits the shock

RC Racer
    What really makes the GTR or the Big Bore perform better? Looking them both over I see the Big Bore is aluminum and possibly has a higher oil capacity, I see the GTR has higher oil capacity as well and stronger shafts. I doubt a slash heats up the shock oil enough to benefit from the added capacity, it seems the stronger shafts are the only real upgrade here.

What am I missing?

RC Champion
    price point the gtr's on dollar hobbyz are about 56 bucks compaired to new big boars for about 80..<possibly i will have to look
    the gtr's have a higher oil capacity i dont remember what it does for preformance.and they look better.

now i could just upgrade the stock ultra's but they need to be retired ....nothing like pooring out black shock oil....

------------------------
    hey guys are the .623 rate gtr springs to stiff for the slash?
    Last edited by reod12x2; 10-17-2013 at 06:52 AM.

RC Champion
    awww cant do a edit...

but i did find some dirt on the gtr's the springs are confirmed by diggerpede to be inter changeable with the losi ten-t springs
    ...will have to do my searching later

---------------------
    did a little search..front 4 pack for the ten-ts is 3.6,3.9,4.2,4.5
    still dont know what the rates mean
    Last edited by reod12x2; 10-17-2013 at 08:09 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The rates determine how stiff the spring is. So a 3.5 spring would take 3.5 pounds to compress it. I'm not sure if the same thing applies to Rc springs, but on 1:1 cars you measure how stiff the spring is by how many pounds it takes to compress the spring 1 inch.

RC Champion
    okay...so the gtr's with the losi springs and i would be good for racing?

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    okay...so the gtr's with the losi springs and i would be good for racing?
    Sounds like it, mine came on the truck with springs installed so I'll give them a try.
    Skye would probably be a better one to ask tho.

RC Champion
    I had posted this in Skye's thread a while back. Since the losi springs for the front are a good amount longer than the GTR front shocks, I remove the preload collars and use the shock cap as the stop. It's worked out really well so far.

RC Qualifier
    yea but by doing that you just took out the reason to have them adjust i looking to have them so i can use the truck on changing tracks with just a few turns

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    I had posted this in Skye's thread a while back. Since the losi springs for the front are a good amount longer than the GTR front shocks, I remove the preload collars and use the shock cap as the stop. It's worked out really well so far.

RC Racer
    In all honesty is this a waste of cash? You can tune a stock shock to perform the same way any of these fancy shocks perform, at the end of the day it comes down to valving and oil viscosity. The only benefit I see is the stronger shafts on the GTR which are available for the stock shocks right? It seems better to just get the upgraded shafts and keep the stock shocks.

I'm not in as deep as most of you with the RC scene but I don't see a real benefit to adding oil capacity or adding aluminum shock bodies. Aluminum caps seem to be more prone to leak, but stronger than plastic, seems to be a pick your poison choice.

RC Qualifier
    All of my stocker shaft bent one by one after I upgraded to the castle 3800. Then I bought the replacement stocks and proceeded to bend them the next time out. Finally bought the big bores they come with aluminum caps, and haven't had a problem since no leaking no popped off caps. They've been great sofar.
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Qualifier
    If you look at it that way this whole hobby is a waste of money. The gtrs look nicer, are stronger, and might be built better. When your changing shock oil in 2.5wt increments to dial in a set up and your o rings start sticking to the shock shaft, it can be frustrating! Finding a shock that preforms and holds up isn't easy. Waste of money? Imo, no.

Btw, oaks your rustler is pure eye candy, nicest I've ever seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

In all honesty is this a waste of cash? You can tune a stock shock to perform the same way any of these fancy shocks perform, at the end of the day it comes down to valving and oil viscosity.
    To a large degree this is true, perhaps not 100% but valid none the less.
    95% of the upgrades in this hobby are imo mind mods, the do more for our egos then improving the trucks overall performance.
    Shocks however imo may be one of the upgrades that can really help the trucks performance but even this can be debated.
    I love the pro-line power strokes and run them on near all my trucks, but for out and out performance imo losi makes some of the best rc shocks on the market.
    Maybe I should be asking myself why I run the power strokes, mid mods,

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Building Boost View Post
    If you look at it that way this whole hobby is a waste of money. The gtrs look nicer, are stronger, and might be built better.
    That's a little exaggerated to say the whole hobby is a waste. My point is why dump $50 on shocks that look cool when they don't offer any advantage over the stock shocks other than a stronger shaft? On my real truck (some would call it a 1:1 ) I run a 2.5" diameter shock with external reservoirs so that the oil doesn't heat up and begin cavitation when I drive off road in the desert. That extreme abuse doesn't really happen in an RC car because the thing weighs 5lbs. By design the shock on an RC doesn't have nearly as many passages for the oil to pass through and the shock piston doesn't create heat through friction/pressure like a real (1:1) shock does. The benefit of added oil capacity isn't reaped with an RC car.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    To a large degree this is true, perhaps not 100% but valid none the less.
    95% of the upgrades in this hobby are imo mind mods, the do more for our egos then improving the trucks overall performance.
    Shocks however imo may be one of the upgrades that can really help the trucks performance but even this can be debated.
    Billy, as usual you hit the nail on the head. I think the real benefit is the placebo effect, since they look cooler, cost more, and aren't stock they must perform better right?
    I have a feeling there is another factor in play here, I noticed that when I got my slash right out of the box the shocks weren't damping much. At first I attributed this to the overly squishy progressive springs, but when I went to swap springs I noticed my shocks had no rebound at all. After I swapped oil with higher viscosity and properly filled them, they worked significantly better and now the shafts rebound when I compress them.

I'm not trying to stir up an argument, but hoping that members see things for what they are and put money where it's beneficial. I think before anybody spends money on new shocks they should consider upgrading shafts, experimenting with oil viscosity and valving first since it's so easy and cheap.
    Besides, keeping stock shocks gets around those pesky race requirements right? Sleeper.

I'm not trying to stir up an argument, but hoping that members see things for what they are and put money where it's beneficial. I think before anybody spends money on new shocks they should consider upgrading shafts, experimenting with oil viscosity and valving first since it's so easy and cheap.
    This is oh so true, the traxxas big bore shock is an aluminum clone of the the stock ultras with preinstalled TiN coated hardened shafts, while not really capable imo to produce a better handling truck the shafts are indeed stronger and have a extremely fluent slide action, paired with aluminum caps a definite upgrade but again not a performance changer.
    While I enjoy a lot of the bling, mind, and placebo mods I'm fully aware this is what they are.
    Imo one of the best upgrades you can give the 2wd slash which will indeed improve the trucks all around capabilities is a lcg chassis, another is motor and esc improvements.
    The other 98% do the eyes a world of good.
    In the words of Dr. I."When you start to worry about how a race truck looks your not racing anymore"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerToy View Post
    That's a little exaggerated to say the whole hobby is a waste.

I think the real benefit is the placebo effect, since they look cooler, cost more, and aren't stock they must perform better right?
    I never said the hobby was a waste, i just think when you say shocks are a waste of money for a racing rc, then what is really not a waste of money? If everyone just ran what they had then wheres the competition in that?

I don't see where the "placebo effect" comes into play when trying to improve a race vehicle. Your lap times are either lower/more consistent or they're not. Id like to try a shock with a larger shock body, not because its "cool lookin" but because i run much heavier truck than any other 2wd sct out there and to clear some jumps i have to hit them Wide open and then risk bottoming out if i don't land perfect. Wouldn't a larger piston moving thru more oil cushion the big landings while still being soft enough to soak up the smaller bumps? They way i have my power strokes tuned is great everywhere except the big doubles. If new shocks allowed me to land smoothly from the big stuff and still kept the same feel around the rest of the track, id be set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

They way i have my power strokes tuned is great everywhere except the big doubles.
    Have you ever considered 2 stage pistons, this may help your tuning situation.
    Their very inexpensive and may be just what the doctor ordered.

http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Prod...FaY7MgodUw8A3A

RC Qualifier
    Will these fit the powerstroke shock bodies? Dual rate dampening would be awesome but I wonder how good they really work. I just feel like if these pistons worked as good as advertised I would have come across someone using them by now. Anyone on here try them before? If so please let us know how effective they are.

Will these fit the powerstroke shock bodies? Dual rate dampening would be awesome but I wonder how good they really work. I just feel like if these pistons worked as good as advertised I would have come across someone using them by now. Anyone on here try them before? If so please let us know how effective they are.

I have never used them only know of people who do and swear by them.
    They are made to fit the stock ultras and with a little light sanding will fit big bores as well, and if I'm not mistaken(you should double check) the power strokes are the same diameter, at least the stock traxxas springs will fit the p,s and p,s springs will fit ultras tho more research is in order.
    And dont forget, if their someones secret weapon wold they tell you,lol.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 10-19-2013 at 02:00 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Ill have to look more into the id of the powerstrokes compared to the ultras. I didn't mean someone at the track having them and telling me, just the web in general. ill post up anything I find that helps my truck run better. if someone copies my set up and wins a race in another state, I'm glad I could help. I can't see people keeping secrets about what pistons their rc shocks use.

I can't see people keeping secrets about what pistons their rc shocks use
    I wouldn't have thought so either but I have run into fellas who want to keep their shock oil weight secret.
    I just like having fun but some of the folks really want to win.
    I remember wondering why pro-line and some others put paint dots on their springs instead of painting it as a hole, I was surprised to find that is was to keep others from knowing their set up.
    Some are just more competitive of others.
    I enjoy the fun part of the hobby and building the trucks more then anything else, but my grandson and son-in-law really like to bring home the big trophys.

RC Racer
    Id like to try a shock with a larger shock body, not because its "cool lookin" but because i run much heavier truck than any other 2wd sct out there and to clear some jumps i have to hit them Wide open and then risk bottoming out if i don't land perfect. Wouldn't a larger piston moving thru more oil cushion the big landings while still being soft enough to soak up the smaller bumps?
    Not at all, the ability to take hard impacts is tuned by the valving and fluid viscosity in these shocks, not by diameter of the piston and cylinder. While it would make sense to think that a larger diameter piston has more surface area and so is pushing against more oil, the valve opening and shock oil control actual movement. If you are bottoming out you need thicker fluid, smaller valving or stiffer springs, not a larger diameter shock. The only benefit to a larger diameter shock is added fluid capacity to dissipate heat more efficiently, our shocks don't get hot enough to see that benefit.

If you look into real off road racing trucks, say the Stadium Super Truck Series, they race on a large variety of tracks. Some have huge jumps, some don't, some are street tracks and some are dirt. Those trucks don't use a bigger diameter shock if they plan to race at a track with a 70' jump where they'll be 20' in the air (like they were at LA Coliseum), they just tune the valves and run a heavier spring.

The cool thing about tuning these little shocks is that valve changing is as easy as swapping the disc from three hole, to two hole, or one hole. If the valving doesn't get you where you need to be, change oils. Real shocks (1:1) have way more going on to control damping.

RC Qualifier
    Well thanks for clearing that up for me, ya learn something new everyday. I guess I'm just going to stick with the set up I'm running and work on landing those big doubles just right. A little more practice is what I need, not new shocks.

RC Racer
    Right on, glad to help. I'm more accustomed to my real truck than my Slash but same principles apply.

Experiment with what you have. I run 45 weight oil up front and 60 weight in the rear shocks, single hole valve discs all around. I also run Traxxas black springs in the rear because they were the stiffest I could find at my local shop. I think I can find better springs but the set up as is takes impacts pretty well. Total cost for that was $6 and change for the two bottles of shock oil, $4 for rear springs and valve discs came with my truck. I'll be on the look out for stronger shafts now, the improved damping gave me a little too much confidence and I bent my shock shafts going banzai. I was launching it across a friends front yard to answer some taunts... damage always starts with "watch this!"
    El que se rie, de sus maldades se acuersa.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the compliment, Building Boost. Making the Rustler track worthy has been a fun hobby phase for me. I just mounted some ions in preparation for the indoor season. They have proved themselves to be the 'it' tire right now at our local indoor track. I've got them mounted on black de racing Trinidad wheels and they look and feel awesome.

Killertoy makes some good points. I will say that I've run a few different shocks and got to learn a decent amount about each over time. My best reasons to justify the cost of the GTR shocks are simply about construction. Yeah, they're a larger diameter/high volume shock but its more than just extra oil capacity.

The shock piston is held on with a nut - ive had the stock e clips let go before in stock shocks and big bores and that was a lame experience. The bladders are worlds better and more durable in the gtr's than the ones that come in the stock shocks. The shocks themselves are beefy aluminum, but the caps are still plastic. And they have pivot balls in them for 100% bind free movement. The caps also have the bleeder holes in them so oils changes can be completed in a snap. For those that do not know, the GTR shocks have a hole in the caps. This hole lines up right where the shock body and bladder meet. It lets air bubbles escape from the shock, where as your stock shocks require waiting until all of the air bubbles rise to the top and then capping it during oil changes. Saves time, allows for on the spot/on the fly tuning. Finally, the lower shock rods ends look to be indestructable, also. Add in the threaded bodies and the fact that I can get a sweet spring set from losi, I'm sold oh yeah, don't forget the large diameter shock shafts that are tini coated and the fact that the shock body lowers have screw on caps for easier shock rebuild sessions.

Skye, I never said you have to run without the front preload rings either. It's just what I choose to do. You can do whatever you want. Good luck on your spring search.

Reod, the GTR/losi spring combo is pretty potent. It's a decent amount invested, but worth it IMO.

Side note about these GTR's. every manufacturer does things just a little differently than the next. What I thought was interesting here was how TRAXXAS put differently valved pistons from front to rear. Most manufacturers, TRAXXAS included, will give you 4 shocks with identical pistons and usually different spring rates front to rear and a mediocre weight oil. The GTR shocks use larger diameter valves in the rear than the front, mediocre weight oil and a spring rate that is about the same from front to back. Most want a slightly softer shock in the rear and TRAXXAS did it with valving. I tweaked the system by run if 40wt out back, 37.5 up front and losi greens rated at 3.6 all the way around and very little preload front and rear.

One last thing, building boost, sure, there's no substitute for practice, but when it comes to landing jumps and moving on to the next set, a decent shock makes all the difference. Some shocks like to sky the truck and when it lands, it completely disorients the truck. One of the biggest improvements came just from swapping over to the losi springs. They helped me out tremendously with being able to maintain speed thru the jumping sections of the track. Especially when you've got sections like the 6 pack on the back stretch of our indoor track. Some of us are going double, triple, single tho

RC Qualifier
    Good to hear some feedback on the gtrs from someone who uses them to race and actully knows how to tune and drive. Not saying any one person doesnt, its just nice when you know the info you're getting is coming from a valid source. If the outdoor season wasn't wraping up for the winter I would try them out but for now ill stick with what I've got. There's always next year tho.

RC Racer
    Excellent info Oaks.
    So at the end of the day the GTR has a lot of nice features that offer improvement from a user friendly stand point, the large diameter shaft would be the draw that gets my attention. I just ordered the hardened shafts for my stock shocks, all this talk about shocks got me itchy to replace my bent shafts. If I bend a set of hardened ones I might look into the GTR set now that I know it's a thicker shaft.

On a side note, are the Power Stroke springs the same diameter as the stock Slash springs? If so I'm toying with the idea of using an extra spring retaining collar and getting the dual spring rate action for cheap.
    El que se rie, de sus maldades se acuersa.

RC Champion
    yup if your looking for a cheap deal on the gtr's. dollarhobbyz has a chop shop set for 50-60 bucks.beats 80+ for retail

but yes oaks.
    if the losi t springs are good to use for the slash 2wd then i will get the gtr's and spring set and go
    other then the losi t spring kit .is there eny other spring kits for the t's

thank you guys.

RC Champion
    hey guys found a set of gtr's for 12 bucks just need to know if the xo-1's gtr'ss are the same length as the ones that are on the slash 4x4

http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/servlet/...%284%29/Detail
    tra5460x?