RC Champion

Couple of questions

Hey gang, I am having a great time with my P4de. I am thinking about upgrading to the Tekno axle sets for the Protrac arms and also the big bone center driveshaft. I have read pretty decent reviews on these parts but would prefer some recent feedback if possible. I also wanted to find out if the TRX1952A would still work with the rear or will I need to look at something else due to the 6mm axles? As you can tell, I am trying to make this as bulletproof as possible. Thanks in advance for your advice/help. dc
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Qualifier
    Dont use the tekno axles but use the center driveshaft and like it. Its alot stiffer than stock. The rear output (which goes on the slipper shaft) doesnt slide thru the motor mount bearing. You need to take out motor and loosen grub screw on the output to remove the rear. A few more steps, but no biggie. Hardest part is to resetting the gear mesh.

Dont quote me on this but I am pretty sure that the bearings used for the tekno rear stub axles will not fit the trx1952x's.
    stock inner and outer bearings are 5x11x4, the teknos' use 10x15x4 inner and 6x12x4 outer

The fronts will just need the 6x12x4 swapped out for a 6x11x4 bearing {HPI102599} if you wanna use stock steering blocks or the TRX6837x
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Champion
    Are the axles no good?

RC Qualifier
    Tekno axles are the best IMO. No need for the aluminum rear carriers though. The Tenko carriers are plenty beefy, rear carriers rarely break and the Tekno carriers have way more setup options that any other carrier.

RC Qualifier
    The rear axle carriers will not work with the tekno oversized 6mm axel's. Tekno calls their rear carriers 'nearly indestructable' after recently dealing with tekno's customer support over two broken barrels that came out of my CVD's they replaced them free of charge. Calling it a manufacturing defect. All i did was email pictures, the next day I checked my email and had a tracking number and a very nice email from a guy named Thomas from Tekno informing me that my replacement parts were in the mail . If anything at all were to break because of a defect or even something maybe not so defective.. Im sure it would be replaced with very little hassle.... Im really impressed with their customer support the single time I have had to use it...Its funny because the part that broke is sold as their cvd rebuild kit. I already puchased one of these as they are only $5 but for them to then replace and ship it to me for free really says something. Anyway enough about that.

However the aluminum front steering blocks and c-hubs from the xo-1 will work with the tekno cvds as they also use a 6mm axle.

im sure its only a matter of time before someone makes an aluminum rear carrier set to fit the oversized 6mm axle's.
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 10-14-2013 at 10:35 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Alot of guys will reccomend MIP over Tekno. Or vice versa. I Personally have only ever run Tekno. and until i took my cvd's apart for maintenance I hadnt had a single problem. NOTHING was broken until i broke it. I tried to pop the barrel out of the Dogbone for cleaning and it broke. Probably would have kept on going for quite a long time had i left it alone.

But I just purchased a second set for my sl4sh. After all the horror stories i hear about people losing parts off their MIP's and pins falling out I went with Tekno, and I havent looked back. They hold up to 4S no problems at all. And the design is awesome. All the pins are captured in the bearings with no way to fall out. Since having to deal with their customer service all I can say they have earned a loyal customer. The 17mm adapters that Tekno makes for the M6 kit are the best adapters I have ever used hands down.
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 10-14-2013 at 11:46 PM.

I prefer Tekno because I like the design better (less rotating mass causing less stress on the diffs) and they were cheaper in my case. MIPs are fine too, but the grub screws should have been a pin in the original design. The keyed axles and hexes are a good part of the design.
    The difference is not huge tho.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    Very happy with my Tekno Drive shafts!
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Teknos will work great, as long as you don't use 1/8 scale monster tires(too much stress), or RPM arms(they flex too much). And you will want to check your suspension mounting locations after installing. Just check that the ends don't bind or come close to coming out of the cups. I use xo-1 aluminum front carriers and tekno rear. Also using the tekno 17mm adapters. I love that they come with their own stub axles and fit tight(no play).

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    I like the look of the Tekno's. I also like the fact that they are less rotating mass as stated above. I plan on running the Velineon system mostly on 2S and occasionally on 3S. I am running the Protrac arms with Powerstroke shocks. I will be getting either the Traxxas or Hot Racing sway bar kit also. What are the recommended shock mounting locations for these axles? I figure since I would be ordering the Protrac specific axles that the suspension compress and droop would be factored into the axles length. One day I plan on upgrading to a bigger esc/motor combo MMP/1415 possibly. Will these axles hold up?

RC Qualifier
    I don't have protrack arms, or powerstroke shocks, so the mounting positions may vary. On stock arms I use the second hole in from the outside on the arm, and middle hole up top both front and rear. I have thought about getting the protrack arms and I think they would give a greater range of motion without binding or popping out.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

You will be very happy with your teknos dudeMy mips failed me for the first time in over 2 years on the weekend and my parts should be here by my birthday fingers crossed and if it happens again I will get teknos..........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    You will be very happy with your teknos dudeMy mips failed me for the first time in over 2 years on the weekend and my parts should be here by my birthday fingers crossed and if it happens again I will get teknos..........peace
    What happened to your mips?

One of the rear coupling pins popped in half after 2 and 1/2 years and only cost a few bucks to put rightStill love my mips so much...........peace

RC Champion
    Well I didn't get as much as I wanted for my 2wd Traxxas parts. I had to skip the KHZ and Tekno at the moment. I did however pick up a bunch of smaller stuff. I will update the list when I receive everything. Also, for those interested, HopMeUp on Ebay is having an awesome sale on Traxxas parts.

Thanks for the info on hopmeup dude but their shipping prices to the uk are heavy.Plus looking forward to your new parts update dude...........peace

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsally97 View Post
    Well I didn't get as much as I wanted for my 2wd Traxxas parts. I had to skip the KHZ and Tekno at the moment. I did however pick up a bunch of smaller stuff. I will update the list when I receive everything. Also, for those interested, HopMeUp on Ebay is having an awesome sale on Traxxas parts.
    I can just talk about the Tekno shafts (front and rear) as I have no experience with MIPs. I got 2.8 Mashers on Ofna splits with stock VXL and 2s. The grip of the Mashers causes lots of stress: I broke several original stub axles in no time but that is no longer a concern since I got the Tekno set up. The truck took some really hard beating and nothing broke anymore so I can only recommend the shafts. They are solid and seem to be light. My experience with Tekno's customer service has been very positive. All questions were answered immediately by a gentleman called Thomas. He gave excellent advice. But ask the other guys about their experiences. I am sure they're able to help you- good luck and have fun.

RC Qualifier
    I had the same question some time ago. I got the MIP X-Duty and I am 100% happy with my purchase! You can also find them shipped on eBay for $50, which is a decent price considering it is $75 not shipped on MIPs website. They are AMAZING! I would recommend them to anyone! Probably one of the best purchases I've made for my RC!
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Champion
    As promised gang here are the pics of my new parts. They aren't anything special but I feel they will utimatley help in looks and functionality.

Nice haul of sick parts dude the traxxas motor mount is awesome at dissipating heat and looks sick too........peace

RC Champion
    spennie- Yeah, I agree with the looks of the TRX motor plate. With the slashed prices on HopMeUp it cost about the same as the STRC piece. I hope it will help dissipate heat better than the stock plate. I also hope the bigger slipper with the metal pads work better also. Not sure how much to back it off of fully tightened though. I am going with just over an 1/8 backed off and we will see from there. The sway bar install was very straight forward, I hope they will help keep the tires planted. I really hope to get the KHZ mount, Tekno center shaft, and either MIP or Tekno axles in the future. My driving time will be limited since we are getting closer to winter and I don't drive it when the temps are too cold or when it is wet or snowy out.

Yeah I have been using the aluminium motor mount for over a year and it does dissipate heat a lot better and the revo spec slipper just feels better at power feel and helps with heat as well dude............peace

RC Champion
    New parts installed. Here are the pics as promised.

Looking good dude have you tested the new parts out yet???.............peace

RC Champion
    Everything seems to be working good. The slipper is still an issue though. I have it assembled correctly and there still seems to be a rubbing sound coming from that area. I even Dremeled down some of the plastic around the slipper to make more room and I have rechecked the gear mesh also. Perhaps I haven't gotten totally used to the 32p gear noise. It just didn't seem as noisy with the stock spur setup.

Mines got a bit louder since the revo slipper and tenshock motor but its worth it .......peace

RC Champion
    It seems that I may have found the "noise" issue. I think the spur gear is worn down and causing a bad gear mesh. I am looking into the JConcepts silent speed spur as a replacement. Has anyone used these spurs?

RC Qualifier
    It seems that I may have found the "noise" issue. I think the spur gear is worn down and causing a bad gear mesh. I am looking into the JConcepts silent speed spur as a replacement. Has anyone used these spurs?
    I use the silent spur gear and like it. Its a bit more robust, being a machined piece. Not much quieter than stock though. One technique I use to quite the spur/pinion is to take an old toothbrush, put some of your favorite axle grease on it, then rub the grease into the brush by pushing the bristles into a clean towel. Now the bristles of the brush should be slightly coated. Then brush the teeth of the spur with the brush, getting just enough to make the plastic a bit shiny. I'm talking a very, very thin layer, almost as you smeared on the grease then try to wipe it clean and can't get it all off. Don't over do it cuz you don't want any grease on your slipper. I have used this method only a few times and it keeps the noise down quite a bit.

I here ya on the weather too. Winter is knocking, then everything will be wet, muddy, frozen and lots of road salt, all at the same time. The p4de will get a few more runs then torn down and cleaned then stored for winter. Going to start a scaler project this winter to keep me entertained.

RC Champion
    Well I got the spur installed and it sounds much better. I noticed that the grub screw for the pinion was very close on the old spur and I think that contributed to the premature failure.

RC Qualifier
    Well I got the spur installed and it sounds much better. I noticed that the grub screw for the pinion was very close on the old spur and I think that contributed to the premature failure.
    Poor design flaw. Why have the grub screw sit out so far? It should be recessed. The spur has a bit of back and forth movement, so you cant set you pinion with 100% of the teeth touching the spur gear without the grub screw hitting the spur. There is probably a shorter grub screw that could be used, just really haven't had the need to use one, yet.