RC Qualifier

Considering a boat...

I might be getting a spartan and was wondering is it worth it? Any immediate upgrades? Are there even that many upgrades? From what I can find on ebay there arnt all that many thanks

RC Qualifier
    There are some upgrades that you can do the most popular would be the dual pick up rudder. I have not seen the need for this upgrade. I run mine stock. Another popular upgrade is a metal prop. None of these are really necessary in my opinion. The best place to look for Spartan upgrades is here http://www.kintecracing.com/Spartan.html. This is where I got my parts. Hope this helps!
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier

Considering a boat...

The reason I ask is because I have the stampede 2wd vxl and the first thing to do I the castor blocks they are be far the weakest link on the truck I was wondering if there is anything like that on the spartan

Edit: what is a fair price for one?

RC Qualifier
    There's really not much to a Spartan. Some peoples stock cooling jacket for the motor leaks so a metal one might be necessary if yours leaks. The dual pickup rudder is also good... mainly because it's longer and gives you more control but it also helps with cooling. That's about it. A bigger shaft is a good upgrade too.

RC Qualifier
    First off if you get one you will enjoy it much better if water is less than 5 miles from you. The most popular upgrades would be Dual water pickup rudder form RCboatblitz or OSE. Backsplash guard from OSE, Secondary water outlet from OSE, motor jacket from OSE or Kintec, Trim tabss(either the Traxxas adjustables or the CNC versions from Kintec...Rcboatblitz has a fantastic Spartan selection, Many use after market power systems such as the SeaKing 180 and SPC or Maxamps lipos. If you upgrade the prop then check out wire drive or flex cable upgrades from http://www.rcraceboat.com/spartanupgrades.html. The stock cooling jaacket leaks and the Spartan is undercooled for 6S lipo, mine had issues on 4S but that was before cooling upgrades and it was in Texas heat. The Spartan does not like saltwater, mine shows it (not that I clean that good). If I have sywaed your choice to get one or not check out some videos on Youtube. In other words I would say get it if you live near water! i love mine and will never sell it! Make sure you get the second version because the first, well the first just didnt handle higher batteries and had a tendency to chine walk. If you don't mind drilling the Transom than check out the 5 inch rudders form Kintec/OSE.
    OSE=Offshorelectrics
    Kintec=Kintec Racing
    That being said you will like once you have one!

RC Qualifier
    Weather isn't a issue for me! I'm four blocks from Lake Michigan and every summer we go camping at the same campground for two months (weekends only) and the lake is seven miles long so it's not a problem getting to water! What is the fair price for it?

RC Qualifier
    Has anyone tried theirs in snow? I see people on YouTube have but I'm wondering if anyone has done it with a spartan

RC Qualifier
    I dont think it will work with a spartan.(snow) You need a cat style hull not a v. Also Ive seen spartans go for around 350-400 with lipos. If I can do it again I wouldnt buy a used one... Or a spartan... I love it but after getting it, learning its not the best for the money. Try doing some research on the aquacraft revolt 30. Or something in that list.
    P.s. Tower hobbies has a scratch and dent section. I picked up an atomik barbwire and aqua craft motley crew on sale in the scratch and dent section for $130 each (barbwire costs $150 and motley crew costs $300+) Best place to get a starter boat for a crazy good price. I bought My spartan used. not knowing as it was my first boat That it was full of rust inside the motor. I wouldnt buy a boat used again because its too easy to neglect them and then its rusty where it matters...

RC Qualifier
    I think the Spartan is worth every penny I paid for it. I got mine off ebay for $415.00 new.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post
    I think the Spartan is worth every penny I paid for it. I got mine off ebay for $415.00 new.
    Im not saying its not a good boat. I love it....After I put the kintec 5 in rudder on it especially. But after I paid for it I wasnt expecting to need to upgrade the cooling jacket, rudder, and flex shaft.....

RC Qualifier
    I run mine stock. No probs. Have you seen a significant decrease in the motor/esc heat since you installed the Kintec rudder?
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    Yes. And also turning at very low speeds in possible now. Im talking like less than 1 mph

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnewbie1234 View Post
    I might be getting a spartan and was wondering is it worth it? Any immediate upgrades? Are there even that many upgrades? From what I can find on ebay there arnt all that many thanks
    The new Traxxas Spartan with the Castle motor and ESC in my opinion is worth the $$$, as long as you can get a new one for around $400 give or take a few bucks. A used one is ok if you know the source to be reliable and honest.

I have purchased both a new and a used Traxxas Spartan and I have gotten my monies worth...

I have found the Traxxas Spartan to be the fastest RTR rc boat at over 50 mph out of the box.

There are many quality upgrades that can be done to a Spartan. It will perform well in it's stock form and provide a lot of enjoyment for young and old alike.

Is this your first rc boat? If so, what do you expect from an rc boat? The reason I ask is because like an rc car or truck they are each designed/built for a specific purpose and so are rc boats.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Can some one link me what they think Is a good deal? Preferably blue with one nimh and a second with lipo? The lipo needs a charger the nimh does not need but would prefer

RC Champion
    So you are looking for a used Traxxas Spartan?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    New, used I don't care but if its used I want to know the batts arnt bad, and the motor won't burn out in the first run and the hull isn't cracked

RC Qualifier
    I purchased mine used, spend your time and money wisely. I would try local classifieds so you can inspect it before you pay. Just my advise, batteries you would want to get new ones(after you learn how to use them properly if you don't know how).
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Christmas will be a year for me into this at all but I'm in a small town and my luck of that that is less than a needle in a hay stack

RC Qualifier
    Let me say a simple word,
    If you run the Spartan all stock up to 2s Lipo just upgrade the rubber jacket to metal due to a water leak when running WOT.
    If and if ever and you want to, you will run it to 6s lipo, start from the dual water pick-up due to heat problem,
    If your buying used and doing all the upgrades the money you spend is not worth it.
    Upgrading means doing the weak points, not doing the useless points.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    The dual pickup rudder is unnecessary. The new Castle electronics stay cool. I still run my Spartan on 6S batteries al the time with no problems.