Thread: Driveline help

RC poster

Driveline help

Hello guys,

Have a few questions regarding the driveline. I keep heating up the teflon liner ( a couple of them).
    Are any of you guys running the stock flex cable without the liner? Do you suggest another set up?
    Any suggestion, thoughts, links to older threads addressing my concerns or advice would be welcomed.
    When it's running it runs great but I can immediately tell when it starts to bind up by the attitude of the boat as it starts to lean to one side with torque roll. Torque roll is not an issue any other time. I've done alignments, adjustments and everything else and even went as far as replacing the strut drive, radio tray, brass tubing and the stuffing tube, along with a new flex cable..... second time out today on the new stuff and she started binding again, brought her to shore and could smell the teflon liner heating up. Removed the prop, pulled the flex cable and it was hot to the touch with steam coming off of it. .
    Seem to lose alot of grease while the boat is in motion. It the Traxxas grease sub par for application or should I start searching for an alternative lubrication?
    Thanks, apologize for the lengthy post.
    Last edited by radio uncontrol; 10-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    The general rule of thumb is to grease the flex cable after each run. I actually grease mine after every third run. I have run two complete summers with the original driveline using the Traxxas supplied grease. A binding flex cable would have no affect whatsoever in the attitude of your hull. The only thing a binding would cause is sluggish throttle response and lower top speed. Make sure you do not have a sharp bend or kink in the brass tube. Loosen the collet on the drive collar and you should be able to spin the prop very easily with your index finger. If you feel any resistance, you can now investigate the location of the binding.

Carmen

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply Carmen,

The binding is an issue even though I lube after each battery cycle...first liner bound up on flex cable, melted the liner and got wrapped up around the flex cable causing it to stop spinning which caused the ESC to fry. Working on second teflon liner now it's starting to show indications of the same thing happening. Thinking of going with larger flex cable and just eliminating the teflon liner all together. When it is well lubed there is no torque roll on this hull, but it doesn't seem to hold the grease long enough for a full battery cycle

RC Champion
    This is the grease I use on the flex shafts for my rc boats. It does not soften up as easily as the grease that comes with a Spartan, it still augers it's way out but I just make sure to clean and regrease after each set of batteries.

As stated above, with the collet loose from the flex shaft spin/turn the prop with your fingers and it should be free turning with no grabbing or catching. if you feel any binding at all, inspect your flex shaft closely.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    Thanks for the info orca44...got 2 of those coming my way!!!