RC Enthusiast

ESC let the smoke out.

Has anyone had this happen when their ESC fails?

RC poster
    Unfortunately yes...I had an ESC do that to all 3 connections and basically fried instantly, permanently staining the inside of the hull and hatch cover with smoke damage that cannot be removed..looked like you caught your problem early...mine Spartan was in the water when it decided to let loose.. waiting for a seaking 180 amp ESC to arrive for a replacement..
    Maybe contact Traxxas about your issue...they have generally been very decent with their customer service

RC Qualifier
    happened to me. Yours doesnt look that bad

RC Qualifier
    Hasn't happened to me, yet! I would start the MORE POWER process immediately! Yes let TRX know about the meltdown on the ESC, that has been one of the common problems with the new VXL-6S.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    I personally would not use that speed control again. Contact Traxxas support for assistance.

Extreme heat/current draw such as you have experienced only means there may be other damage to the ESC.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    This ESC is fried and unable to run again anyway. It died on the spot. If you look closely at the motor lead you will notice the connector from the ESC came out with the wire.

RC poster
    That one look nice... I've melted down the esc and poofed both lipo packs when I hit a rope earlier this summer ;-)

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I went ahead and got the replacement from Traxxas. It arrived today and before I installed it I blew into the cooling line to find it completely blocked. Now I get to wait another 2 weeks to get another one I guess. I'm glad I didn't run it first. I really enjoy this boat when it's running but I think the gremlins got a hold of it. So far the receiver, radio, and ESC have been replaced.

RC Qualifier
    You are having some bad luck with your electronics, I just placed a $400+ order for new batteries, RX/TX, charger, more cooling stuff, bilge pump(or clearing the lines after running.
    PM for info.....

RC Enthusiast
    I'm remaining patient but it's a bit frustrating at this point. I have a lot of Traxxas stuff in my garage and this is the first time I've had any real problems. Their customer support is great though. Next time the ESC goes I'll upgrade for sure.

RC Qualifier
    I hope it gets resolved for you! I will be sticking with Traxxas too, love the brand for more than it being expensive... I wouldnt even consider another RC brand. I am a Traxxas "fanboy" and will continue to be one as long as I have no problems, but when I do have a problem I hope the great service will be there for me and my "Professional Toys". Traxxas once, Traxxas twice, just buy it!
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Take a guess what just happened to my ESC?
    Hint: Sparks, fire, smoke, running....

Last edited by Spartanator; 11-05-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Took some pictures
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    good thing they have the rebranded hobbywing in the usa warehouse right now for wayyyy cheaper.
    I got it coupled with a rebranded leopard 1500kv 4082 motor for $35 shipped for the motor and like $80 for esc and $4 for program card hahhhhh.

Just got all my bullets soldered on.

RC Qualifier
    Just talked to TRX support, no luck. Seaking 180 here I come... What the heck is a BEC? I wanted to order another Castle/TRX ESC and hopefully solder the Castle Cap pack so this sown't happen again but I don;t want to try something modified that already blew up in smoke.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 11-06-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Why did you not have any luck with Traxxas? BEC stands for Battery Eliminator Circuit.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    Me "Hello, I have a Traxxas Spartan Gen2 and the ESC went up in smoke yesterday"
    TRX SPRT "Ok, we do not cover the product after 30 days"
    Me "Well thanks, guess I am going with a Seaking"
    TRX "No problem"

I guess he is not exactly the friendliest guy around town.....
    Should i even bother with another ring? They have not answered my email yet so....
    Well I called twice and this time got a bit more info:
    TRX: Hello, how are you doing today?
    ME: Hi, I am doing good"
    TRX: What can we do for ya today?"
    ME: I have a Traxxas Spartan gen2 and the ESC blew yesterday"
    TRX: How old is it?
    ME: Around 8 months
    TRX "Sorry, we only do 30 days"

Seriously having some mixed feelings about TRX at the moment.... They seem to lack expertise in the Motor/ESC area.... I guess every brand has it's faults. PowerDemon, I tried two different departments and got the same answer. Where is the fabulous Traxxas Support??????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????? I feel like someone gave me a hit to the stomach on this one. The other day I contemplated selling my Spartan before I put money into it. I wanted to do a fresh build and maybe I should of done it. I would feel bad about it happening to someone else though. I only came out $50 more expensive than the Box version.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 11-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    I would tell them that their ESC failed and I would like to send it in to be replaced. They might replace it under warranty. Its worth a shot.
    Powered by Castle.....

Perhaps you misunderstood. Our initial warranty is 30 days, followed by our lifetime replacement plan. Outside of 30 days, you may send it in for a discounted replacement. All of our reps are aware of that procedure, and recommend that program every chance we have to.
    Roll cages are RC training wheels

RC Qualifier
    Thanks 3_rolls, I am aware of the lifetime plan but only one rep mentioned it. I just may do it. The only thing I am worried about is that I will get an email saying that my model was ran in saltwater and I am not covered AT ALL. I am young and I have already put $1000 in the boat and I can't keep burning money for my love of Traxxas boating.... I have registered for the warranty and hopefully be sending it in. I was in no way ragging on Traxxas, I love them but just a little "disjointed" at this moment. Would I get a new motor and esc or a refurbished? Do I get a runaround about saltwater usage? 3_rolls please feel in no way that I am ragging on Traxxas, I love you guys. A Traxxas sticker is the only sticker that has made it onto my phone and laptop. I don't even keep the Windows sticker on it!
    PM for info.....

Traxxas Employee
    If you decide to take part of the Lifetime Replacement Plan, you will get new product. As for the saltwater, we do not recommend running "any" of our vehicles in saltwater. The saltwater is super-corrosive. If you decide to keep running in saltwater you need to plan on doing 2-3x the after run maintenance the typical fresh water guys do.

And you can use the Lifetime replacement plan no mater what you do to it.

An esc is gonna run you $80, a motor would be $70, and there is a onetime $5 shipping fee.
    slash 4x4 lcg, telluride(modded), TCP........and other things

RC Qualifier
    Thanks nixhex, seems like a lot of Traxxas employees are coming out of the woodwork and saying things now. It makes me feel better! Once I am done with all my schooling I want to actually work for you guys or fly helicopters. I have a neighbor that owns his own company and chopper so just maybe, just maybe the chopper pilot might work out. I understand the full effects from saltwater. I grew up on the salty ocean with boats and what not so I know what proper care is when it comes to salt water. I have scrubbed many engine compartments on many boats, it can get rough if they are not taken care of. I would run in fresh water but the bash tub isn't big enough!!!! PM sent to nixhex.
    PM for info.....

RC Enthusiast
    When mine let go I replaced it with the $80 deal. It's a pretty good deal but my ESC was only 3 months old.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FearSys RN View Post
    When mine let go I replaced it with the $80 deal. It's a pretty good deal but my ESC was only 3 months old.
    I slept on it and have to decided "wait for it, wait for it" Traxxas Esc and new motor. Some may disapprove of my decision but it's my decision. Yes I could get the $80 SK 180 deal, but then I have to buy the wiring, connectors(Castle 6.5 bullets), and ALL soldering materials. I find it would be much easier to just swap and esc and a motor that already has connectors. I will be having the Castle cap pack installed so hopefully it won't blow again. I have been talking with a TRX person and they talked me into it. I would say I have the Traxxas disease, my wallet may not like it but I do. I will be getting soldering equipment anyways because I should know how to do it(May take a few months to get it). I will also make my own discharge, and eventually upgrade the TRX ESC for 10 gauge. I like power, lots of power, only thing is that I like GAS power. Something that burbles is much better that a Prius sound... Will be contacting Traxxas today to set this in motion so I can have my stuff.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    I slept on it and have to decided "wait for it, wait for it" Traxxas Esc and new motor. Some may disapprove of my decision but it's my decision. Yes I could get the $80 SK 180 deal, but then I have to buy the wiring, connectors(Castle 6.5 bullets), and ALL soldering materials. I find it would be much easier to just swap and esc and a motor that already has connectors. I will be having the Castle cap pack installed so hopefully it won't blow again. I have been talking with a TRX person and they talked me into it. I would say I have the Traxxas disease, my wallet may not like it but I do. I will be getting soldering equipment anyways because I should know how to do it(May take a few months to get it). I will also make my own discharge, and eventually upgrade the TRX ESC for 10 gauge. I like power, lots of power, only thing is that I like GAS power. Something that burbles is much better that a Prius sound... Will be contacting Traxxas today to set this in motion so I can have my stuff.
    On the website for the 180 amp esc you can get the correct bullet connectors for dirt cheap. Plus this esc is programmable. Its your money. Do what you will. But you said it yourself. Your young and cant keep dishing out money. So you should get the 180 amp esc not the 80 amp for the same price. I would never buy the same thing that has fried on people on MANY occasions. It WILL happen again. The stocker is only 80 measly amps for crying out loud.

p.s.
    EVERY FE boater knows...traxxas connectors arent good enough for the spartan. You NEED 5.5 mm bullets on EVERYTHING. Or else you will fry out your lipos and possibly esc because the trx connectors cant handle it...So your going to need to solder anyway... Im telling you this from experience...
    Last edited by Socalirevo; 11-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I understand it is a better decision to get the SK 180, except I cannot rap my head around a non-TRX ESC just yet. Yes the TRX connectors will be going into the parts bin and maybe some Castle Polarized 6.5mm(maybe a little bigger but....) I will be giving this ESC one more shot and that's it. I will be sending the old stuff away today via UPS.... Which solder wire is the BEST quality(not the $200 per ft wire but something that will handle current) What I don't understand if I have smaller connectors wont lower current flow? I realize my decisions can be "out past the fence" but I have a better feeling on this one...
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    I would really like to switch to some aftermarket stuff motor/ESC but if it breaks no one stands behind their product like Traxxas. And I would go with 10-12 gauge wire and Castle bullets.