Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Just had a good read of your thread and it's pretty special......you have an awesome piece of kit you are building and the quailty of your thread is very inspiring.....also the quality of the components you are using is top class......can't wait to see your finished Porsche....great work cooper

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Just had a good read of your thread and it's pretty special......you have an awesome piece of kit you are building and the quailty of your thread is very inspiring.....also the quality of the components you are using is top class......can't wait to see your finished Porsche....great work cooper
    Thanks Simon - i'm super excited to get this built and on the road. It's been fun doing the build thread too. It feels pretty self indulgent, but I guess they go over well.

Cheers!

Coop
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    It is a top quality model and that Brumo's Porsche theme should do it justice!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    It is a top quality model and that Brumo's Porsche theme should do it justice!
    The Brumos part of the project is making progress today. A new sheet of graphics is about to come off the Epson.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Speaking of graphics, they look really cool glued in. I used XXX Main glue, followed their instructions and got great results. Really looking forward to seeing these without the protective film. The graphics are pulled from photos, cleaned up, then boosted a bit in saturation and contrast to give them a little punch.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    Looks great!
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looks great!
    Thank you. I'm happy with the glued graphics. Next time though, I think I'll use thinner photo paper in a small sheet fed printer. The large format Epson printer im pulling these off of uses a roll of traditional thickness photo stock. For gluing the curved surfaces I needed to soak the cut up graphic and peel the thinner outer surface from the thick backing. The thin surface bends into curved areas like the yellow side marker spot better.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    One of the whimsy elements in the graphics? (I'm not building a true scale repro of the Brumos 934, but using it as a guide) On the original Brumos car, it says "Made in Jacksonville" on the rear. I've got my own spin on that; "Made in Santa Cruz", with a locally famous Mystery Spot bumper sticker. The body is almost ready to start masking for paint now. Yay!

The original 935's backend
    Last edited by thinkcooper; 10-23-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Qualifier
    Outstanding coop.....really looking forward to the finished product....loving the Santa Cruz spin...

RC Racer
    Outstanding coop.....really looking forward to the finished product....loving the Santa Cruz spin...
    Thanks Simon! I'm anxious to wrap this up as well. I "worked" from home yesterday and was able to get closer to the finish line; at least put it in line of sight.

I've been playing with wheels and ride height. Looking at all the old images of 934s online, they run a high profile tire, very unlike the sweeps I'll be actually using on-road. So when the 934 GT8 sits on a shelf, it'd be shod with these traditional looking wheels. DE Racing Trinidad SCs, White, in 17mm, shod with Panther Slicks. Nice.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Here's the chassis running those Trinidads and Panthers

And with the shell atop it, no real ride height tweaks yet

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    So I swapped in the XO-1 front shock tower, moved the original Slash front shock tower to the rear, and mounted up my e-Revo GTR shocks/springs to try and lower the front tower and net more front hood space.

the front

the rear

up front the tower leans back for better clearance with the body. I also used a 3mm nut to provide a little spacing between the spring and camber link. Although it doesn't look it, there actually is a little sliver of clearance behind the spring.

front shock detail

rear shock detail

top view just 'cause it looks so cool

Tonight, I need to do some taping and paint prep. NEED...
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    Decals are looking great Thinkcoop! I'm not sure I'm really digging the big rubber though. Scale or not, I just think it looks better with the lower profile tires.. However maybe once it's painted, I'll recant

RC Racer
    Decals are looking great Thinkcoop! I'm not sure I'm really digging the big rubber though. Scale or not, I just think it looks better with the lower profile tires.. However maybe once it's painted, I'll recant
    Your right to do so has been reserved.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

What an excellent build!!! Looks great!
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    What an excellent build!!! Looks great!
    Thank you!
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    cant wait to see the final product! nice build!
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by panek33 View Post
    cant wait to see the final product! nice build!
    Thanks man! I spent some time yesterday shooting black trim on the bumper, sides and surrounds for the lens graphics. Started taping the window trim as well - that's gonna be a bear. Yikes! The deltaplastik kits look cool, but this body didn't include window masks, so I'm creating my own using my tape line for the trim as a cutting edge. It took about half an hour to mask out the windshield. Five more windows to go.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Qualifier
    Keep going with the masking coop.....it will all be worth it.....look at this masking job I did....Lol....like yourself I have lots of patience and love masking as it gives me self satisfaction!!!.....http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ge7.....thread 244 and 245.... The hard work pays off

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper View Post
    Thanks man! I spent some time yesterday shooting black trim on the bumper, sides and surrounds for the lens graphics. Started taping the window trim as well - that's gonna be a bear. Yikes! The deltaplastik kits look cool, but this body didn't include window masks, so I'm creating my own using my tape line for the trim as a cutting edge. It took about half an hour to mask out the windshield. Five more windows to go.
    Just remember to take pictures!
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

RC Racer
    Keep going with the masking coop.....it will all be worth it.....look at this masking job I did....Lol....like yourself I have lots of patience and love masking as it gives me self satisfaction!!!.....http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ge7.....thread 244 and 245.... The hard work pays off
    I saw that image and was like Wow , then I was all like Wow , but then I said Wow. . It looks like you've got your tape joints well burnished down, but I found on my 934 that some of the under tension/curved corners of tape were pulling off the surface no matter how well I burnished it.

Been doing some research online, and I think I'm gonna try liquimask next time. Not as in "painting in" the masked areas, but painting the whole underside, then cutting out areas color by color. I don't like how nerve wracked I get about paint flowing under tape intersections via capillary action. I want to shoot my paint through the airbrush loose, with lots of layers (a better recipe for ugly capillary bleed there isn't...). Anyway, tomorrow will bring some photos and more results following the current plan of tape-attack.
    Last edited by thinkcooper; 10-25-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by panek33 View Post
    Just remember to take pictures!
    Will do man!
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Qualifier
    I have tried many masking tapes and found a low tack frog tape is brilliant.........I have tried using liquid mask and just couldn't cut the lines required accurate enough and that xacto to body action scared me...Lol........again if you have time read.... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e-so-far/page4 pages 4,5,6.....srry to keep bring my thread into yours.....look forward to your progress my good man

RC Champion
    How are those panther slicks?

RC Champion

That's Dead Sexy!! Lose the tires though

RC Qualifier
    I've had the best luck with some 1/8 or 1/4 vinly tape. It stretches, you can do curves, and cuts easy if your trying to box something in. Can find it at paint stores or a Napa stores, kinda expensive. But I've been using the same roll for 5 bodies now.
    MERV SV3/5700
    Slash MMP/2400
    Slayer Pro
    Spartan

RC Racer
    That's Dead Sexy!! Lose the tires though
    Haters gonna hate.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BomberSTi View Post
    I've had the best luck with some 1/8 or 1/4 vinly tape. It stretches, you can do curves, and cuts easy if your trying to box something in. Can find it at paint stores or a Napa stores, kinda expensive. But I've been using the same roll for 5 bodies now.
    That's been my technique as well, especially for this body's paint scheme. There are two large stripes on the front hood, rear deck and wing, each flanked with a small pin stripe on the side, and then two matching color pinstripes from the headlights all the way to the rear lights. Here's some detail images of the window trim.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Qualifier
    Wow coop that's looking real slick so far....brilliant attention to detail on windows....

RC Champion
    Haters gonna hate.
    We all packing G's we all talking s.......

You know its going to look good when the body is looking so good already!

RC Racer
    Wow coop that's looking real slick so far....brilliant attention to detail on windows....
    I got blisters on my fingers...

We all packing G's we all talking s.......

You know its going to look good when the body is looking so good already!
    Yeah yeah yeah, something like that. This drove my old man eyes crazy. Almost ready to start shooting colors.... Maybe by the weekend it'll look right.

If I were shooting for true scale, I'd be bummed, but the thinnest (workable) tape for my eyes and hands to be able to work with comes close enough to mask out these blue/red pin stripes that flare out at the tail.

These headlight photo-based headlight graphics are gonna look pretty trick once they have the chrome painted on the bezel.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Part II

Close enough for gubmint work.

------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Qualifier
    When your speech less you know it's either amazing or s#*t........Aaaaaaamazzzzzzzzzzzzzzing coop!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Champion
    Wow that is what I call a tape job.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Racer
    When your speech less you know it's either amazing or s#*t........Aaaaaaamazzzzzzzzzzzzzzing coop!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sverige View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    Wow that is what I call a tape job.
    Thanks guys!
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    Looks great! Great job on the masking!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Keep up the good work man. I totally dig the Porshe. I'm ready to see some paint on it though.

I run some TRCE on my Slash 4x4, well have been for over a year now. Good stuff so far.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looks great! Great job on the masking!
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Keep up the good work man. I totally dig the Porshe. I'm ready to see some paint on it though.

I run some TRCE on my Slash 4x4, well have been for over a year now. Good stuff so far.
    Thanks!

It's been a busy week work wise, and just wrapped a lovely MTB ride with Mrs. thinkcooper. I think tomorrow is paint day. Hope...
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    I think tomorrow is paint day. Hope...
    It was paint day. And man it looks sweet. Pictures Monday.

Cheers!

Cooper
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)