Thread: Cooling upgrade

RC Enthusiast

Cooling upgrade

After a high speed collision with the shore I bought a new hull and decided to go with blue. I also added cooling upgrades from OSE (Dual pickup rudder, aluminum cooling jacket, dual water outlet). Haven't had it on the pond yet, hopefully tomorrow.

Added the splash guard too.

OSE trim tabs are next.

RC Qualifier
    Very nice, looks very close to mine! Let us know hoe those OSE trim tabs work out! I have looked at these and highly considering them since no mods are needed...
    http://shop.rcboatbitz.com.au/index....oducts_id=1688

RC Qualifier
    They look great! The only problem is that they ship from Australia. Thats a long ship to the US.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    Yep, I reallylike the look of them vs. the OSE tabs. Guess It would be winter upgrade! They have a few more toys for the Spartan so I guess it would be a $150---+ order!

RC Qualifier
    Thats what I am thinking. I want the dual pick up rudder, trim tabs, and the strut. The total is about $150.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Enthusiast
    I'll keep you posted on them. As cool as the ones look that you posted I'm going to stick with OSE. He's in the states and ships FAST.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks FearSys, I prefer to order from the U.S, but I have been to Australia so was thinking about giving boat blitz a shot for my orders. It looks as they have some very good products, the only issue would be waiting. I just email OSE on their CNC trim tabs to see how long they are, I asked them before but never got a straight answer. Just curoius, has anyone wired 4 lipos together? Assuming that the owner has 4 5000mah packs @11.1VTS, then if wired they could have a total of 10,000MAH on each side. Just some thinking while sitting at the dinner table! Maybe something like this but with LARGE cabling and connectors??? This means in my thoughts that I could have 22.2VTS and 20,000mah total!!!!

I think it's a parallel Y harness for the 1/16 line, in theory it could work? Don't mean to try and change the thread topic....
    Last edited by Spartanator; 10-09-2013 at 09:32 PM.

The 1/16 adaptor would never handle the current the Spartan power system pulls. You would need to remake it with loose connectors and at least the 13ga wire that comes stock on the Spartan ESC. I would say 12ga is better.

That being said, if you put 4x 5000mah 11.1v packs in the boat the weight would be tremendous. I would be concerned about overheating the system due to the difficulty of pulling so much extra weight around coupled with the longer runtime. Run one pair of batteries, swap, then run the others with a cool down period in between. The most we suggest running at one time are two 8400mah 11.1v packs.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Yep, I reallylike the look of them vs. the OSE tabs. Guess It would be winter upgrade! They have a few more toys for the Spartan so I guess it would be a $150---+ order!
    They say that the strut is 10mm longer and will require the use of a longer flex shaft or wire drive depending on what you use. Also, they have bushings in the strut instead of bearings..... Just some food for thought..... It's only $$$$
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    The 1/16 adaptor would never handle the current the Spartan power system pulls. You would need to remake it with loose connectors and at least the 13ga wire that comes stock on the Spartan ESC. I would say 12ga is better.

That being said, if you put 4x 5000mah 11.1v packs in the boat the weight would be tremendous. I would be concerned about overheating the system due to the difficulty of pulling so much extra weight around coupled with the longer runtime. Run one pair of batteries, swap, then run the others with a cool down period in between. The most we suggest running at one time are two 8400mah 11.1v packs.
    I know the adapter couldnt handle the power but was just curious if it would work, yes the weight would turn flex cables into twizzlers. I use to run the 8400mah @ 7.4 but no longer have those lipos. I destroyed a flex cable on 4s with a bag of ice(to help cooling, which it did not due to extra weight). I wish SPC made batts with more mah!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    They say that the strut is 10mm longer and will require the use of a longer flex shaft or wire drive depending on what you use. Also, they have bushings in the strut instead of bearings..... Just some food for thought..... It's only $$$$
    The flex I have is long enough for that strut. I think it would help with precision tuning. The only problem is that I have to drill two extra holes in the transom. I am not too keen on that idea.