Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Traxxas Employee

Telluride crawler project

So I got to wondering if I could make the Telluride into a respectable crawler. There are inherent limitations of course, but I think it may have a few surprises up its sleeve. One big limitation is the lack of crawler tires for wheels that will fit on the hub. For now I will stick with the Trencher SCs, but I may see what kind of tires I can fit on 2.8" rims. I'm hoping I can find a way to mount some true crawler tires on them--maybe even some real beadlocks.

For now these are the important mods:

1) VXL-3s powering a 24 turn Titan Marine motor with a 9t pinion and 54t spur. This offers outstanding torque and low speed control. Top speed was pretty pathetic until I added the 9.6v battery. Now it is probably back up to stock speed with 3x more torque on the low end.

2) Slipper clutch--you will need to upgrade this with anything other than the stock 12t motor. For now I'm still using the regular upgraded slipper clutch, though I may get the heavy duty unit eventually. I also think it's wise to get the aluminum bearing adapter for the slipper shaft. It will control wobble better. Much criticism has been levied at the nylon driveshaft. I don't know why. It handles all the torque I throw at it and I prefer it to the aluminum shaft. The aluminum shaft has more play. The nylon shaft is quieter and lurches less at low speed. Long live the nylon driveshaft!

3) I've replaced the turnbuckles and all camber links with the aluminum units. You need to trim about 2mm off the ends to use them as camber links, but they do give you more adjustable camber options than the factory holes.

4) I'm using big bore shocks for their improved smoothness and progressive rate springs for now. The progressives with the large pretensioners allow the truck to sit up a little higher for more ground clearance. They are soft enough to allow plenty of travel, but prevent you from bottoming out.

5) The Stampede 4x4 shock guards fit with a little bit of modification and allow you to push over rocks more easily than bare A-arms.

6) Today I put in a 2075 servo for more torque. If you are crawling over rocks or getting stuck in ruts, the extra torque will probably save you from burning out servos.

7) Trencher X SCs--these offer outstanding grip on most surfaces, but on a 2.2/3" wheel, they just don't have the kind of sidewall flex you need in a crawler. We will see how well they perform.

I've made a few other mods, but they were mainly just for kicks. The lights look awesome, but they don't like rollovers. They do light up the night though!

I hope to make some crawler videos this weekend. For now all I have are the pics.

Now get out there and start modding your Tellurides!

Traxxas Employee
    I forgot to add that I put in 200k diff fluid front and rear. I will see how well it handles crawling duty. I'm thinking I will eventually need to add 500k. I don't want the diffs completely locked, but almost. I'm also waiting on new spider gears so I can complete a pair of X0-1 diffs with the improved supports. I would rather have several complete diff carriers of different weight that I can pop in and out. I hate trying to clean out old fluid and put in fresh. That stuff is nasty!

I also ordered an 8t pinion for crazy torque. With the 9.6v battery it should still have acceptable top end for a crawler. LiPos would give me more punch, but this thing hardly lacks torque as it is. It would have no top end whatsoever with a 2s and I'm sure a 3s would burn up the motor in short order. Maybe someday I will consider a brushless sensored motor for it.
    Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 10-09-2013 at 01:55 AM.

I've never had good luck with brushless motors and crawling, even 'dedicated' crawler setups. Brushed always seemed the way to go.

RC Enthusiast
    Wouldnt it be better with a esc with dragbrake then the VXL-3s?

RC Qualifier
    I thought the VXL-3S was a dedicated brushless ESC?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Enthusiast
    I thought so also. But after reading about the esc it supports brushed motors also

I have been looking for a new esc for my telluride also and it seems like vxl-3s is a good option. But i really want one with dragbrake on it...

Traxxas Employee
    The VXL-3S will definitely support a brushed motor.

Yes, drag brake would be ideal. I'll see how well I can control it like it is.

VXL-3S runs brushed without issue. VXL-3M does not.

RC Qualifier
    Nice build! It's cool to see another modded Telluride. I think once it catches on, we'll see a few more!!! Let me know how that marine motor works out. What's the Kv equivalency of 25T? I have the 2800Kv motor in mine, and thinking of dropping the 2400 in...any thoughts?

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

Traxxas Employee
    I don't know what the equivalent brushless motor would be. I'm not a fan of sensorless brushed motors in a crawling application. They just don't handle partial throttle input well enough. With this setup I can creep along all day long. At the lowest throttle level, the truck is actually silent. I can creep up behind people and they don't hear it. I will see how well the motor holds up this weekend. If it gets too hot, I may get a higher turn motor. The Titan Marine was cheap though and seems pretty robust.

I may throw in a center diff with 500k just for kicks and see how that does.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    I'm not a fan of sensorless brushed motors in a crawling application.
    Er, brushless that is...

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Quiet operation...mount a camera...& sneak up on people!!! Spy Truck!
    I'm running 200/200 in mine, have 300 & 500 to try. Will put 300 in the rear next.
    AB

RC Enthusiast
    I have 500k front/back in mine. works like a charm! much better crawling But really missing a drag brake. But a higher turn motor would brake a little more then the 12t i guess...

Are u still running the stock gearing? I see some people going over to 32pitch gearing.. Is that better for crawling or something?

RC Champion
    You're off to a great start so far! If you don't mind, I would make a couple suggestions too.

Tires; You might consider the soft compound SC Trenchers, I think the sidewall tread should help with any side bite while crawling.

Beadlocks, I would seriously look at the Proline Short Course Beadlocks, they should give some decent wheel weight without having to add extra wheel weight, and will allow you to experiment with other similar SC tires without having to buy new wheels. I'd go so far as to use the ProTrack specific beadlocks just to narrow it up a little more and make it look a bit more scale......but that's just me.

Motor; if that Marine motor gives up, look at the Titan 21t from the Maxx and Revo. With your current gearing, it should still have plenty of low down grunt for the smaller and lighter trucks like the Telluride and scale trucks like the SCX10, plus it will be able to handle 16.8v, so putting a 3s in the truck won't be a problem!

I'm not sure about going brushless, I would go with a high turn and sensored get up if I were going to, maybe at least 21.5 like my Comp Crawler uses, maybe even go to a 25.5 VTA spec motor, especially if you can find it in 550 size. I didn't like too much drag brake on my SCX-10, almost preferred the XL-5 over the Axial AE2 in mine (still need to dial back that drag brake) as the truck would always try to flip onto it's nose when I let off with the current drag brake setting (30% IIRC).

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!
    Aw, Biscuits!

Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post

Motor; if that Marine motor gives up, look at the Titan 21t from the Maxx and Revo. With your current gearing, it should still have plenty of low down grunt for the smaller and lighter trucks like the Telluride and scale trucks like the SCX10, plus it will be able to handle 16.8v, so putting a 3s in the truck won't be a problem!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!
    The Titan Monster from the E-Maxx is a 21T while the Marine is a 23T.

RC Enthusiast
    Those proline protrack u speak of. Do you have a link to them? I cant seem to find the correct ones... And i want a pair

RC Champion
    Here's the link to their wheel page, turns out they're called Protrac, without the k...
    http://prolineracing.com/short-cours...t-truck-wheels

You might also try modifying the foams so they collapse some under load like the tires are aired down.
    Aw, Biscuits!

Traxxas Employee
    Here are the videos from this weekend's crawling exercise. The little Telluride did better than I expected, but there is no doubt that it needs 500k diff fluid. Even with 200k, the tires were breaking away way too easily. I'm also probably going to get 5" Badlands tires on the 2.8" rims. They are barely wider than these, but .75" higher and that's definitely what it needs.

I've given the little guy a name: Telly. Who loves ya, baby?

Thank you for sharing. Did you get the water out of the tires?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Thank you for sharing. Did you get the water out of the tires?
    Very little went in as far as I can tell. A tiny bit came out, but they aren't out of balance. The holes are much smaller than those on the stock wheels. If any went in, I think I will use a syringe to draw it out rather than bigger holes in the tires.

I did have fun spending 3 hours taking it apart and cleaning/oiling every single bearing. I left it overnight before cleaning it. Two of the bearings had gotten rough already and seized, but all the others seem fine now. It amazes me when people complain about their bearings going out when they run them 10 times through water and never once clean or oil their bearings.

Wow, hold on a sec... Are you guys saying the VXL-3S can run brushed motors?!?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Wow, hold on a sec... Are you guys saying the VXL-3S can run brushed motors?!?
    Yep, runs them pretty well too. I wish it had a drag brake, but you can't have everything. It did okay without one.

See posts 6 through 8.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Thanks for the vids!
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    OUTSTANDING VIDS!!! Great work on the rig! I want to come & play in YOUR back yard!!!
    AB

Traxxas Employee
    Well, the SC Trenchers are awesome for trails, but they don't cut it for crawling. They have a good tread pattern, but no sidewall flex at all. I ordered some 2.2" Flat Irons with memory foam for better rock action.

I also need some softer progressive springs. I'm going down 10% to see if I can get better wheel articulation. I will probably need to trim the fender slightly or raise the body to make room for the bigger tires and more suspension travel.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    Well, the SC Trenchers are awesome for trails, but they don't cut it for crawling. They have a good tread pattern, but no sidewall flex at all. I ordered some 2.2" Flat Irons with memory foam for better rock action.

I also need some softer progressive springs. I'm going down 10% to see if I can get better wheel articulation. I will probably need to trim the fender slightly or raise the body to make room for the bigger tires and more suspension travel.
    I'm running the Trencher X SC soft compound too. I did the tire foam mod on the fronts, makes a world of difference! I also have some PitBull R/C tires on order, I want to see how they work out.

I'm running the GTR shocks with -10% rate, it does make a difference. I'm thinking of going softer. I also have some Pro Line shocks I want to try out, I have the spring kit for them to adjust the stiffness.

AB

Traxxas Employee
    I looked at several Pitbulls. I wanted to stay under 5" for now so I wouldn't need to make major cuts in the body. I think I will keep my Trenchers like they are and just use them for trails and dirt. The Flat Irons look like a pretty good tire and the size is right. I'll be mounting them on some beadlock rims.

-20% seems a little too soft, but I'll give them a shot if the -10% don't work.

RC Qualifier
    I ordered these...http://www.pbxrc.com/ProductDetails....ode=PB9004ZKSC I saw them at RCX, but didn't get them...should have, they're out of stock. Also got memory foam inserts.

AB

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    I ordered these...http://www.pbxrc.com/ProductDetails....ode=PB9004ZKSC I saw them at RCX, but didn't get them...should have, they're out of stock. Also got memory foam inserts.

AB
    Those look like they'll be great tires! Mighty consider the Comp compound instead though, the softer compounds work better in the rocky terrain.
    Aw, Biscuits!

Traxxas Employee
    I've gone off the deep end with mods! Everything should come together in about two weeks. I hate waiting!!!

RC Qualifier
    I could not agree any more. Also great looking truck!