Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Well the time came, driveshaft got too hot and the plastic melted.
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    Pics from yesterday

RC Competitor
    Sean, what trailing arms are you using and what length are they? I'm considering building my own for my 1/10th scale truck like I did on my 1/16th.

RC Qualifier
    I don't have the measurements at the moment but they're vaterra twin hammers arms. Ive seen someone make them out of cutting board sandwiched between metal pieces before. I guess it just depends on your materials and tools at hand.

RC Competitor
    I have a set of the TH arms but they seem a little short... I built a nice set out of steel for my little truck and I think I'm going to do the same for my current build.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah they're a little short but they work well for me. I think the rc4wd hardcore ones would be perfect

RC Qualifier
    I just saw the orange Robby Gordon trophy truck heading the other way down the freeway lol. My dad saw the first one a couple minutes before. I saw the sponsors like speed energy and traxxas on it. So awesome. I bet they're heading back from a race.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    I just saw the orange Robby Gordon trophy truck heading the other way down the freeway lol. My dad saw the first one a couple minutes before. I saw the sponsors like speed energy and traxxas on it. So awesome. I bet they're heading back from a race.
    Ya the baja 500 was this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    Man I completely forgot you had your own thread! How are things coming with the truck??
    - Custom 1/10 BJ Baldwin TT - SCT410 - Mini Slash

RC Qualifier
    Haha thx it's okay I guess. My truck is running decently and it's pretty fun, but I thing I'm gonna need a more powerful system than the vxl-3s in the long run. As it is, it goes maybe twenty or so mph and I don't really want to gear up anymore because everything gets too hot. When it gets hot enough, I get some torque/cogging issues because of the weight.
    I also melted through another e revo driveshaft today. I really don't know what to do because I'm actually in debt ATM so I can't really buy more parts. I'm pretty sure the problem is just the offset diff. I've tried spraying wd40 on the metal part of the driveshaft before running it so it doesn't get too hot, but that doesn't work very long. If I can't figure something out, I might just take a break from it and put my e revo back together until I can possibly get some parts for my birthday. An rc4wd centered wraith diff would be really nice...

RC Enthusiast
    Do what you can to get the angle out of the drive line. Too much plunge is eating your parts up by friction. That is also probably why you broke drive shafts as well, too much angle. Hopefully you get what I'm saying, not sure if full sized terms are the same as RC ones here. Sitting at ride height with your driveline level would be about optimum. It still will have a lot of plunge (in and out change in shaft length) because of the angle change and the length of the drive shaft required, it just shouldn't want to bind as badly. Can you move the motor/trans forward at all to increase the drive shaft length? That would help as well. Your pics look like Cyn Springs/Box Springs area, Sycamore Canyon perhaps?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Do what you can to get the angle out of the drive line. Too much plunge is eating your parts up by friction. That is also probably why you broke drive shafts as well, too much angle. Hopefully you get what I'm saying, not sure if full sized terms are the same as RC ones here. Sitting at ride height with your driveline level would be about optimum. It still will have a lot of plunge (in and out change in shaft length) because of the angle change and the length of the drive shaft required, it just shouldn't want to bind as badly. Can you move the motor/trans forward at all to increase the drive shaft length? That would help as well. Your pics look like Cyn Springs/Box Springs area, Sycamore Canyon perhaps?
    Its definitely not Sycamore, but that does look like an awesome place to bash.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    It's just a fire road by my house in SoCal. I keep on discovering new sections to explore there, it pretty fun to do some "scaling" lol

RC Qualifier
    That sucks. I would do like MAC FAB suggested and try to move the trans up to help reduce the drive shaft angle. Since your axle isn't centered your drive shaft is already diagonal and when it goes to full droop it goes to an even crazier angle, causing your problems.

RC Qualifier
    Well to fix your drive shaft angle problem I would try to move your trans forward and get a longer drive shaft like others have stated. Where in socal do you live? If you are close to me I can try to help you out and we can drive some rc's also.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    Well to fix your drive shaft angle problem I would try to move your trans forward and get a longer drive shaft like others have stated. Where in socal do you live? If you are close to me I can try to help you out and we can drive some rc's also.
    And maybe once I get my drivers license I can head on down there and bash with you guys! Sean, what weight shock oil are you running? (feels so wierd writing my own name to address someone else lol)

RC Qualifier
    It's a little soft, only forty weight. I'm running a little dual rate spring set up I made that doesn't really seem very effective lol. I'm in north ish county SD about half an hour from downtown. What about u guys? I figure one of these days I'm gonna have to head down and check out fiesta island with my tt. Looks kinda legit, anyone go recently? If so, is it still as worth going to? I have a few nice bash spots nearby still

Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    That sucks. I would do like MAC FAB suggested and try to move the trans up to help reduce the drive shaft angle. Since your axle isn't centered your drive shaft is already diagonal and when it goes to full droop it goes to an even crazier angle, causing your problems.
    Yah thanks for the help, I don't really have much room to play around with my transmission because it sits pretty close to battery. I'm thinking this summer will bring with it a fourth chassis build with a LOT of modifications and changes from the current one. Lower cog, more wiggle room for mounting stuff, more accurately measured out, more suspension action, etc. I'm also considering moving the vertical plates farther apart from each other with the next chassis. This will help out a lot with the pinion angle, and I I get a center diff axle someday, I'll just remount the transmission and be ready to go. As you can see, I lots of plans lol. Call me crazy, but I might be having more fun planning and building and tuning this thing than actually running it...

Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Yeah I totally understand what you mean by the plunge angle thing. I've been thinking a ton about how I could fix how much it changes as it cycles, but can't really come up with anything. I got to check out a vaterra twin hammers at a hobby shop in San Marcos and noticed that the top links are actually shorter than the lowers, and the pinion angle doesn't change much. Ideas?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-10-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Yah thanks for the help, I don't really have much room to play around with my transmission because it sits pretty close to battery. I'm thinking this summer will bring with it a fourth chassis build with a LOT of modifications and changes from the current one. Lower cog, more wiggle room for mounting stuff, more accurately measured out, more suspension action, etc. I'm also considering moving the vertical plates farther apart from each other with the next chassis. This will help out a lot with the pinion angle, and I I get a center diff axle someday, I'll just remount the transmission and be ready to go. As you can see, I lots of plans lol. Call me crazy, but I might be having more fun planning and building and tuning this thing than actually running it...
    That's the whole thing about testing lol. You saw how many phases and chassis' mine went though until I got it how I wanted it. Like you said if you're having trouble with this one just make a new one. Take your time in planning because that's the #1 most important part.

And you guys is Cali have so many sick places to go run your trucks!! I wish I lived over there

RC Qualifier
    It's a little soft, only forty weight. I'm running a little dual rate spring set up I made that doesn't really seem very effective lol. I'm in north ish county SD about half an hour from downtown. What about u guys? I figure one of these days I'm gonna have to head down and check out fiesta island with my tt. Looks kinda legit, anyone go recently? If so, is it still as worth going to? I have a few nice bash spots nearby still
    I'm in poway. Let me know if you are ever at fiesta island sean1214 and seanycool i'd most likely be able to make it.

RC Qualifier
    I'm in poway. Let me know if you are ever at fiesta island sean1214 and seanycool i'd most likely be able to make it.
    Yeah sure I think sometime this summer I want to go check it out with my tt. I'll let u know.
    Okay don't make fun of me for this or anything but yesterday I figured out an ingenious way to increase my rear travel, something I should've thought about a while ago. I figured if I flipped around the trailing arms, the shocks would have more leverage and this give the axle more travel. At full droop after doing this, the axle had a ridiculous amount of down travel, not very realistic lol. I adjusted the shocks and now it looks a little better. I might or might not run it with this chassis anymore, we'll see. I think I'll be using this idea in my next chassis. More pics from before I limited the travel...

RC Champion
    I'm in Temecula so I'm pretty far north of you guys, where is fiesta island? If you have a build thread for your rigs can you post a link I want to check'em out. Thanks!

Yeah sure I think sometime this summer I want to go check it out with my tt. I'll let u know.
    Okay don't make fun of me for this or anything but yesterday I figured out an ingenious way to increase my rear travel, something I should've thought about a while ago. I figured if I flipped around the trailing arms, the shocks would have more leverage and this give the axle more travel. At full droop after doing this, the axle had a ridiculous amount of down travel, not very realistic lol. I adjusted the shocks and now it looks a little better. I might or might not run it with this chassis anymore, we'll see. I think I'll be using this idea in my next chassis. More pics from before I limited the travel...
    Travel. Wouldn't ever have to worry about lack of tire contact with that much travel. That might be more travel than my bike has lol.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I'm in Temecula so I'm pretty far north of you guys, where is fiesta island? If you have a build thread for your rigs can you post a link I want to check'em out. Thanks!

Fiesta island is in the san diego in mission bay. I don't have any build threads for my truck either. I just have pictures and video of it.

RC Qualifier

Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build (somewhat slow)

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Travel. Wouldn't ever have to worry about lack of tire contact with that much travel. That might be more travel than my bike has lol.
    Lol I know it was kind of ridiculous, the pinion angle would be crazy!

RC Qualifier
    The tt watching the new build plans... I'm using macenite for model material because it's way more sturdy than cardboard lol

RC Qualifier
    Nice that should work a lot better than carboard hahaha Can't wait to see the new design ^^

RC Qualifier
    I got this far last night and started to put it back together. I'm taking it to a skate park later today. back together in normal form.

RC Qualifier
    Some more mocking up. Hopefully I'll be able to the vertical plates tomorrow if Father's Day allows time. Raptor body for reference.

RC Qualifier
    You have the body I want. hahah

RC Qualifier
    It's actually my little brothers body but yeah it's nice despite being so ebay up and cracked

RC Qualifier

I made a prototype vertical plate last night. It looks a little weird so I think I'm gonna change it and make another one later today. I'm buying some custom made trailing arms off of cyconxc's brother in the next couple days. They're gonna be 6 inches long and also bent for a scale kind of look. I'm pretty excited! This truck is gonna be legit!
    Last edited by seanycool; 06-16-2014 at 12:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I drew a new design for the vertical plates. This should allow the battery to sit on the flat part in the front.

RC Qualifier
    I started drawing up my design in google sketch up. The diagonal lines are just there to make sure the angles all line up perfectly. Hopefully this will help me to find the ideal set up and layout of everything without having to keep drawing and cutting out with raw material.

RC Qualifier

I've gotten pretty far in my design. I just have to finish the vertical plates and it'll be done.
    Last edited by seanycool; 06-17-2014 at 08:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I got pretty far in my design. I just have to finish the vertical plates and it'll be done.
    Looking good, I still have to give sketch up a try!

RC Qualifier

Yeah I've used it before, just not on stuff like this, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it's actually been to draw this chassis. It's very user-friendly!

RC Qualifier
    Finished the design!

RC Qualifier
    Finished the design!
    I like it! Especially because you have the battery mounted on the chassis, that alone will help so much. Any reason why the side guards are so low?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I didn't really give much thought to the height of the side guards, I can still make them higher though cause it would probably give more protection. It will depend on the amount of material I have.

RC Qualifier

New trailing arms came on from CyconXC today! Thanks a ton Cycon! Very nice and super strong lol they should last a long time. Also worked on my design. I had some trouble figuring out what I want to do for the placement of things, but I got it now. I'm gonna have the battery on its side again because it's either that or super high above the transmission, raising the cog a lot. That's why my vertical plates still have the weird flat spots on top. I'm getting there! Just need centered wraith housing and metal sheet!

RC Qualifier
    Got the setup all figured put with the new arms. Besides the design of the upper plates, this is the way things are going to sit.