Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Okay guys, I'm sorry I haven't posted in forever, i've been busy and tbh a little lazy too lol. I've also been super involved with my recently converted erbe, which is a blast to drive btw . I got some proline trenchers on renegade rims which will go well on the build, I plan on getting a set for the front as well.
    As for the build, today I cut the vertical plates and lower main plate and mounted the front end on. I also am putting longer lower links on from my e revo to give the axle a better swing axis. Now for some pitchers...

Longer link next to shorter one

Some mocking-up

I'm thinking now after seeing some of these pics I might be able to trim down the tops of the vertical plates, but i'm going to be getting some pretty long shocks, so we'll see.
    Last edited by seanycool; 01-24-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Racer
    Nice job.., got a lot of inspiration of your build. Started my ownbuild now wich is gonna be slow aswell.. Stil going for the 4wd option and maybe 2speed. Using 2 E-Maxx diffs I bought cheep, 1 I put in a 4x4 diff housing, the other 1 is in my alu diff converted into a solid axle. ( work in progress). I am gonna use my Slash tranny but I am gonna cut it up. Using the arms mount in front and half of the tranny to mount the motor. I will drill to make a 4x4 slipper shaft fit an take the rest of the gears out.

RC Qualifier
    Wow that sounds cool, how would you do the two speed? Should be interesting too see.
    After three trips to Home Depot today lol, I finally got everything I needed to really start putting the thing together. I made the vertical plates a little wider apart to give more room for the transmission and did a bunch of experimenting with body fitment. It's not pretty, but I still have a bunch to do. 14/01/26/ynuzaja7.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    It sits at about 4.5 pounds without the body, battery, or electronics. Yesterday I pretty much finished all of the moving/structural parts except for the shocks. I think I'm going to be getting e savage shocks for tons of travel in the rear . I ran into a few problems when I was mounting the rear axle. I had a nice surprise when I realized the upper and lower links had to be parallel to swing freely, so I had to mount the upper links for the third time, and then I noticed the axle was a little crooked, so I had to fix that too :/. I used some aluminum u-channel to mount the lower links instead of an angle piece. When I went to Home Depot, I had to get help from a bunch of people and finally found the u-channel stuff. I didn't want to go to the trouble of finding somebody that would cut it for me, so I unicycled home with a ten foot long piece of aluminum lol. Anyways, here are some pics.

RC Qualifier
    Alright from now on I think I'm only gonna post updates on URC unless anyone objects...
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...=1#post1971518

RC Qualifier
    Okay, I've decided to revive this thread because I'd sort of like to get input from multiple forums and to see if anyone over here is interested. Anyways...
    Big humongous update on this build. I received my new 1/8" 12x24" aluminum in the mail on Friday, as well as some vaterra twin hammers lower trailing arms. The reason for the vth arms is 1. They're shorter 2. They're waaaayyyy stronger, no flex at all 3. They have rotating ball ends on both sides, allowing more flex than the mini trophy arms, which only had a ball end on one side and flexed because of how weak they are.
    On to the chassis! I changed the design of the vertical plates quite a but from the old design. I built them so that the middle of the body will sit on top of the plates and have more support. Another thing I did was I maximized how far out they were spaced, reason being I want to mount my spare tires horizontally this time instead of vertically. Another reason actually was that I was having transmission/upper trailing link interference issues with the last chassis, so now I can mount the transmission without having the links be in the way. On to the pics!
    Little cardboard jig to help with keeping the wheelbase the same while working on it.
    By the way, I did this all yesterday, so sorry about any grammar errors or typos cause I'm pretty tired lol. Any and all feedback appreciated as always! Thx for looking

RC Qualifier

Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build (somewhat slow)

Just for giggles, here is the evolution (since 2012) of my custom "slash" chassis. Until and unless I make a solid axle tube chassis, I think this will be my last solid axle chassis build. So awesome!

RC Racer
    pretty cool to see the evolution, I like that you have found problems along the way and figured out solutions. What's up with the height and the far extension over the rear end? Are you just doing that to mount a spare?
    El que se rie, de sus maldades se acuersa.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerToy View Post
    pretty cool to see the evolution, I like that you have found problems along the way and figured out solutions. What's up with the height and the far extension over the rear end? Are you just doing that to mount a spare?
    Yeah it's for spares and also to support the body in the mid area. It also helps with weight distribution and scale aspect. You should check out cyconxc's trophy truck build if you haven't already. It's pretty legit

RC Qualifier
    Worked out some mudguards yesterday. I still have to do the rest of the other side but I'll do that after I mount the esc. I also finally made my spare tire mount, which still might need some modifying. It adds quite a lot of weight. next will be the transmission and the electronics

RC Enthusiast
    Seeing this makes me want to build one, but go cantilever on the rear shocks. How much lateral flex does this have as we see it? Guessing you built everything out of 6061?

RC Qualifier
    You should it's been really fun! As it is, is definitely has more flex than a stock slash. I don't have it with me right now but it's quite a bit. With my last version, it could almost bend completely sideways. I think it's 3003 alum. but I don't remember exactly

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Seeing this makes me want to build one, but go cantilever on the rear shocks. How much lateral flex does this have as we see it? Guessing you built everything out of 6061?
    If you build a roll cage for it there will be zero flex.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    If you build a roll cage for it there will be zero flex.
    Wait did he mean axle to axle flex/articulation or chassis flex?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    Wait did he mean axle to axle flex/articulation or chassis flex?
    I'm not sure. He's not very clear.

RC Enthusiast
    Chassis flex, the suspension will twist due to the design. Is that floor pan stiff enough or is it flexi-flyer?

RC Qualifier

It has a little amount of flex, probably fine for medium ish sized jumps. I still have another mudguard to add as well as some chassis braces I might make out of steel rod.
    There might not be another update until the weekend because though I have a lot more to do, my supply of random usable screws is running very low and I can't seem to find many more nuts to use. One thing I've found when building a custom chassis is that one tends to end up using a lot of 3mm nuts to bolt stuff down lol. Hardware famine.
    Last edited by seanycool; 05-12-2014 at 10:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Sway bar time! From a wire clothes hanger. Lol wish me luck

RC Racer
    Have you driven it yet?

RC Qualifier

No lol I don't have enough screws and nuts to mount the transmission. I'm also in debt to my parents too so it's gonna be kind of hard to get the hardware. I really do want to drive it though.
    I finished my sway bar and I have to say, I like the scale aspect when they compress. Just articulating and moving it by hand, there is quite a noticeable difference. It's really stiff when twisting the axle, but the same when just pushing it up and down.
    Last edited by seanycool; 05-15-2014 at 03:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm actually pretty surprised how well these sway bars work! I obviously haven't driven it yet but just messing with articulation on the curb, they'll definitely help against swaying lol.

RC Qualifier

Big update, I've made a few changes. I moves the mounting location of the trailing arms to the underside of the chassis. I did this for 1. A more scalish look 2. More down travel (which I still have to work on) 3. So I can have more room to put things where the mounts used to be. I think I'll be doing work on those to make them smoother and less likely to catch up on stuff.

Another thing I did was I remounted the transmission. I moved it over closer to one of the side plates to help with the pinion angle and also made it sit lower down to the chassis. I also swapped the gears out to this one from my rpm transmission because these ones are metal and my rpm transmission doesn't have enough holes to mount with. Right now it's only held on to the chassis with two screws, so soon I'm also going to mount the other side to make it way more stable. I also cut out a strip of the chassis near the transmission to help with driveshaft clearance. Another thing I did was mount the battery. I sort of messed up when building the chassis because I forgot to leave room to mount it. So I ended up putting it sideways using some Velcro and rivets. I'll be putting in a little angle piece next to the battery and also my mud guards back on. Those should help with side to side movement.
    Probably the last big thing I did was change and bend my upper trailing links. I changed out the e revo links for some longer ones, still from my e revo. Then, I bent them so the driveshaft wouldn't interfere with one of the links or vice versa. I also put on some RPM ball ends because they're longer than the stock ones. Lengthening the upper links makes the axle point farther up, helping limit binding in the driveshaft. Now the last major thing to figure out is my power system. It sort of has some work that needs to be done before it runs well. My dream system I would love for this truck is the cc sidewinder sct. It would be perfect. Too bad I don't have $100 laying around huh lol. I'm very pleased with what I was able to do today, I think it should help a lot. Now I just need to finish it up for exhibition day next Wednesday at school! And finally, some 'pichers.

Edit: one thing I would like to do for scale aspect is maybe make some limiting straps out of shoelace. Yay or nay? If I could mount them correctly I think it would look pretty cool.
    Last edited by seanycool; 05-16-2014 at 09:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I use limit straps made out of shoelace. They are easy to make. cut the laces, burn/melt the ends, super glue a loop at 1 end, and you're done.

RC Qualifier
    I moved the trailing arms out to see how sturdy they would be like that. This might actually work to look a little more scalish and have more articulation because the shocks are farther away from the chassis plates. We'll see...

RC Racer
    Nice build man
    slash 4wd upgraded

RC Champion
    Coming along great!
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier

Thanks guys I'm really close to making it drivable. I made four more body mounts today. The body is really sturdy now, probably more than the stock slash set up. I couldn't find any posts for the sides that were short enough, so these long ones will have to work until I can shorten them. I am going to pick my vxl3s system back up from the lhs tomorrow because I needed some soldering done and the. I should be able to throw it in and test the truck. I also made my last mudguard thingy and mounted it.
    The rear of the truck looks a little funky because the spare tires look a little high, but it I think that's just because the body is cut up. A new Chevy body is the next thing on my list as well as some proline trenchers for the front. I'm so excited to get this thing working lol that's what is most rewarding after building something, testing/using it.
    Last edited by seanycool; 05-18-2014 at 11:34 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Any suggestions or ideas or comments are appreciated. Lol I actually need them to help me with this build and see other people's opinions. Thx guys

RC Qualifier
    make the spares sit lower and get the proline ford bronco body.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    make the spares sit lower and get the proline ford bronco body.
    Yah thx I thought about using the bronco body and I think it would look pretty cool, I just don't know how big it is and I wouldn't want to have to cut my chassis to make it fit.

RC Qualifier
    You would have to lower the spare and cut out the back hatch of the body and it would fit.

RC Qualifier

Okay so first real test didn't really go so well. Go everything hooked up and drove it around for a couple minutes, then click and the driveshaft breaks near the axle. I do have extra parts to fix it but this brings out a large issue I really had hoped I wouldn't have to deal with. I felt the piece of the driveshaft that didn't break and was still connected to the axle and it was hot. I'm pretty sure this isn't good. It means there is too much of an angle the driveshaft has to deal with and it's rubbing when the suspension is at full compression. Oh only if I had the rc4wd centered wraith axle lol that won't happen anytime soon. I have quite a bit of problems to work out lol. Such as: not having enough up travel towards the body of the truck, too much of a pinion angle, offset differential, spare tires sit too high... I'm learning more than ever what I need to watch when building this thing lol. I might feel a hint at a v4 chassis, but we'll see. Broken driveshaft
    Besides all that, truck worked decently. I picked up my vxl3s system from the lhs and it's working well. Steering needs a little adjustment, definitely going to have to get some more gears because as it is now, the max might be around 13 or 15 mph
    Last edited by seanycool; 05-20-2014 at 07:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    So I adjusted a couple things and tested it again and another snapped axle. Gosh darn. So I went in and did some work on the mounting of the rear shocks and upper links. Doing this gave the shocks more of an angle to work at, and therefore now more travel. I like this because now the axle can be compressed farther but still extends pretty far down at full droop. I also moved the upper links to some pre drilled holes. Before, when I would compress the axle, it would point up as I compressed it and move back down at full droop. It's sort of hard to explain, but stay with me. By moving the top links closer to the front of the truck, I noticed I was able to eliminate some of this. I still have some more work to do for the pinion angle, but I think I'm pleased with the travel. Now just to get the power to the wheels efficiently and it should be close to perfect!

RC Qualifier
    Made some limiting straps out of shoelace. Also, I don't have any pics really but I put in an e revo driveshaft and made some more adjustments and it holds up way stronger. I did a little test driving this morning and broke a lower link mount. Good thing because I have to make some longer ones anyway.

RC Qualifier
    So my school is doing this event tomorrow called exhibition day where we show off our talents and sell stuff, and our auto shop usually has a car show and drives rc cars around. Hopefully I'll actually be able to drive my tt this year with all of them, but I still have a bunch of stuff on my list to get it ready.
    -finish rebuilding rear shocks
    -realign lower trailing arm mounts
    -get more hardware from the lhs and mount my spare tires
    -figure out how to keep my driveshaft from falling out at full droop
    -charge batteries
    -borrow front tires from my brother's slash (mine are almost bald)
    -adjust and tune ride height/shocks
    -trim lower trailing arm mounts so they're not so sharp and catch on stuff
    I know it's a lot of stuff lol but I think I can do it before tomorrow, but if not, it'll still be drivable

RC Qualifier
    So I knocked off everything on the list last night as well as another major thin I forgot to mention: finishing the mounting of the transmission. I martyr mount for the other side, and now it's super sturdy.
    I don't have any recent pics of it all back together, but I'll post some during one of the sessions at school. It gonna be sweet! All packed up and ready to go with extra tools and parts and an extra battery.

RC Qualifier
    Here are some pics. Sorry I didn't get very many I was obsessing over the handling cause it was so fun. Il be doing more driving later today though, so maybe I can get my photographer brother to come with me. Our auto shop had a little car show and they had this really nice raptor trophy truck thing lol. 3-linked and I-beam front suspension.

RC Qualifier
    Made a front bumper out of some extra aluminum. I might add more to the sides to secure the body better.

RC Qualifier
    You are gonna bend that bumper on the first hit. Also that ranger is sweet, I will have a full size f150 project starting in a couple years.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah thanks I'm planning on adding a brace right behind it for extra strength. This was a little earlier today. I'm having so much fun with this truck, it's handling terrific. The only things that really annoy me about it though are that it's relatively slow because of the reduction and gearing, and it steers pretty slowly because of its weight.