Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build (somewhat slow)

Alright, so after a lot of thinking and inspiration from various threads I've like at lately, I've decided it's my turn for a build project. I've been wanting to do this for a while now and it's the perfect time because riding season just started which means I can take it out there and see how it performs compared to a real trophy truck.
    Due to things such as school, homework, time, funding, etc. this build will be a bit slow, so you'll have to be patient with me.
    I've already sorta done a little work on it (not much) by putting the front end on a rustler chassis, adding protrac front arms, jato links, and a small long travel mod. Here is how it sits now.
    The back end is still on my slash chassis, which I won't really need except for the transmission and an axle or two. I hope to make this a fun build and have it done in the next couple months. Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "That don't make NO sense!"

All builds start somewhere, when you expedite a project the end result may not be as you desired.
    Best of luck with you endeavor.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Question: would an axial trail honcho axle be the right length? http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=181231334330

RC Enthusiast
    The Honcho axle measures about 8 5/8", so itd be a little short, the wraith axle would fit a little better, its a littler over 9".

I'm actually building a solid axle slash a well, and am using the wraith axle, however I'm rethinking my choice because the yolk isn't centered on the wraith axle like it is on the honcho and I'm thinking it might cause clearance problems between the trailing arms and the drive shaft.

An option would be to just get axle extentions for the honcho axle and work from there.
    like these: http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...3#.UlPpe1CGS2c

RC Qualifier
    Do you know if any other company makes them? Not saying they'll definitely be terrible but...

RC Qualifier
    I decided that I'm going to go with the wraith axle since I'll probably be able to figure out any clearance problems and I won't really need to add extensions. I hope there won't be issues.😉

RC Racer
    Just lookin for an axle..? RC4WD sells a solid rear axle kit.. You can get just the axle aswell.. I read somewhere it's much like a HPI Wheely King axle.. I 'm gonna follow this thread cause I wanna do 1 myself but take it a step further... More rockracer like. Allready running a Wrath cage one my "used to be a Slash" 2wd.., wanna go 4wd and 2 speed...

RC Champion
    You don't have the only slow build, keep it up buddy!
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    I feel bad because I'm usually pretty slow at saving money for rc stuff and it's probably gonna be a while until I'm done. I'm excited though. 😊

RC Qualifier
    Small update: ordered the axial wraith axle, should be here soon from dollarhobbyz. I'll also have to get the axles for it too because it doesn't come with them.

RC Qualifier
    I got my wraith axle a couple days ago, I've just been kinda busy. I've already taken it apart a little bit but I have yet to get into the diff. In the description it said it came with a heavy duty diff locker, so does anyone know where I could get some real internal gears for it?
    The next things on my list are a 1x2' piece of aluminum for the side plates and lower main chassis and axial honcho trailing arms. I wanted to get the hardcore trailing arms, but they just went out of stock on rc4wd.com😱 I guess I'll be doing some experimenting on my own if the honcho links don't work well.

RC Qualifier
    Run the axial wraith hardened steel gears. Also make sure to get the pinion with the whole through it so you can have a straight pin go through. Trust me if u don't get the gear with the pin through it you will be loosing grub screws every 30-45 seconds. Just trust me on that. I run these in my solid axle truck with no issues.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-Wraith...item4d13bbec1a

RC Qualifier
    I meant the internal gears inside the diff itself...
    I guess what I'm asking is if there are gears that go inside the diff to replace the locker?

Apparently it's a common mod to open the axial diffs. I got bored and did a little mocking up

Last edited by cooleocool; 10-26-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    hpi firestorm gears.

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, sorry for the lack in any updates. As I predicted, this build has been moving ultra sloooowwwww lol. I almost have a complete solid axle, but I'm unsure as to what other parts I need to complete it. Right now I have the housing, the diff, the locker (will be getting hpi firestorm gears), the upper link mount, and the axle dogbones. I know that I will also need the straight axle adapters, but what else will I need to finish putting it together? Any help will be appreciated.
    The next things on my list will be 1/8 inch aluminum for the chassis (I don't think I mentioned I will be fabricating one instead of using the Rustler stock one), firestorm gears, and hpi rear suspension arms. That's it for now.

RC Qualifier
    Small update: I did some more mocking up and placement with cardboard and things are looking pretty good. It took several hours of cutting, taping, poking holes, and frustration, but I finally got it to where it looks like everything will be well balanced and have no clearance issues. Here is the best placement I've decided on (for now). Sorry for the horrible image quality, I'm using my phone. at first I had a little problem because I knew I was going to need to cut slots for the trailing arms and that would interfere with the battery placement. I figured out that I could fit it towards the front instead of on the side. Since I did that, I'm most likely gonna need to add more weight to the back in addition to the spare tires I plan to mount. I guess I'll figure something out though. Thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by seanycool; 11-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    looks cool.

RC Competitor
    Big props! That's a cool project, I kinda want to copy! I'd probably try a trailing arm set up if I did.
    El que se rie, de sus maldades se acuersa.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys I'll probably get the metal ordered later today so maybe by the weekend I can actually start cutting an bolting things up.

RC Qualifier

Hey guys sorry it's been so long. Thanksgiving break just started so now I have more time for this. I decided to buy some metal from Home Depot because I was tired of trying to find the cheapest online place to get it and I don't want to wait so, on to the details.
    Parts for the chassis itself:
    -1x1 foot steel piece (2x) (not sure of thickness)
    -1/16" angle aluminum bar thingy (Home Depot)
    -10' polyethylene tubing (Home Depot)
    -3/16" ( I could be wrong) 3" countersunk screws (Home Depot)
    -Skateboard screws/nuts lol

More in a little bit, I'm cutting the metal right now. Edit: By the way, I'm not going to use the weird angle thing next to the silver screws

Last edited by seanycool; 11-24-2013 at 05:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Phew, I did a lot today and am pretty tired. After a few hours of work, I came up with this I forgot that I would be drilling more holes before I painted one of the plates. Oops. It's really hard to get all of the holes to line up correctly, but this is only the first one I've made like this. Thanks for looking.

RC Champion
    Looks like a fun project so far. Cant wait to see the end results.
    Rustler VXL, Emaxx, Stampede XL5, Bandit, and MERV

Nice.Keep it up for sure. Coming along well. Keep at it.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier

Big update. Bolted everything up, including electronics. I still need a few things such as hpi lower links, hpi bevel gears, adapters for the axle, and probably a sway bar. I also need to figure out a good way to lock the differential and balance it out more because there's a lot of weight on the right side.
    I'm still working out kinks, but most structural things are done.

Without electronics or battery hold in stands. With electronics and battery hold in stands. Mock-up lower links. Battery hold in stands.
    Sorry about the messy workbench, I haven't really cleaned or organized at all during this build. Weight w/o battery or body (or rear shocks): 5 and 3/4 pounds. Weight with battery and body (no rear shocks): 6 and 3/4 pounds. I'm totally open to any comments, suggestions, or questions. Thx for looking!

Last edited by seanycool; 11-25-2013 at 10:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone know what I could use to lock the diff besides a diff locker? I'm considering play doh or maybe plastic jb weld. Thx

RC Qualifier
    I've found out that the way I have the electronics and stuff set up, it's actually balance perfectly left to right. The way I've been seeing whether it's balanced or not pushes the vertical plates down towards the rear axle and since the plates aren't perfectly aligned, that's why one side leans more than the other. I don't think this will matter much as I will be able to adjust the shocks according to how I need them.

RC Competitor
    NICE! Does the drive shaft hit the link at full compression? Looks a bit close for comfort but I suppose you can control it with some sort of bump stop.
    El que se rie, de sus maldades se acuersa.

RC Qualifier
    Actually, there's a couple centimeters of space between the link and driveshaft pretty much all the way throughout the whole travel length. I will be getting different lower link/trailing arms so I don't know of this will change at all or not.

RC Enthusiast
    cool build!! I'm wondering what you're going to use for shocks?
    it wont let me post a list of my trucks here....

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I think I'm going to stick with the stock rear shocks, though depending on how the build progresses, there may be changes.

RC Qualifier

Sorry for the lack in updates guys. I got off thanksgiving break a few days ago and I put all the parts back on my slash chassis because we went to the desert and the tt wasn't ready. I put the parts back on, installed the axle adapters, and put play doh in the diff. I also did a small mock up of the shock placement. I'm also going to have to do some shock rebuilding and tuning because they kinda suck right now lol. Some pics I just found out that the parts I need to finish this are available at my lhs and I didn't know they were. Hpi bevel gears and suspension arms. I'm waiting for the bevel gears now though from a site that I just found out doesn't have very good reviews. It says the arrival date should be the 11th but I'm not convinced they'll get here because they're coming from china or something. I guess they have been selling parts they don't actually have lately, so I'm keeping hopeful. If they don't come, I'll just request my money back and get them from my lhs.

Last edited by seanycool; 12-05-2013 at 09:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Time to update this thread. I have it up on URC and is seems to be more popular there. Anyways, I got my HPI blitz front upright set as well as my HPI mini trophy trailing arms. When I got them, I noticed the stock bearings were too big for the bearing carriers, so I took out the dremel instead of waiting and getting smaller ones too fit. Derp. I regret that now because the carriers are kind of messed up, so I might et new ones and put in the right sized bearings. The wheels still rotate, but it's just a little tighter than before. Some pics.
    The lower links are installed, just not connected to the chassis yet.
    Btw, I thankfully got my hpi bevel gears in the mail and now I have an operating diff. I think I'm going to go back in and do some shimming though. As always, thanks for looking!

RC Qualifier
    Fixed a couple problems, attached trailing arms to chassis, and did some test driving. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]Full weight without body: ~6 lbs and with body ~6 1/2 lb It performs ok I guess, i'll be angling the shocks more to get more travel and changing the link mounts a little bit.

RC Qualifier
    Little update, I got some 1/8 inch 1'11"x10" aluminum from my ol auto shop teacher which I'm surprised they even had any. I'm returning anything I don't use (which won't be much lol) and I think I have enough. Unfortunately I won't be able to do anything more to update until the 29th or 30th cause we're going to Maine except for planning the layout of everything. Should be pretty good because it's thicker and lighter than the steel I used for the first chassis.

RC Qualifier
    Por qué no comments...

RC Qualifier
    ¡Por què tu build es muy bueno!

Es muy unique that's for sure!

Here's my slower than slow build.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...uot-build-quot
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    ¡Gracias! Tú también!

RC Champion
    Dude this is pretty cool. What tires and body do you think you will end up using?
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks I'm asking for some proline sc trenchers for Christmas and I'll probably end up getting a proline Chevy body for it eventually.

RC Champion
    That would look pretty darn cool.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.