Thread: Flex cables?

RC Qualifier

Flex cables?

I know Jeff Wholt has a few options but which one should I choose, I am all stock plan to run X442(OSE) and 4mm bullet but from Kintec. Any helpful advice/do's or dont's?
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    You can run the x442 with the stock .150 cable, though if you want to run on 6s upgrade it with the .187 cable.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    i got the .078 wire drive. I have multiple 6s runs on it with no issues...

RC Qualifier
    I ran the stock cable with no probs. But I like to run in chop so I upgraded to the .187 just in case.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    I have decided on the .150 from Wholt, I run in slightly chop (in salt water). Any brands of marine grease that's recommended? I will order .187 for when I do a overhaul with the power system...
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    We tend to run in choppy water more often than not. (just the nature of the lake we run at)

After twisting up several .150 cables, both OEM and aftermarket I upgraded one Spartan to a .078 wire drive and the other to a .187 flex cable.

Both drive systems have been solid.

One thing I like about the wire drive is that it doesn't auger the grease out the back as much as the flex cables do. The wire drive always has a good residual coat of grease on it after a couple sets of batteries. This is not to say there is "problem" with grease on the .187, only that there is more grease left on the wire drive after a couple runs.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 10-02-2013 at 10:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hog, do you run stock power? I doubt you do... The grease auger makes a difference for me, I hate having nasty stuff on the transom... You have changed my mind, I have a few weeks before I place an order. What is the difference between flex hex style and set screw style?
    Last edited by Spartanator; 10-02-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    I have just started using Jeff's .078 wire drive and wish I had made the change sooner. With the grease staying inside the tube has been a pure delight, and also less wine than the flex drive.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like I'm ordering a wire drive! Should I get the the flex screw coupler or set screw coupler? What's the differences?
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    I ordered and use the flex screw coupler. It has set screws for the motor side and collet on the wire side. The set screw coupler has set screws on both sides.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I use same as Orca, Collet style coupler. (same style as stock one)

And no, not stock power. One Spartan set up with SK180 and Leopard 4082 1600kv with P220 prop on 6S (.187 flex). the other Spartan set up with SK180 and Castle CC1515 2100kv with X442 prop on 4 or 5S (.078 wire)

Also should note, some grease still works its way out the back, even with the wire drive, just less is all.

I have also modified my stuffing tube and strut so they mate together to further reduce grease loss, and to try and route the grease through the strut bushings before exiting.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 10-02-2013 at 12:50 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks hog, I will get the SK18@ when my stock stuff dies or a rebuild, whichever comes first...I expect a little grease to leave the tubing area but want to reduce the amount... What y'all think of the new strut from OSE? I already have the TRX strut with stainless bearings.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    I use the hex adapter. It uses a 12mm and 10mm wrench to tighten the collet. The set screw uses a set screw.... Get the hex

Also the wire drive is the best upgrade besides the 5 in rudder

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone sell upgrade bearings for the .187 strut?